The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2003, 02:15 AM   #1
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

tilt column ??

yeah, got one for you guy's that's did the van column ugrade for our trucks.got the jumper pig-tail for the turn signal,but what's the separate gray(?) wire for,... the shift ind. light? also.... what about the 4 pronged assembly on the top of the column that's held on by a couple of screws?.....is this the back-up light hook-up??? mines a 68swb.....auto,with non original no-pwr.st. column.makes sense???.thanks for any re: buxman66 and god bless our troops!!
'96 gmc sonoma sle ext-cab. hey it's a 4cyl. 5 spd and good on gas y'know?
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 03:42 AM   #2
Hooter
My other Love

th grey wire is for the light, the other thing is the neutral safety switch/ back up lights

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

thanks hooter.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:57 PM   #4
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

THAD ---- I'VE DONE ALOT OF THESE CONVERSIONS, & IF YOU NEED ANY HELP, OR HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS, FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME, & I,D BE GLAD TO HELP OUT ANY WAY I CAN. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 12:36 AM   #5
Solver

John how did you reattach the neutral saftey switch? Do you cut a new hole further down on column?How do you know where to cut.I have a couple of van tilits and I understand the shortening(collapsing) process(IE drilling out the shaft shear pins). But I have yet to see any pictures of how anyone handles the neutral saftey switch relocation. So as of yet they just set there.
Thanks
Solver
  • 1972 Cheyenne Super 10 LWB-green
  • 1972 GMC 4x4 LWB-White
  • 1971 Cheyenne 10 LWB-Ochre
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Copper
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Black
  • 1969 Custom 10 LWB-lt blue
  • 1968 GMC 3/4 ton-green
  • 1968 1/2 ton swb stepside-silver
  • 1967 Chevrolet CST 10 LWB-green
  • 1967 Chevrolet custom 20 LWB-Maroon
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 02:25 AM   #6
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

I've relocated the nuetral safety switches on a couple of collums. Its just a matter of removing it from the collum where it
s at, & duplicate the hole about 8" farther down the collum shaft. The only tools you really need to do it, is a drill & a die grinder.
More often than not I just jump the purple nuetral safety switch wire. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 03-29-2003, 03:21 AM   #7
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

what exactly is a "neutral safety switch " anyhoo? i presently don't have one on my '68. and how does it interact/work w/ the back-up lights?btw,thanks john for the column and the good pkging you done!it arrived in great cond.! i took the shift ind. hood off and polished the alum. housing and it looks great. **p.s. i think i've got a good handle, like solver said, about the drilling out of the shear pins and collapsing the shaft,but do i need to remove the shaft or just the rag joint connector that was still on your column?will my intermediate shaft on my column (thats in my truck,now) go up inside the new column's shaft?what about jumpin' the purple wire....to where/what? p.m. if you want!take care and thanks again......
Old 03-29-2003, 03:31 PM   #8
junkyardjohn

THAD (BUXMAN) -- TO JUMP THE NUETRAL SAFETY SWITCH, JUST CUT THE PURPLE WIRE GOING IN TO YOUR SWITCH & SPLICE IT IN TO THE PURPLE WIRE COMING OUT. (BYPASSING THE SWITCH ALTOGETHER) IF YOUR TRUCK WAS ORIGINALLY A STICK SHIFT IT WONT HAVE ONE. BE AWARE THAT YOUR TRUCK WILL START IN ANY GEAR NOW.
AS FAR AS MAKING IT SHORTER...... WELL .... IF YOUR 68 HAS AN INTERMEDIATE SHAFT (67s HAVE A SOLID 1 PIECE SHAFT & I HAVE SEEN 68s WITH BOTH. EITHER SOLID 1 PIECE OR 2 PIECE) THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT IS A DOUBLE "D" COLAPSABLE SHAFT THAT GOES FROM YOUR STEERING GEARBOX TO YOUR COLLUM. IT WILL HAVE A RAG JOINT ON ONE END, & A FEMALE SPLINED END ON THE OTHER. (IF YOUR TRUCK DOESN'T HAVE THIS... YOU'LL NEED ONE) YOU'LL SEE A COUPLE OF ALUMINUM OR PLASTIC SHEAR PINS ABOUT HALFWAY DOWN THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT. THEY'RE PROBABLY PAINTED OVER, BUT THEY ARE THERE. (THESE WERE PUT IN PLACE BY GM. IN CASE OF A HEAD ON COLLISION, SO YOUR STEERING SHAFT WILL COLLAPSE INSTEAD OF STABBING YOU IN THE CHEST) ( A GOOD IDEA) ANYWAY... DRILL OUT THE PINS ... & COLLAPSE THE SHAFT ABOUT 2 1/2". YOU MAY HAVE TO HIT THE END OF THE SHAFT WITH A B.F.H. TO GET IT TO COLLAPSE. I LIKE TO HAVE THE OLD COLLUMB REMOVED, SO YOU CAN JUST SLIP YOUR NEW ONE IN PLACE & MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT DISTANCE BETWEEN YOUR SEAT & YOUR STEERING WHEEL. (THERE IS A LITTLE ROOM FOR ADJUSTMENT ROOM TO MAKE IT MORE COMFY FOR FAT GUYS, OR GUYS WITH SHORT ARMS) WHEN YOU GET IT WHERE YOU WANT IT... TIGHTEN ALL THE BOLTS. YOU WONT HAVE TO REPLACE THE SHEAR PINS , AS YOUR INTERMEDIATE SHAFT IS NO DOUBT TIGHTER THAN A NATS BUTT STRETCHED OVER A RAIN BARREL. HOPE THIS HELPS. JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 03-29-2003, 03:38 PM   #9
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

a gnat's butt over a rain barrell!! lol !! hell, i've got it now, thanks!!
Old 03-29-2003, 09:42 PM   #10
junkyardjohn

YEP ----- NATS @SS ....... IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, FEEL FREE TO P.M. OR EMAIL ME. JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH