The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
bbowser

best way to remove rusted rear coils

I'm tearing apart my 67 shortstep and gotten down to the frame/trailing arms. The spring retainers on the coils are rusted solid, top and bottom. I've soaked them for days now with PB blaster, but no luck. I intend to replace the springs/retainers so i don't care about trashing them, but I do want to re-use the trailing arms. Any ideas on the best way to proceed? Thanks in advance.
bbowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: best way to remove rusted rear coils

I usually cut the spring in two places,... one close to the trailing arm, and one close to the frame. This gets the spring out of the way.

Then I cut the heads off the bolts (if they are extremely rusty) or get in there with an impact and bust everything loose.

I don't have a torch, so I use a die-grinder with a cut-off wheel. (An electric grinder with a cut-off wheel will work also)
Try to use the thinnest wheel you can find.
1/32" or 1/16" works the best.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 08-10-2009 at 08:02 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

x2 that old blue wrench will get anything apart. Did exactly that with my 69 when I replaced the control arms, and springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I usually cut the spring in two places,... one close to the trailing arm, and one close to the frame. This gets the spring out of the way.

Then I cut the heads off the bolts (if they are extremely rusty) or get in there with an impact and bust everything loose.

I don't have a torch, so I use a die-grinder with a cut-off wheel. (An electric grinder with a cut-off wheel will work also)
Try to use the thinnest wheel you can find.
1/32" or 1/16" works the best.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Jblackie47803

I just did the same thing on a '67. I wound up breaking both lower spring bolts. I used an electric grinder with 4 1/2" cut-off wheels and just cut the entire top bolt out of both sides of the frame. Bought a set of C-notch brackets and installed them to make a "new" top bolt location. I assume you're removing your old springs to lower the truck anyway, so this may be a way to go as you may need the clearance as well. I bought a complete kit with the spring retainers/hardware to install the new springs also. Used Jeep wrangler springs to achieve a cheap lowering job.
Jblackie47803 is offline   Reply With Quote