The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
CheyLadd

AC resurrect fitting question

After a ton of research, I have decided to use my aftermarket ARA air conditioner. I like how it is an AC unit only and everything is already in place in the cab. I will be replacing condenser, drier, compressor(sanden), expansion valve and all hoses and fittings. Anything else I should ad?

The only place I am concerned about is where the hoses connect to the evaporator. They are currently compression fittings. The expansion valve was connected directly to the evaporator and then the hose. All done with compression fittings.

Assuming I can find an expansion valve that has one compression fitting to connect to the evaporator and one male o-ring fitting for my new hoses, am I ok to use compression fittings on an R134 system? Can I reuse the #10 fitting on the large side since I can't seem to find a replacement?

This seems to be a spot that might leak and would be hard to detect once it is installed since it is all in the cab under the dash. Compression fittings make me nervous. Thanks for any input.

Not that it matters but the unit had been converted to R134 previously with the old compressor, condenser, etc. by the previous owner. He claimed it worked for years but by the time I got it all freon was gone and I want a trouble free system and thus the redo.

Name:  IMG00026.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  82.7 KB
CheyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote