The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Number21

Adding hood braces/greasing the hinges?

I just bought a '79 truck and it's got a cherry hood. I know how common it is for these things to fold in half and I had it happen to me on my last truck. I would like to prevent that from happening. I remember reading some article on the internet about adding metal braces to the length of the hood so that it wouldn't bend, anybody know what I'm talking about? Is there a common mod to do or do I have to re-invent the wheel?

Also, what is the best way to grease the hood hinges to keep them working their best?
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
TLoz

Re: Adding hood braces/greasing the hinges?

You can get a set of braces from LMC. They really work get. I've had a set on my hood for about 10 years with no problem. Or you can go to the hardware store and get a set of door braces from Stanley. They are about flat plate 3/16 thick and work good also. Just use sealer or wet primer on the screws to keep the holes from rusting. I use LPS3 on the hinges once a year. Good luck, Tom
TLoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
asphaltburner

Yo! Mostly the problem is the lack of hinge maintenance. If lubed properly, these hoods will do OK. They were built to collapse with a head-on collision so that the hood would not decapitate the passengers.
My old hood was bent, and I bought a new one from Classic Industries. The flange at the collapse point on both sides does not have the cutout like the old hoods and makes it stronger, but keeping the hinges moving smoothly is still of prime importance due to the inherent weak point.
With a 3/4 ton I'm not too worried about being decapitated, so I've not braced mine yet, but I will in the future, just to ensure that my hood stays pristine.
Todd.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
Number21

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltburner View Post
They were built to collapse with a head-on collision so that the hood would not decapitate the passengers.
I was starting to think about that last night - looking at the hood it definately looks designed to bend in that spot. Would it be considered dangerous to reinforce the hood in my old one ton? I like my body un-capitated.

Right now I only close the hood by grabbing onto the ugly plastic bug deflector on the front - I figure that should break before the hood bends.

Last edited by Number21; 08-31-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
asphaltburner

Yo! Number21!
I suppose that reinforcing the hood will change what the engineers had origonally intended,...but it'd have to be one hell of a collision for the hood of your truck to be forced backwards intact.
You're not planning one, are you?
If you collided with anything, would it be at a height that it would cause this to occur? I feel that my truck would more than likely RUN OVER anything if I hit it and not effect the hood!! They built these little tiny cars and trucks anymore!
Todd.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Number21

Yeah, you're probably right...most of the cars they make today would just bounce off my front bumper. Crumple zones are for Hondas...
Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
asphaltburner

Yo! I love that! How funny!!
Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down, dude!
Todd.