The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
68C10HotRod

In-Cab Gas Tank for LT1 motor swap

I'm trying to do an LT1/T56 swap & need to do it as cheap as possible. The rear frame mount tank is out of my price range so I want to know if I should use the OEM tank with Venting (ECC) or can I use the 68 (non-ECC) version I currently have? Are there any special provisions besides the 3/8" pickup & the 5/16 return lines?

Trying to get as many items purchased & staged before I rip into this so anyone's help that's done an LT1 swap will help. I know there's a couple people that have but haven't found a good source for all the info so putting it together is going to create some questions.

TIA!!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” - Benjamin Franklin
"And those who know what's best for us, Must rise and save us from ourselves" - RUSH lyric (mockery)
68C10HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: In-Cab Gas Tank for LT1 motor swap

Are you thinking of using a inline pump? High pressure inline pumps are very noisy, Drives me crazy. You can modify a 87-95 fullsize van tank to fit. and use a 94-96 Impala SS pump. make sure to use high pressure fuel line between the pump and sender. the problem with using a stock tank is its not baffled. when the tank is low the pump will suck air when you turn causing the motor to die. ive done several LT1 swaps if you need help with anything let me know. another thing, the shifter on the T56 will end up under the seat!
and theres the issue with the hydraulic clutch.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
68C10HotRod

I've never heard about using a van tank. Can you give me some more info and/or some pics? Does it mount in the back under the box like the others? How do you deal with the filler?

What's the hydraulic clutch issue other than cutting the firewall & mounting parts? What's the best trans crossmember to use for this? I have the OEM manual member & an auto member plus the one from the 96 Camaro the motor & trans came out of. I've also got cutting tools, good air & a welder so I can fab stuff up if needed.

I really appreciate your offer of assistance & will probably be taking you up on it. Thanks.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” - Benjamin Franklin
"And those who know what's best for us, Must rise and save us from ourselves" - RUSH lyric (mockery)
68C10HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
clinebarger

Yes mount it under the box. I lost all my pics when my old computer crashed.
I use a marine style gas cap in the floor of the bed (i dont like drilling holes in the side of the bed) Buy a gas cap you like and have a radiator shop fill in old fill hole on the van tank and weld a neck where you want it to come out of the bed floor.

Last edited by clinebarger; 09-12-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
clinebarger

On the clutch master cylinder the travel and the geometry have to be correct or damage to the master will result.
15/16" to 1" travel at the master cylinder.
Your stock auto crossmember will probably be the best bet. ive never put a
T56 in a 67-72 you might have floor pan clearance issues. how do you plan to run your speedo?