The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

what type tranny fluid??

ok I have been a dextronII guy in chevy's for ever but I have been bored and poking around and found that alot of guys are running type F or trackor fluid??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I run tractor fluid in my trans too. I buy a 20L (5 gal) pail at Walmart for $30 Canadian. It is rated for Allison c-4 specs. It is called Hydraulic tractor fluid. You can also get it from a farm supply store or tractor store.

Benefits? Below are quotes from another board where Lonnie Diers of Extreme Automatics in Ohio and Bruce Toelle of PTS Xtreme transmissions in California speak of tractor fluid benefits:

Quote:
The Mobilube 424 has a Hi shear film strength so it provides better protection and lubrication for your hard parts (bearings bushings planets) Hi film strength helps the clutches to hold heavy loads at hi temps with out breaking the oil film. With out the oil film its is certain death for a clutch pack. Also higher viscosity and a higher flash point. This helps the fluid to stay stable at hi temps and it will also dissapate heat easier. The Hi torque fluids are made to operate in wet clutch transmissions that cost thousands of dollars. Much higher quality standards than what we see in typical automotive transmission fluids. This is not mirical fluid for a trans that does not operate correctly make no mistake about that. its not the only good fluid out there for an auto trans. Bottom line is your transmission will run cooler, clutches will hold hi loads, Bearings and bushings will have the maximum protection and line pressure will be stable at most any temp And this fluid will not burn like Dextron or Type F.

Where do you find 424. Go to the mobil web sight and look for distributors. There are other brands that work just as well as 424 this is the one that I have used. Maybe Bruce can post some of the other brands.

Lonnie Diers

Quote:
We have been here before

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok first of all here are the benefits.:

1) More anti foaming qualities

2) flash point raises to 484 from 375 with straight atf (Even synthetics)

3) better lubricating qualities.

4) Holds viscosity much better under heat loads.

5) will pressurize more consistantly especially under higher pressure.

6) Higher in detergents than ANY ATF

Here are the negatives:
NONE!

As for your whine, That may be possible if trans is cold and you run it straight. We mix it 70/30 to atf. As for running hotter.....NO way! Cooler if anything at all. We noticed IN A LAB, NOT THE KITCHEN... that it actually ran cooler with same load and wear factors applied as atf did in the CONTROLLED TEST! Pressure variance was no more than 10 psi at 200 degrees. ATF was anywhere from 20-50!

Anything that is c-4 allison rated or better you cannot go wrong.
Chris.... get the hell out of the kitchen and go back downstairs and build LOL

But what do I know? LOL
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
turp mcspray

Re: what type tranny fluid??

I always run F. It has a higher friction coefficient, and you will notice a firmer shift.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

mobil one here
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
70 net440

When I worked in a transmission shop years ago, the boss said type F was for cruis-o-matics and fmx's that used cintered metal friction plates. If you service your trans every 12 months or so you shouldn't have any problems.
70 Dart Swinger
71 K10
70 net440 is offline   Reply With Quote