The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Rreemo

Opinions on value....

Some of you guys have probably seen me mention in a couple other threads that I am considering putting my 68' on the market soon. Well, it is going to be at the Good Guys show here in North Texas this coming weekend, and I plan to make it known that it is also going on the market....might just throw a subtle For Sale sign in the floor board.

Anyways, I have what I think is a fair price in mind for it, but I wanted to see what others out here think first.

Some specs on the the truck.....

1968 C10 original SWB Southern Truck (Texas and Oklahoma it's entire life).

- Paint is original shade light blue but of course base/clear now, and very nice quality...very straight. Outer rockers have been replaced, as well as the tailgate, but everything else is pretty much original. Has all new chrome, emblems, bumpers, lights/lenses, etc.
- Bed is original with steel floor and LineX bedliner.
- Black interior with fresh covered/rebuilt buddy-buckets, Cheyenne door panels, black carpet and tank cover, black dash pad, sun visors, new scuff plates, etc. Interior is real nice....I'd give it a 9 on a scale of 1-10 (has Dynamat installed as well).
- All new rubber/weatherstrips, window felts, etc....except for the wing windows, which are still in good shape for original.
- Factory tach/gauge cluster with new bezel
- Tilt Column
- Big Block 454 (.030 over with a mild cam, aluminum intake, headers, Holley carb, HEI, etc). New 4-core HD original style radiator with factory Big block fan shroud.
- 2004R OD Trans with about a 2000 stall (lockup) converter - connected to column shifter
- Factory 12-bolt with 3.73 gears (non-posi), connected via custom Denny's Driveshaft.
- 71-72 style front disk brakes and proportioning valve, later model small diameter brake booster, later model Suburban drum brakes in the rear.
- CPP drop coils and spindles on front, drop coils and adjustable stabilizer bar in the rear.
- Dropped shocks from CPP as well.
- 1-Ton front sway bar.
- Wheels are Torque Thrusts with the gray centers (205 Series) - 18x8 and 20x9.5.
- Tires are BFG G-Force TA's (KDW with the nice looking tread design) - 255/45 and 295/45 (About $3000 in wheels/tires alone)
- Custom 2.5" exhaust through 2-chamber Flowmasters all the way out and dumped towards the ground right in front of the rear bumper.
- Vintage AC Sure-Fit Air Conditioning system ducted through all new factory style vents and operated with the factory heater control....air blows very cold!

What is needs - nothing major (IMO):

- A little more detailing under the hood, biggest thing would be to pull the inner fenders and send them out to be powder coated. The brake booster and mast cylinder are painted in machine gray and stand out too much right now - need to go back with black and cast iron on them.
- Fuel tank filler neck grommet, but I already have a new one. However I also bought a fuel tank kit to relo under the rear of the bed, but there is a little bit of interference with the exhaust that would need to be worked out - kit goes with the truck, though.
- Wing windows could stand to be rebuilt, but they really aren't that bad.
- Has an aftermarket temp gauge under the dash that I was always planning to remove and reconnect the factory temp gauge in the cluster.

All-in-all, it is probably the closest to show quality that you will find in a driver truck. The truck has won a few awards, and one was at a pretty tough show this year (Fort Worth Rod & Custom for those of you from the area). It has good power, the brakes and suspension are tight, and when cruising down the hwy. at 75mph you'll be amazed that you are in a 41 year old truck. I took it on a 200 mile road trip earlier this summer and it did great the whole way running the AC. It isn't the greatest on fuel with the big block, but at least it has the overdrive to offset that some. I think the small factory fuel tank makes it seem worse than it is too. I only tried to calculate the MPG once (when I took it on the 200 mile road trip), and from what I could tell it got about ~12 mpg. Certainly not good enough to drive daily, but the truck is also a little too nice to be a daily anyway....IMO.

Here's a few pics.....

00=ss=00

Last edited by Rreemo; 09-28-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Rreemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Opinions on value....

I don't know what you had in mind, but it's a tough market out there now, and that is a damn nice truck no matter what economic climate. You'll get a wide range of opinions here, but I think 15k(ish) is a reasonable start.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
big mike71

I was offered 14k for mine and I think yours is alot nicer, Mine has a sbc 350 and factory wheels. I would say aleast $18,500.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
mclairmo

It's a $20K + truck but in today's market, you may have to wait for the right buyer if you want anywhere near that. You don't have to drop your price much if you don't want to, but you will have to wait. Also, while I love the color combo many others may not be crazy about it. As we all already know, Red sells best.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
71swb4x4

I read your description and skipped over everyone elses's replies as I didn't want that to sway my thought.
I am thinking $10,000 - $12,000.

I may be a bit low on my price, but I am pretty sure I am not too high.

I am going to read the other replies now to see how I compared to the others.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Rreemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
I read your description and skipped over everyone elses's replies as I didn't want that to sway my thought.
I am thinking $10,000 - $12,000.

I may be a bit low on my price, but I am pretty sure I am not too high.

I am going to read the other replies now to see how I compared to the others.
Are trucks really that cheap in SD?
00=ss=00

Last edited by Rreemo; 09-28-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
70chevytruck

I would say $6000. In fact, I would drive up and take it off your hands tomorrow!!! Seriously, in this market....$10-13K if you can find a buyer. Should be more but I see them in great shape for this all day long. Great color. Great looking truck. If you don't sell it I would love to look at it in a couple of months when I have the finances.

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
Rreemo

Interesting.....some are close, and some are way off from what I'm thinking.
00=ss=00

Last edited by Rreemo; 09-30-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

I would advise you to go ahead and paint the booster and M/C, replace the fuel neck grommet, and paint the inners with rustoleum. And hook up the temp gauge. Then you can advertise the truck as needing nothing.

Or, if you don't want to hassle with doing some/all of that, just don't mention it in your F/S ad. That will really affect the value. Someone willing to pay 20K for a truck isn't going to want to buy one with "issues" no matter how small.

I'd say the truck is well worth what you're asking, but you most likely will need to wait to find the right buyer and you will probably come out way ahead trading with someone with a similarly built blazer looking for a truck.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

Also, take really nice pictures, hide the old seatbelt or replace with a new black one, and get new gas and brake pedal pads with the deluxe trim. A few extra dollars spent would really make that truck a 100% ready to show truck.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
70cst

You have a very nice lookin truck Rreemo. Your starting price is realistic in my opinion. Agreed with some of the comments...the little things (ie: seat belts) can bring you higher dollars. Good Luck

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Rreemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Also, take really nice pictures, hide the old seatbelt or replace with a new black one, and get new gas and brake pedal pads with the deluxe trim. A few extra dollars spent would really make that truck a 100% ready to show truck.
Thanks for the tips! To be honest, thats really my plan if I don't get any serious interest from the show this weekend. I just haven't had time to spend on it in the last few weeks. I'm going to pull that booster and master off and do it all right. I'll go ahead and pull the inner fenders and steering shaft and send them off to the powder coater too. I want to do them right because everything else under the hood is mostly sorted, powder coated, etc. The underside of the hood even has a thin coat of Line-X...it turned out really nice. Funny thing about that seat belt is that it looks nothing like that in-person....for some reason the camera flash really washed it out and made it look brown. Those belts are actually less than a year old and they are a nice set that came from Classic Lift.

These exact ones.....

The gas pedal and brake pedal pad are new as well, but same thing....that flash made them look different in that pic. Even still, I like your idea on the deluxe versions. I also have a few Billet Specialties Accessories to install inside....turn signal lever, rearview mirror, etc....I'll go ahead and do those as well. Once all that stuff is done then it will be 100% sorted.
00=ss=00
Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
VA72C10
VA72C10

Then I'd do the old tricks and hide the belts and wet the pedals so they look darker in the photos. Try to take pictures of the interior with another source of light lighting it up without a flash...that will help as well. The photographs will help sell the truck if done right or will hurt your value if done wrong. Of course, if you could get anything sorted before the show, that's probably one of the best places to sell it because the person gets to see it in person and detailed for the show.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #14
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

if you're in no hurry, and already got an offer of $18k, put a price of $21.5 on it for the show. if it doesn't sell, give ebay a try. You may have to list it a couple times before you do find the right buyer, but I think if you take any less than 18k for it, you're being impatient.

my lwb with a plain 283 sold last week for 10k. that's after listing it 3 times. the build thread is what sold it for the buyer, so he knows exactly what he's getting. Your truck, IMO, being a SWB, BBC, tach, A/C truck should easily bring 18k+ given enough time, and finding the right person with the right check book.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #15
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Do the $21.5 on it.You can always be bargained down but you have a real hard time raising your price.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

That`s a $25,000 truck.So I think you got your mind straight where you have it.Definately price it at $20 or more so you can end up no less than what you were thinking.you may not need to dicker.All it takes is the right person and that thing grabs attention.Very well done job there that the majority can appreciate.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
Hart_Rod

Great looking truck! I would start somewhere north of $20K, and then go from there. If I didn't have so much time and $$$$$ in my Burb, I could almost be tempted..... You'll get the money the truck is worth if you are patient.

R/
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #18
Ackattack

I was going to say $20k. You definatly can't build a truck like that for less.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #19
Rreemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Then I'd do the old tricks and hide the belts and wet the pedals so they look darker in the photos. Try to take pictures of the interior with another source of light lighting it up without a flash...that will help as well. The photographs will help sell the truck if done right or will hurt your value if done wrong. Of course, if you could get anything sorted before the show, that's probably one of the best places to sell it because the person gets to see it in person and detailed for the show.
Indeed sir....you got me to thinking about it, so I came to work this morning and told my boss that I need to take off on Thursday. I can get a lot of the little stuff sorted out, and get it all detailed and ready for the show. I totally agree with you on those pics too....they were taken with my daughters camera at night in the dark garage....so the light was pretty much all flash. I'm thinking the show this weekend should be an excellent time to get some better pics, and this time I'll use a real camera too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvelDesigns View Post
if you're in no hurry, and already got an offer of $18k, put a price of $21.5 on it for the show. if it doesn't sell, give ebay a try. You may have to list it a couple times before you do find the right buyer, but I think if you take any less than 18k for it, you're being impatient.

my lwb with a plain 283 sold last week for 10k. that's after listing it 3 times. the build thread is what sold it for the buyer, so he knows exactly what he's getting. Your truck, IMO, being a SWB, BBC, tach, A/C truck should easily bring 18k+ given enough time, and finding the right person with the right check book.
I appreciate the bid of confidence....and it's good to know that I'm not crazy or being greedy here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Do the $21.5 on it.You can always be bargained down but you have a real hard time raising your price.
I think you may be right....I'm probably getting a little be anxious wanting a Blazer....but in reality, even if I got one right now it would probably just sit all winter anyway....I should focus more on taking my time. Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That`s a $25,000 truck.So I think you got your mind straight where you have it.Definately price it at $20 or more so you can end up no less than what you were thinking.you may not need to dicker.All it takes is the right person and that thing grabs attention.Very well done job there that the majority can appreciate.
Thanks a bunch....again, glad I'm not crazy. I've owned muclecars for years myself, matter of fact this truck currently shares garage space with a 70' Convertible Chevelle....I've found that it's interesting how the following/community is so different on these trucks. Seems there are a lot of guys that don't really recognize the difference between stuff like avg driver quality vs. show type quality....regardless of what went into it, somehow the same result is what is perceived. I think it probably has a lot to do with the fact that many guys out there are still using this generation of trucks as actual drivers....daily, hauling, etc.

An example: over the Labor Day holiday weekend I was bummed b/c my daily truck (06' Cummins) was being held hostage at the dealer for some warranty work...wife and daughter wanted to go to the lake, but I didn't have a truck to pull the boat with. I was talking to my neighbor about it outside, and he got this confused look on his face and said, "you have that other old truck, can't you just pull your boat with that?" Funny thing is that he isn't a total non-car guy either....he would never suggest that I drive my Chevelle to work if it was all I had sitting around on a cold winter day....he respects what it is and understands the value of it....but no clue whatsoever on the truck. Hell, I'm reserved about leaving it in the parking lot at the grocery store for 10 minutes....couldn't imagine leaving it parked at a boat ramp with a trailer on the back....or even taking the chance of hooking a trailer to it, hell it doesn't have a hitch on it. Wet people with dirty lake water getting inside of it would probably cause me to have a seizure right on the spot!
00=ss=00
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Amen to that, the 21.5 may look a tad high but it gives lots of room to wheel and deal. If someone is dead serious about buying the truck he will have the funds available to work a deal anyhow.

I agree 100% with VA72C10 in that those little details need to be taken care of before taking it off to a show and putting the discrete for sale sign on the floorboards. A guy might not expect those things to be right on a 5K truck but when you get above 15 the details should be right on the money and the truck should be show competitive.

I'll say this, it is one good looking truck in my book.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #21
bagged74
its just $$$$$

did you buy that truck from a guy in poteau, OK?
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #22
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I'm just a newb, but I've been looking for one of these for a few months, so I'll offer a different point of view.

It seems to me that the original, restored trucks are bringing the better money.

You didn't show any pics of the chassis. If it's in good shape, show it off, because I look at the engine compartment and chassis for clues on the quality of the work.

If you've got a SPID, show that too. That helps affirm that it was a SWB from the factory. Some will want to know if it was a six or whatever.

I don't like a cut dash or bubba wiring, so show better pictures of what's going on under there.

To get the top dollar, someone if going to have to want your truck exactly as it sits. That means they like the color, wheels, etc.

Your truck will be shopped against what similar money will buy. What you have in it is irrelevent to a buyer.

In todays market, people are looking for deals where people HAVE to raise money. To sell it this weekend, you'd probably have to settle for $15K. To get more, you'll have to be patient.

Good luck, I hope I'm wrong for all our sakes. I'll look for you on Saturday.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #23
Rreemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74 View Post
did you buy that truck from a guy in poteau, OK?
Yes, this is Michael's old truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
In todays market, people are looking for deals where people HAVE to raise money. To sell it this weekend, you'd probably have to settle for $15K. To get more, you'll have to be patient.

Good luck, I hope I'm wrong for all our sakes. I'll look for you on Saturday.
Thanks. As I said before, the good thing is that I'm by no means one of those people that has to sell.....I'm really going into this with a mindset that if it sells for what I'm thinking is fair, then I'll take it and move the funds to a new project. However, if the market turns out to not be so good for it right now I'll just hang on to it and very possibly put more into it to make it more exactly where I want it.

I realize the color is a love it or hate it, but it was actually one of the top 3 I was looking for when I bought the truck (nostalgic reasons, my Grand-Dad had one the exact color when I was kid...that's what started it all for me on these trucks). However, I've always wanted to go back and two-tone the roof white....if I end up keeping the truck that'll likely be one of the first things I do. There's also a real good chance that I will yank the current drivetrain and replace it with a LSx/4L80E combo if I end up keeping it around.

To be honest, I've been kind of waffling the last day or so....probably not going to have a sign in the floor this weekend after-all. Think I'll give myself more time to think about it.
00=ss=00
Old 09-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
72 cheyenne pdx

First off - You have a wonderful looking truck. I would say this truck is in the 15-18k range. If you have documentation that goes with this truck, I can see you getting 17-20k for it. Documenting the history of the truck (through restoration pictures, receipts, original Bill of Sale, protecto plate, build sheet, Etc...) will bring more money.

Good Luck with your sale.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #25
BB72CHEVKT

I think you are way ahead of the crowd with your options. I am using this to make my comparison http://www.tick-performance.com/forsale/c10/

Last edited by BB72CHEVKT; 09-30-2009 at 05:28 PM.
BB72CHEVKT is offline   Reply With Quote