The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
GruntyPants

Arrow Tipping rules for Auto delivery

Hello all,
I'm about to receive my 'new' tow rig from California, and I wondered if there is an expectation of a gratuity for the driver, and if so how much? Would it be based on the total price charged to my by the company? Is it based on mileage? Has the same driver been in possession of my truck the duration of it's cross country journey?

All these questions must be answered for fear of committing some type of over-the-road-faux-pas.

I mean, Even if the truck gets here in good shape, I can't really be sure that I got good service from him, or can I? Will he provide documentation that he fought off evil marauders along the way to keep my vehicle safe? Did he put together a travel plan with a national team of meteorologists and highway-environmentalists to ensure that no acid rain, salt spray, gravel trucks, sea-gulls or hippies would tarnish or offend said vehicle?

So if anyone has had any past experience with auto transport services or is a driver themselves, I would appreciate any feedback.
'70 Short Wide
GruntyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Tipping rules for Auto delivery

Just curious, but why do you feel the need to tip a truck driver?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
GruntyPants

I don't think I should, but I figured I might ask.

I suppose these guys mostly deliver to dealerships and auction houses, so they aren't expecting it.

Thanks for sticking this in General... didn't realize I was still in the truck section when I started.
'70 Short Wide

Last edited by GruntyPants; 11-23-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: More talkin'
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

in all the years ive towed vehicles i never got a tip... however if you wanted to throw the guy a jackson or a grant im sure it would be appreciated...

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

If the truck driver actually seems to care that your truck made it there with out getting destroyed id throw him/her a tip for taking good care of my new ride..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

A tip should be for appreciation of a job well done above and beyond what should be expected from any one. Most people are qenuinely interested in doing a job well and don't receive a tip. A thanks is all that is required.

I think that if you feel that you should do something nice for the person after the truck is delivered in what you feel is a good condition, a letter of appreciation to the company would mean more. Get his name and name of the company or the boss.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
A tip should be for appreciation of a job well done above and beyond what should be expected from any one. Most people are qenuinely interested in doing a job well and don't receive a tip. A thanks is all that is required.

I think that if you feel that you should do something nice for the person after the truck is delivered in what you feel is a good condition, a letter of appreciation to the company would mean more. Get his name and name of the company or the boss.
I agree with this. Everyone hears complaints. Who takes the time to tell someone they are happy with their service? I try to tell managers, owners, and workers themselves when I apreciate their effort. I am also just as willing to tell them when I am not happy! I will tip anyone who goes above and beyond.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

give him a kit kat bar and tell him to take a break he deserves it

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
vectorit
What?

I work in a type of job that requires me to meet all kinds of people, and I am there to improve/fix things for them. Personally I would be uncomfortable taking anything in appreciation of the work I am paid to do for them, but an email/letter explaining how good of a job I did for them to my management is VERY appreciated.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
slomotion
Old Duffer

An awful lot would depend on attitude, and genuine concern for your property. A note to his company, and a twenty for lunch. He won't be expecting either one, but his gratitude may "pay it forward" somewhere down the line.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
old_truck1969

I had my corvette on a flatbed when i moved. i called and said i needed a flatbed asap. it was raining out and the guy was crawling under the car to hook it up. we only had to go maybe 2-3 miles. i paid the bill with my credit card, and gave the guy $10 cash for getting there so quick and being careful with the car.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
EyeH8the24

the letter to the company is a great deal .with my company anyone that gets a letter from a customer gets it sent out company wide and posted in all offices..
Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I tip where appropriate.(not for delivery of a vehicle)I also write a note on the reciept noting great service and will ocassionally hunt down a manager to let them know.I have recommended servers in restuarants be trainers when the service warranted it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I tip where appropriate.(not for delivery of a vehicle)I also write a note on the reciept noting great service and will ocassionally hunt down a manager to let them know.I have recommended servers in restuarants be trainers when the service warranted it.
same here. I really appreciate good customer service and I tip the person or email the manager when I can.

I ALWAYS grease the bartender on the first round. you shouldn't have to ask why!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 11-23-2009 at 05:55 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
ALWAYS grease the bartender on the first round.
my hero.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

thought you'd like that, Shane!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
Shane
Account Suspended

Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #18
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Just curious, but why do you feel the need to tip a truck driver?
Maybe he can not find any cows to tip... or tractors.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #19
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

I know nothing about long-range hauls, but I tip AAA drivers (always specifying flat-beds) a minimum of twenty bucks. I get their names and ask for the same guy on the next call and magically that "be there in approximately 20 minutes" evaporates.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
cdowns

i've had a few cars delivered motorcycles too// if i got the vehicle when stated with good comunication anywhere from $10-$20 so they can get lunch seems fair
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i say you tip the driver just like you would tip anyone else that you usually tip.
Why tip a pizza guy? they don't work for less than minimum wage.
Why tip the valet?
Why tip the old man in the mens room who hands you a towel and a mint after you wash your hands?

All those guys are offering a service with very little care needed.
Someone who has your pride and joy, drove it onto his truck, tied it down secure, then hauled it to your destination (be it 3 miles, or 3000 miles) and then unloaded it all with a profesional attitude and zero damage, delivered where and when you wanted it... I feel he deserves a tip of sorts.
Movers are another bunsh who never get tipped... after hauling your EVERYTHING from your old house to the new house.

I worked for 14 months as a mover and was SHOCKED at the fact that I got tipped maybe 3 times. Got many many letters sent to my boss, and even higher up (to corperate) with praise, but never a tip, and usually not even a can of pop or lunch.
I also delivered pizzas for about 3 years. This was a little over 10 years ago, but at that point, and in the area that I worked (fort hood Tx) less than 50% of the people would tip. They'd scream and complain if it was 30 seconds late, but no one would ever blink an eye when it was at there door 10 min early.

If you don't want to tip, then don't. No one does it anymore and no one expects it anymore.
If you want to be remembered, or feel 'better than the rest' then toss the guy a tip for making sure your pride and joy was delivered to its destination unharmed.
Drivers make way less than you think.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #22
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

I drive tractor-trailer for a living.
In 10 years I have been tipped 3 times, but I remember every one.
One was $10 for having to wait for the crane driver.
One was $20 for no reason at all.
The best was a homemade meal of ham, pinto beans and cornbread just cause tthey wanted to.
I do agree with attitude being the final judge, if the guy is very good at what he does, and he acts like a pro. Then by all means do what you feel.
But if he's a d***head, no thanks are necessary.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #23
GruntyPants

I appreciate all the responses, and I see this in a new light.

I've never worked in the service industry where I was able to be tipped... I was always asked to stay away from the customers... But I can now see that a little cash in hand along with sincere appreciation can go a long way.

This is exactly why I asked the question in the first place, I just didn't know.

Now I feel like a tool because I never tipped the AAA drivers... and I use them a lot, especially with the junk I drive. That will change as well.

Now the waiting is just killing me to get my 'new' truck.
'70 Short Wide
Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #24
fine69

Hey. Great topic. Since this is what i do for a living i will put my 2 cents in.

Monday i picked up this truck...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=373471

Delivered it Monday as well. Each and every time i stop to fuel up (which is every 200 to 250 miles) i check my chains or straps. Make sure everything is ok. I do this with EVERY vehicle i haul.
It is important to me that you get your vehicle to you safe. You spend lots of money on them. And its not always cheap to get them hauled. And on top of that you have to worry that the guy doesn't give a crap about it.
I also take pics when i get it loaded so you know its in the same shape when it gets to you. And that there is no misunderstanding about condition.

Now.... Do i expect a tip??? HECK NO. But i tip my waiter great when i get great service.
I get a tip about 75% of the time. Anywhere from $10 to $50 normally. And i am very thankful. It is very nice to be appreciated.
But it is not necessary. My customer is still important to me even when i don't get a tip.

It really boils down to how you feel about the driver once you meet him/her. And if you feel it is worth it to you. How did the company treat you? Was your driver courteous? If he was running late did they call you to update you? Things like that.

If you feel a tip is worthy give one. If not don't.

Board member #6

Last edited by fine69; 11-25-2009 at 08:01 PM.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #25
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I get a tip about 75% of the time. Anywhere from $10 to $50 normally. And i am very thankful. It is very nice to be appreciated.
Outstanding - does my old heart good to hear that.

My Chevelle's starter went out a couple of years ago when there was a 'Noah' rain storm going on - for about a week - no cell phone at that time - had to use an enclosed pay phone.

The street near where I ended up was flooded from curb to curb and because the nose of the car is down a bit between the suspension, tires and rims - the flat bed was going to be a challenge.

The driver treated the car like his child and spent an hour loading the vehicle, setting in rush-hour traffic and carefully off-loading the 65' with great skill and professionalism.

I always keep a fifty stashed in one of those little magnetic key boxes - just in case - and was glad to slip it to him when I shook his hand.

Mac.