The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
reefer55

Body Flex

After replacing body mounts seems to be a lot of body flex or role in my 71 2 wd. As you drive the gap between the doors and body will get bigger and smaller as the blazer is driven. rocker boxes look to be in great shape. Little to no rust, small amount on the lower drivers door post. I used cheep Taiwan after market mount would neoprene rubber mount help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Rick

Last edited by reefer55; 11-28-2009 at 09:10 PM.
reefer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
72blue

Re: Body Flex

its like an el camino lets say, the tub is long enough to need to flex like that. I have had lots of early broncos, and once I was checking the flex between the door and body with finger while driving; bad idea. Huge blood blister. The broncos would flex so much that if the doors are misaligned that they would hit the tub itself. I would say the blazer is similar. Although I use the poly mounts myself, not by choice, but they are usually easier to come by ie. energy suspension etc. Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
vtblazer

That doesn't sound normal to me, are they torqued down correctly?

Did you do all 5 position's including the rad. core support?

Where did you purchase these mounts from?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
reefer55

Thanks guys, Yes all the mounts were replaced and they came from LMC they weren't very expensive. Over the winter up here I'm going to change them and put the good polyurethane ones on and repair the door jam.
Any help on a supplier for the good rubber mounts?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
vtblazer

Going poly may not neccessarily the answer, with the correct O.E.M. style body mounts, it should be pretty stable on the road.

...course if your trying to corner like a Ferrari, that may not be the case either.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

I can only speak for myself, (mine is 2wd). Before we removed the body, if you jacked it up uneven, you couldnt shut (or somtimes open) the doors. The body is back on the frame now, but the doors are still off until the wiring and underdash stuff is done. We put in a roll cage to lessen the twist. Of course a big motor is also the issue here.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
I can only speak for myself, (mine is 2wd). Before we removed the body, if you jacked it up uneven, you couldnt shut (or somtimes open) the doors. The body is back on the frame now, but the doors are still off until the wiring and underdash stuff is done. We put in a roll cage to lessen the twist. Of course a big motor is also the issue here.

Thing is these frames were 'designed' to flex from the beginning, just trying to say poly mounts might not cure it...dunno.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Thing is these frames were 'designed' to flex from the beginning, just trying to say poly mounts might not cure it...dunno.
You bring up a question I have had for years AND it happens to pertain to this post. When these blazers were brand new from the factory, did they flex so much that the doors wouldn't open? Seams like even when someone restores one it it's still an issue at least to a degree. I have a hard time believing it was that way from day one, but maybe so. Can any of you guys that had one new back in the day shed some light on how they were 30 years ago?

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #9
cleszkie

That's probably one of the reasons that the K5 Blazer went from full convertible to a steel cab spanning the door openings after 1975 (along with the safety from roll-over issue, and top leak issues).
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
reefer55

Thanks again for the replies. My nefew has a 72 2wd and his body seems to be much more stable than mine and his is all original nothing has been changed yet. I think once I get it up in the air I will loosen the top ensure the doors are aligned and re-tighten the top and than change the mounts. So can some one direct me to poly mounts?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer55 View Post
Thanks again for the replies. My nefew has a 72 2wd and his body seems to be much more stable than mine and his is all original nothing has been changed yet. I think once I get it up in the air I will loosen the top ensure the doors are aligned and re-tighten the top and than change the mounts. So can some one direct me to poly mounts?
Mine is (was) a 2wd 72 with original body mounts and a pretty rust free tub. It flexed alot as I posted... so there you go. Maybe an original owner will chime in.
Im guessing VTBlazer is right on this one... we will see I guess.

Last edited by Tom Vogel; 12-01-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...s=20&t_pt=5582

Here is where I got mine.
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote