The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
AirSpeed

Rebuilt Gauge cluster, gas gauge issue

I just rebuilt the dash in my 72 4X4 and when I reinstalled it the gas gauge wont register accurately, I filled the tank today and the gauge only went up to 1/3rd tank. It worked perfect before I rebuilt the cluster. I know I didnt damage anything in the gauge when I cleaned it all up. I did repaint the needle but was very careful when I did it. I did move the needle to mask the gauge face while I painted the needle, I was very careful. Does the needle need to be set in a special position or something when assembled? I have done this to two of my other trucks without any problems. When I reinstalled the gauges the needle was in this position, the next time I drove it it went down to almost empty which was the correct reading, when I filled it up it went to just over 1/3rd tank. I hope this isn't too much info! Here are a couple pics, I repainted the face, polished the lens, painted the needles with fluorescent paint, repainted the lettering (Lights/ windshield wiper) replaced all the bulbs and cleaned the faces of each gauge
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Aaron

AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: Rebuilt Gauge cluster, gas gauge issue

Did you take the needles off to paint them
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote