The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
gcsupraman

Steering pulls while driving

I tried to do a search to find the answer before posting...

I bought a 1972 K20 a few months ago - my first vintage truck.

The steering is almost unbearable. It feels like I am driving a dump truck and I am constantly steering the truck when driving - and often it pulls pretty hard if the road is not perfectly flat. I replaced the drag link, and tightened the steering box. I also checked the tire pressures and had an alignment. The guy doing the alignment said there was still some play in the steering box. He check all other joints and bearings and said everything was tight.

He suggested a steering stablizer to solve the "pulling" issue. I was thinking of getting the box rebuilt to solve the play.

Anybody had any similar issues? or solutions/suggestions

Would a smaller steering wheel help? How does a smaller steering wheel feel compared to the original?

Thanks!

-Greg
gcsupraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Re: Steering pulls while driving

Have you checked for a sticking brake caliper? Jack the wheels off the ground, press the brakes then release and try to spin the tires see if you have any drag.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

First of all, a smaller steering wheel will only make it worse. I very recently replaced my steering box (Manual) with a new rebuilt one from NAPA. The old one wandered and was sloppy. I couldn't believe the improvement in the steering that new box made. I will admit that I had the upper and lower ball joints, tie rods ends, idler arm and pitman arm replaced at the same time but it sure was worth every penny to get the steering I have now.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

If your truck seems to wander all over the road and you have trouble keeping it in a straight line, your caster may be off. I'm not sure how this is adjustable in our trucks but I had a similar issue with my trailblazer.

Couple of weeks ago my wife had a fender bender and they had to replace some parts and do a front end alignment. The guy at the chevy dealer said he had to adjust the caster. I did some reading on it and found out that was the reason I had to constanly steer the vehicle.

You might want to get a second opinion and have another shop look at it.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

what wheels and tires?

wide and flat or skinny and hard?
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Sammy

I would look at replacement of the gear box. Just recently I had ine gear box lockup on me doing less than 5 MPH. With little to no warning. If I had been doing a considerable normal speed it wouldn't have been pretty. New rebuilt gear boxes are available. Folks assume these boxes are good after 30 or 40 years. Mine had very, very little play and about 800 miles since I installed it in a used unknown condition. I would be getting this condition corrected before you risk your family's life. it isn't worth the risk with steering or brakes on something of this age.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
gcsupraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewatts View Post
First of all, a smaller steering wheel will only make it worse. I very recently replaced my steering box (Manual) with a new rebuilt one from NAPA. The old one wandered and was sloppy. I couldn't believe the improvement in the steering that new box made. I will admit that I had the upper and lower ball joints, tie rods ends, idler arm and pitman arm replaced at the same time but it sure was worth every penny to get the steering I have now.
Thank you all for the great feeback. Since the play seems to be in the steering box, I am assuming at this point the problem can be solved by upgrading or rebuilding the box. I just wanted to make sure that:
1. The issue is not normal to these 67-72 4x4 trucks (never had one before and I wasn't sure if that is just how they drive, or there is a real issue)
2. The larger OEM steering wheel wasn't exaggerating the issue

Does anybody have any experience before/after with a steering stabilizer?

I think checking the brakes and getting a second opinion are also great ideas. I will get them check on Wednesday. BTW, I am running 245/75/16 sized tires.

Thank you all

-Greg

Last edited by gcsupraman; 12-14-2009 at 07:40 PM.
gcsupraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
hayhauler71

Try crossing the front tires to see if it pulls the other way. This would be called a radial pull.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote