The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
roughedup72

how do I convert??

HA! NOT WHAT YOU GUYS ARE THINKING.
I have the steering column and steering wheel from my 93 burb thats being parted out and was wanting to install it into my 72. I dont plan on using the wiper switch but who knows, I may end up changing my mind by the time I get it installed. I will be using the ignition and steering wheel from the 93. So the question is has anybody done this on the site and how and whats needed to compete the installation. Please help.
I will also be removing the power steering box and replacing it with one from a 91 2500 burb provided the yard still has it.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
roughedup72

Re: how do I convert??

Has this not been done yet?? Got to be somebody out there who has done this.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i've only seen people use the 80's style.
Why exactly do you want to use that column? Is it just becouse you have it, or is it the features?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
capev86

my 72 burb came with the late 70's/early 80's style black chevy wheel on the stock (3OT) column. my dad went the same route on his 72 burb 25 years ago....but i was saved the trouble by the previous owner. i like the stock wheel, but the later wheel gives a bit more belly room. i don't see the need to use a modern column and i really like having the ignition on the dash. the beauty of these trucks is they have sooo many classic features (ignition on dash, floor dimmer switch, styling, etc) yet with a few modern bolt on pieces they can be every bit as capable as a modern rig out of detroit. with new burbs costings well over 40 grand, paying 7500 for my classic burb seems like a steal.

Last edited by capev86; 12-20-2009 at 11:38 AM.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
roughedup72

I would like to have a tilt and considering how much one is for our classic trucks and the fact that I have one thats not going to be used and possibly sent to the scrapper, I thought I would go ahead and try to use it instead of spending 200-300 for a factory tilt. I dont particulary care about all the switches on the column itself or cruise seeing as how I dont have it anyway, but being able to tilt the wheel is a nice feature. Also the thought of making it just a little harder for the theives to steal is also an added benefit. Although it's not much its still a little bit of a time delay for them. Of course I'm not real worried about somebody stealing my truck especially the way it looks right now. Hopefully one day it will be worth looking at.