The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: How did you find your truck?
I found my truck in a Newspaper or Truck Magazine ad. 68 23.37%
It was given to me (free). (By my family or a friend) 48 16.49%
I found my truck sitting along the road, in a field, or in a barn. 76 26.12%
I found my truck through a friend. 68 23.37%
I bought my truck off ebay. 45 15.46%
I bought my truck new and it has never left my sight. 1 0.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #51
6971shortys

Re: Poll time...where did you find your truck?

Thought I always wanted a '73-87 era SB 4x4 till I started working with this guy that had a white '71 SB 4x4. I bugged him for 5 yrs about that truck, and finally in 2000 bought a new found on road dead and said he was ready to sell it. Tried bartering him down, when he wouldn't budge I finally said whatta want for it, just sell me the dang truck! He ended up giving me back a hundo and said fix the brakes. Pretty cool dude.
6971shortys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #52
short-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
DUDE! YOU ARE MY HERO !! How far is it from the sign in Vegas to your home?
From Vegas to Calgary is 1308 miles. We bought the truck in Hemet, CA so we actually travelled 1573 miles to get home. 383 with a 700r4 and ac that works, It was a excellent trip!

The 50th anniversary truck had to go 1316 miles to get home. 396 with th400 and 410's = bad gas mileage! But she ran and drove beautiful.
short-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #53
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

my first one is my avatar. I tried for 20 years to buy it from the original owner. he was my neighbor when I was a wee lad. he said I would have first shot st it if he ever sells it. over the years I moved a few times and ended up 600 miles away. I always remembered the truck and hoped he still had it. in Oct. of 2001 i moved back here and the next weekend I drove an hour to see friends in my hometown. my best friend talked about this old truck he wanted fro parts but the guy wouldn't sell it. later that afternoon I went to see old Svere Rognstadt. I saw the truck sitting in his side yard and asked him if he wanted to sell it. his words were "are you ready for it now? I don't want you to cut it up or destroy it. $500 and it's yours."
fast forward 8 years and the truck has gained some different colors (hush up Leon) a new ultra reliable drivetrain, and a totally new updated chassis. my oldest boy has his eye on it but he needs to prove himself first.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #54
BluTrukker
BOHICA

I was fishing on Otter Tail lake in northern MN, and one fishing lure was exceptionally productive, the only problem was we only had one of them. So we took a lunch break and drove over to Fergus Falls to buy a couple of lures. I saw the 68 sitting for sale on the side of the road. I cranked my head around as we drove by and the wife says OK we can look. I called the guy and worked out a price and drove it 6 hrs home the next day. It was sitting only a few miles from the dealer that it was originally purchased from.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #55
Shyguy

My first 67-72 was a '72 3/4 ton fleet I bought from a used car lot in California in '75 when we lived there. The only thing I did to it durning the 17 years I drove it was normal maintenance and replace the clutch twice. In 1992 I gave it to my brother-in-law after I bought a new GMC duallie. I still regret it because he said he needed a vehicle, but as it turned out he turned around and sold it, Darn!!!!!

The '71 lwb stepper I now have I bought from a repair shop for what was owed on repairs, my son told me about it. It cost me $600, we put fresh gasoline in it, jump started it and I drove it home. That was a couple of years ago.

The '67 started out as a C-20 lwb stepper. My grandson had it and a swb frame, probably a '69. He wanted to get rid of it since he did not have the time to work on them so I took the stuff off his hands not thinking of doing anything with it. Then one hot summer day my son and I were setting under a shade tree drinking some Dew and shooting the breeze. We decided we did not have any other projects to work on at the time so we decided to take all the parts we had and make a '67 swb stepper. It took almost a month in the evenings to get it all together and running, now it is waiting restoration. I gave my grandson what he had into the stuff, $400.

I have since bought a nice period correct bed for the '67 that we will put on in the spring.

Danny
Attached Images

'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #56
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

#1 69' swb fleet wood bed 250/3ott. Driving home from the grocery store and saw it driving the other way . Followed the guy home and ask if he would sell . $1400 and it was mine . Traded later for 79' Trans am .

#2 68' swb fleet . Bought it here off a younger member right down the road . He was a young father and it was to much project for him . He dilivered it to the house for $870 . Got it together and the wife loved driving it . Bought the 68' Camaro without permission and got in trouble . She said " one has got to go " . Sold it .

#3 67' swb stepside . Wife had remorse for making me sell the 68' and one day said I should get another one . Bought it from Spraybombs dad Lee . Restored it and enjoyed it . Had emergency back surgury and had to do what was right for the family .

#4 67' swb step on 72' chassis under constuction .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583

Last edited by hotrod 80; 12-23-2009 at 03:03 PM.
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #57
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

I was fortunate to locate my truck by the following:

- A friend of a friend located it on craigslist
- That friend called our mutual friend
- The mutual friend called me
- And I called the owner
- And the rest is history....

My old '72 I located in a local Wheels n Deals print, called the owner and bought the truck that weekend.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #58
Ozark Tim

So many trucks and so many stories but the Cheyenne Super on my avatar is a recent story.
The original owner drove past my office in it and an employee knowing how much I love 72 Chevy/GMC trucks ran out the door and whistled the old guy down.
After meeting and talking for an hour or more invited him over to see my collection which he did a few months later.
I wound up hiring Dennis who was a retired painter to do a few rental property re paints for me and stayed in touch always asking if he was ready to sell his truck.
He called me last fall and said that he had kept it in the garage at his X wifes house since they had divorced in the late 70's and she let him keep it there until she fell ill with cancer and his grown children were going to have to sell the house meaning he would lose his storage for the truck.
I bought it in February this year from him and I think I had first met him 5 years earlier.
He told me how when he bought it new he was going to buy a leftover new ochre 71 but the 72's had come out and the salesman at Koenig Chevrolet (now Butler Chevrolet) said a truck load of new 72's had arrived and took him in the back lot to see them. When he saw this hugger orange and white one he really liked it and the salesman offered it to him for $50.00 more than the 71 so he bought it.
Thanks Dennis!
Ozark Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #59
70cst

These are all great stories...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #60
Ackattack

I found my 68 on craigslist.....brought it home on a tow dolly.

My 69 I found on craigslist....turned out to be from a neighbor 2 houses down from where I used to live.

My 72 that I sold, I found in a newspaper when I was in HS. Went to look at it on a Sunday and wanted it, but no money with me. So I was wondering how we were going to get it on Monday after school when my Dad suggested skipping school to get it. That was a great day!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #61
Dano69c10

You see old McDonald had a farm E-I-E-I-O
and on this farm he had a '69 LWB C10 E-I-E-I-O
With some dollars here and some dollars there, here some dollars there some dollars everywhere dollars ($600) I drove here home.

My 70 bought off eBay.

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #62
1971 GMC SHORTY

My Uncle Bought it Brand New, His Son got it an Thashed It. l Have Been Bugging Him For 20 plus years, My Uncle Called Me One Day out of no Were, Come Get It your Cuz Has Been Trying To Fix It for 3 Years. My Uncle Was Fed Up with his Son... And Now I am trying to get His 32000 Mile 68 long bed Before the kid gets it.....
1971 GMC SHORTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #63
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

both of mine were found on this real cool site, you may have heard of it...
www.67-72chevytrucks.com
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #64
spatz

I was in between jobs, and was working for a guy at his salvage yard. A guy called in and asked how much Id give him for the truck, because he was tired of working on it. I told him to bring it by and I would give him a price. A 69 lwb fleetside

I was talking to the guy when the boss walked up to see what was going on, and I told him the story,and the boss said he didnt have any money on him at this time.
I told the guy Id give him $50.00 for it and he signed the title off right there on the hood.
A couple of days later I drove it home and covered it. That was in 1999, and two years ago built a 30 x 40 garage and now its sitting there stripped waiting for me to turn the heater on and work on it after the holiday's.

Last edited by spatz; 12-24-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: left info out
spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #65
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I bought this one off eBay back in August:

Then about a week later, I found this one that I liked better, also on eBay:

Both are Cheyenne Supers with air, but the second one is a big block, one owner with Protecto-plate.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #66
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Found mine at a swap meet in Moultrie Georgia at the ripe age of 16. Talked to the guy and ended up buying it a month later. I'm 18 now and a few thousand dollars into the build. Here is when I got it and how it sits now.

Then:

Now:
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #67
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

In 1984 I had just sold my 1982 Toyota Celica Liftback and I was looking for some kind of pickup. The only thing I knew was that I wanted a Stepside, a V8, stickshift and hopefully a Chevy. I was driving down the street in Napa Ca. and I spotted this poor, old wore out truck parked in the middle of a grassy lot with a for sale sign on it. I said Wow! That's exactly what I'm looking for. I called the number and the lady said they want $1,350. for it. When I paid her and everything was finished she said as I was walking out the door "I think that truck is ugly." From that day forward I call my truck the "Oogly Truck".
Attached Images

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #68
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

My 70 came from a close friend. It was his father's truck (my friend was in his 70's when I bought it in 02). I am trying not to shame either in what I do to it. A running stepside when I bought it, now a stationary fleetside, least for only a little while longer, I hope.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-24-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #69
Dr. Evil

In a raw coffee warehouse
Attached Images

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #70
PJsthnam

Deleted. Accidently posted twice.

Last edited by PJsthnam; 12-24-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Accidently posted twice
PJsthnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #71
PJsthnam

Kept checing Craigslist. Then one day while on Craigslist I saw this...

Called the # expecting to here a mans voice, but it was an older woman. She told me the truck had been her dad's who passed away 7 years ago. So it was given to her son who had the motor and tranny re-built and then went into the Navy and stationed in Japan. So she took it and gave it a new hood, seat, heater core, and paint job. (She also had all of the receipts). She wasn't using it, except to go to the store to run it every once in a while. So she decided to sell it. $3500 later, it was mine. That was about 2 months ago.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #72
flashed

I dont have a cool story like the others but here goes. I had been looking for a 67-72 shortbed fleetside for a while with no luck. I told a friend of mine one state above me to let me know if he spots one as I had given up and he says I have a friend that has one for 30 years but he didnt know if he would sell it. He e-mails the next day saying the friend was willing to talk to me but didnt think he would sell it. I talked with him a while and he told me to come look at it but he still wasnt sure if he would sell it when I got there. I took cash with me and we made a deal and it came home the next day on a rollback. I probably paid more than I should have but a shortbed is hard to come by here. A friend on Team Chevelle told me about this site and I am hooked.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #73
'72customdeluxe

the classifieds of this site..
Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #74
07SSSC

You don't have bought from family listed. Grandpa bought it in the late 90's and fixed it up I bought it from the estate sale (step-Grandma...) and continue to fix it up.
07SSSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #75
72CST4x4
It's only a minor addiction

Just got this one recently. My Dad heard about it from a friend that knew a guy that knew a guy that was thinking about selling his truck. By the time the story got to us, the truck for sale was supposedly a GMC longbox 3/4 ton. Well, the GMC part was correct anyway. Turned out to be a 1969 GMC swb, original 396 truck, original paint. Just adds to my theory that if I hear of a truck for sale, I'll always atleast go take a look. Never know what you will find!
Attached Images

70 K-10 4 spd
1970 GMC 2500 with 24K actual miles
Current project- 69 GMC swb
72CST4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote