The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Savage

glove compartment locks

my truck doesn't have a locking glove compartment like some that I have seen do. if you're not familiar with them, the latch looks exactly the same but it has a small insert slit for the key. is there a way to get one of these and also use my regular key? i don't see them on LMC truck unless i'm missing it. my next idea would be to salvage one from a junk yard, but if i did that, how would i make it match my key (were they all the same?)
Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Zoerb

Re: glove compartment locks

LMC Carries the lock, but not the guts (you would have to reuse the tumbler and such if you had it)

Classic industries carries it -Here's the link
They run 14.95, I believe you could take it down to a locksmith with your door key in hand and they could re key the glove box lock to your door key.

Wife's whip- 2020 Equinox Premier
Zoerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
SmittySmith
'82 GMC Sierra Classic

Does anyone have the instructions on how to remove the glove box latch from the glove box door. This is for the 1982 model without a key lock, just a regular glove box. And photos with the steps??
I searched but did not find it.... Thanks ;^)
SmittySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

they cost 15 bucks from the dealer too... you still need to get em keyed. this way you can save 10 bucks shipping.
rock auto had some black ones with key for liek 5 bucks.. but they are not OE looking. check it out.
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
cor86

I bought a complete matching set, including door locks, ignition, and glove box, for $50 from Cheyenne Pick-up Parts. A locksmith could also code one from a yard to match your existing key, but that may end up costing as much as the complete set, plus I like just having one key, instead of two (round-door only, and ignition).

No instructions, just take the whole glovebox door off (screws along bottom hinge) and look at it. There is a release pin, or something, that allows the knob to come out. Then just pop the new one in. Ignition and door locks are pretty easy too, but you will need to take the door panels and steering wheel off.
cor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
slugish
Slugish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittySmith View Post
Does anyone have the instructions on how to remove the glove box latch from the glove box door. This is for the 1982 model without a key lock, just a regular glove box. And photos with the steps??
I searched but did not find it.... Thanks ;^)
Good question . tried to remove mine when Iwas repainting it & eneded up breaking it off . Are they even removable?. Ihad to glue the outer chrome pc. back on.
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

I made a how to on this site,

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=15274.0

clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
nbpro
Account Suspended

Replacing the latches on your glove box will require a nut driver and a Phillips head screwdriver. The GMC glove box is held on by a minimal number of screws and uses rubber bushings to prevent the box from opening all the way out and dumping your belongings onto the floorboard. Replacing the latch consists of taking the box apart to its outer shell to access the hardware holding the latch in.
.Removing the Glove Box
Open the glove box to give you a view of the task at hand. Firmly grasp the right end of the glove box and pull it to the left and down. This will unlock the glove box from the inside of the dash. When you lower the glove box this will give you access to the nuts holding the bottom end. Unscrew the two nuts on either side of the box with a nut driver.
This will free the whole glove box from the dash.
Removing the Glove Box Latch
Place the glove box on a table and locate the two screws on the outside of the box.

Unscrew them with a Phillips head screwdriver. Carefully separate the glove box liner from the outer shell. The latch will be exposed. Locate the two screws holding the latch to the glove box shell. Unscrew the latch with a Phillips head screwdriver. The latch will separate from the shell.
Removing the Dash Latch
Removing the connector requires a Phillips head screwdriver. This is the piece that the latch connects to when you close the glove box. Unscrew the two screws with a Phillips head screwdriver. When the screws are out the latch will free up from the dash and you can remove it with your fingers.

Last edited by nbpro; 09-24-2010 at 12:40 AM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote