The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
54Caddy
GM Addicted

Ignition Switch Tumbler

mine just went out on me i need to know how to change it out, autozone sells the tumber and key for 13 but i have no clue how to do it, mine doesnt have the button on the bottom to release it i have to use the lock plate tool im guessing, really have no clue how to do this, it is a tilt collum. any one know how to do this??

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Ignition Switch Tumbler

54. Not at all difficult, just a PITA. First remove the steering wheel with a puller. Next, remove the lock plate with the proper tool. Next remove the signal light switch. You won't have to pull the switch all the way out. There is enough wire on it to pull it up and over the steering shaft. Next look for a screw that looks like it goes into the ign lock cylinder. The screw may be a torx head or phillips. Remove the screw and leave the lock in the locked position. Pull it straight out. now remove the key from the new cylinder and slide it in keeping the cylinder lined up with the locked position. The cylinder will stop once bottomed out. Now put the screw back in, test it. and reassemble all the rest of the stuff you took out. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
ToughBowtieTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
54. Not at all difficult, just a PITA. First remove the steering wheel with a puller. Next, remove the lock plate with the proper tool. Next remove the signal light switch. You won't have to pull the switch all the way out. There is enough wire on it to pull it up and over the steering shaft. Next look for a screw that looks like it goes into the ign lock cylinder. The screw may be a torx head or phillips. Remove the screw and leave the lock in the locked position. Pull it straight out. now remove the key from the new cylinder and slide it in keeping the cylinder lined up with the locked position. The cylinder will stop once bottomed out. Now put the screw back in, test it. and reassemble all the rest of the stuff you took out. jim
You CANNOT leave the tumbler cylinder in the Lock position to remove it. The key must be in the cylinder and in the "RUN" position to be able to pull the cylinder out. It is a theft deterrent.

All of the 73-78ish columns I have faced have the spring button holding the cylinder in. However, I do know '82 and up columns use a screw that holds the cylinder in.

"Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernible talent." Duff World Records Division

"Yeah, they're called Congress!!" -Homer Simpson

Last edited by ToughBowtieTruck; 01-12-2010 at 08:45 AM.
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Josh, you are right. I assumed his was a later year. I didn't look at his signature area, my mistake. In addition, when they cast the shift bowl, they leave a thin aluminum plug over the access to the plunger and this plug has to be broken away before you can reach the plunger. Sorry for the wrong info. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Also if you dont have the tool to compress the lock under the steering wheel its easy to make one out of a piece of metal and you lock it in place with the steering wheel nut and use a couple of bolts and nuts to compress the plate in there....you qill also need a drill to make holes in the piece of metal youre using as a tool that you have.. thats how i got one off once

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 01-12-2010 at 10:59 AM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
54Caddy
GM Addicted

oh **** so i have to break away a little plug then on mine, it doesnt have the screw then?? i am getting ready to go to the truck now and see if i cant do it myself if not im going to call out a locksmith or something..

Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
TheSunDanceKid

you need a steering wheel puller and also the spring compressor BOTH can be rented for 40bucks at autozone and when your done and take them back they give your 40bucks back
put the key in the ignition
1.remove horn button pops off
2.remove 3 philips head screws
3.remove 21mm nut im not 100% on the size
4.use the steering wheel remover and put screw the 2bolts into the steering wheel turn the middle 3rd bolt till the steering wheel pops off
5.push the locking plate down with the compresion tool and theres a small ring you pull off then the plate will release
6.remove the 2 then metal strips on the right hand side attatched to the white plastic piece(blinker switch"
7. remove the blinker handle and pull the white plastic piece out might be 2 screws cant remember
8. remove a small bolt or philips head screw on the right hand side about a half inch down the tumbler
9. move the key around till you can pull it out

sounds lot alot of stuff but once youve done it if you ever need to do it again it sould take lik 15minutes
TheSunDanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
54Caddy
GM Addicted

alrite i got it done mine didnt have a screw had to tap on the little slot and pulled it out, but that wasnt the problem so i just did it for fun basically hahaha, i think the ignition switch itself or the rod is messed up for now i wired a toggle switch up 2 the starter to bump it over works fine.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
TheSunDanceKid

thats what i have kind works as a theft thing also but anywho if your ignition switch is bolted to the top of the colum you should be able to loosen the bolts and slide it back and forth till its adjusted properly
TheSunDanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
54Caddy
GM Addicted

i will try that sometime maybe this weekend

Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
54Caddy
GM Addicted

well the truck left me stranded again last night. no power would come on at all but with the toggle it still cranked over so i drop the collum and took off the ignition switch then i went to just to tug on the rod and the whole thing came out it was disconected and bent to hell. now i have to figure out where i can get one at and how to replace it.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
mexgrhd68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Caddy View Post
well the truck left me stranded again last night. no power would come on at all but with the toggle it still cranked over so i drop the collum and took off the ignition switch then i went to just to tug on the rod and the whole thing came out it was disconected and bent to hell. now i have to figure out where i can get one at and how to replace it.
grampa has 1 dude!!!! its good AND has key in ignition!!

Last edited by mexgrhd68; 01-15-2010 at 01:35 AM.
mexgrhd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:52 AM   #13
54Caddy
GM Addicted

yea but i want to fix this one its ghetto driving like this ****, hahaha.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
asphaltburner

Yo! Here's how it goes together,...disassembly is easy to figure out with these pics.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...00#post3225400
And here's a link to a thread of mine with the location of the hole that needs to be broken or drilled in the thin metal of the steering column base with pics.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...switch+removal
Post #6 and #8, etc,...
Todd.