The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Gearbox slop... help!

Ok, so every bolt I loosen leads me to 5 more things to fix, every rust hole to 5 more... but I'm loving every one. (maybe not love, but enjoying

So I'm pulling the column to pull the brake and what's left of the clutch lever (replacing the whole thing with an intact one) and I notice that the slop I suspected was maybe the rag joint and some loose tie rod ends is actually ALL in the gearbox!

Manual steering, and I know there's a screw on top, but I've never done it. How much slop can it take out, how do you know when it's just shot to hell and time to be retired?

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Beuford

Re: Gearbox slop... help!

You can take alot of slop out. But I'd advise being careful because if you tighten it too much it won't return to center after going around a corner. Just move it enough to take most of the play out then sneak up on the adjustment a little at a time until your satisfied. If it hits bottom and it is still sloppy or doesn't re center after turning you need a new gearbox. I'd check around for one anyway if it is that loose.
Beuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
cdowns

make sure that the slop isnt due to worn balljoints tyrod ends pitman and idlerarm prior to doing anything to the box//that adjustment done improperly can lead to box failure which aint good at speed
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
make sure that the slop isnt due to worn balljoints tyrod ends pitman and idlerarm prior to doing anything to the box//that adjustment done improperly can lead to box failure which aint good at speed
Yeah, there may be a bit of that, BUT, truck on the ground, with manual steering, I can rotate the shaft a good distance without the pitman arm more than twitching... Front end was my first suspect, but the vast majority of the slop is in the box itself.

Trip
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

There's instructions in one of the manuals (Service Manual, I think) that tells you how to adjust it.

My experience - you can adjust a little out, but not a lot...
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Kayotic

This may also be a good time to check the frame where the box bolts up to. Frames have been known to develop cracks in that area.

And, as Shaky mentioned above, you may be able to tighten it up some but not a whole lot.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
68 C-10 Panel

I had the same problem with mine. I replaced all the front end stuff first, the stud fell out of the tie-rod body once it was out of the truck. That was a close one! But anyway I did the adjustment according to the information that I found here, and it made a huge difference. I did exactly what they said not to....... too tight, it was really hard to steer. Once I went from loose and nudged it up to tight as I test drove it, all was well. By the way spray some penetrating oil on the stud and nut a few days in advance and save some busted knuckles.

"When a man is old enough to figure out his dad was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong" Charles Wadsworth
68 C-10 Panel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Thanks All!

I had it up today and was surprised as hell... leaking rear wheel cyls, some slop in the rear end (plan to replace in the near future), but not too bad on the drums and shoes. So then I pulled off the front wheels expecting trashed rotors and near metal on metal, but the rotors and pads look almost brand new! Front end is SOLID.

Well, other than the gearbox that is.

I'll try the adjustment, it'll either work or it won't, might be the nudge I need to put in PS...

Trip