The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
p_rubottom

Trans fluid in my coolant

I finally found my transmission leak and its the in the radiator... My question is how do i get all the atf out of the engine now without having flushing it multiple times? I've heard of using powder laundry detergent???

Thanks for the help!
p_rubottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Tony@AirRideTech

Re: Trans fluid in my coolant

Sounds like the core blew out in your radiator.... you will need to pull the pan on the tranny too and change the fluid and the filter.
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
p_rubottom

Thanks Tony, I do have a new radiator that I'm installing tonight. Im just wondering the best way to get the trans fluid out of the cooling passages in the block and water pump? I dont want to install the new radiator and fill it with left over tranny fluid/antifreeze thats still in the block.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
nico

Install the new radiator and attach the lower hose, put a garden hose in the cap opening and leave the top hose loose... Fill the radiator full of water and start the engine, when the thermostat opens (if you didn't remove it earlier) it will pump all the water, fluids and trash out of the engine. I'd just let it run and flush everything out for several minutes.

I would think the heat from the engine will loosen the trans fluid enough for some regular radiator flush to scrub it clean.

I followed the same basic procedure when we switched my 1997 from Dexcool to regular green antifreeze.
nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
spinem
haha, ford guys...

do a full flush multiple times, getting it hot by running it, and repeating over and over. only way. NO LAUNDRY DETERGENT. laundry detergent creates heat, and sticks to ****. dont put that in ur engine.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
p_rubottom

Thanks guys. I will be doing the multiple flush way just to make sure its all out.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
1971gmcshortbed

I would be more worried about the coolant/water in the trans than the trans fluid in the coolant.
1971gmcshortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971gmcshortbed View Post
I would be more worried about the coolant/water in the trans than the trans fluid in the coolant.
giving that the trans SHOULD be covered in ATF (atf and water not bonding) the trace amounts of water will wanna be out of the tranny asap (as soon as the drain plug is pulled) on the rare case that the water finds a hiding spot while not running, yes, it should be flushed at least twice.. so good point.

Now atf in water is another story. the atf will want to find a piece of iorn and hide, and wait for any more atf to cling and eventually get all its little buddys to jam around water jackets and cause gunk and bad stuff....(atf being polarized and more boyant) ((oil sits ON TOP of water))
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
1971gmcshortbed

Who knows how much water got in the tranny. I have seen new Caddys dump a gallon into them. And there isn't a drain plug on those, gotta pull the pan.
1971gmcshortbed is offline   Reply With Quote