The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
310lissik_70'C10

1970 c10 project

so i bought a 1970 c10 longbed and i dont really know were to start on this project (would b my first project) and it need some work, its a manual 4speed, 350motor, nd the suspension sucks on it iw ould like 2 make it all pretty much stock, i am on a budget but in time it will b done, i will b useing it for my daily driver.the truck doesnt have power stearing, and has drum brakes, gagues dont realy work, had has rust damage, in the bed of the truck its kinda tweaked, i would like 2 prob put in a wood bed, would b nice. can any1 set me off in a good direction? of used parts? or somehing like that?
-lissik
310lissik_70'C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
quentin hill

Re: 1970 c10 project

Not sure if I can help or not but I just started a project of my own. The first thing I did was dig out the drip rail sealant removed all the rust and replaced it. Then took the frontend off to see how bad the rust was and what parts needed to be replaced. I was very fortunate to find a good truck cheap that did not require a lot of repairs or replacement parts. I then removed all the interior door panels, window, vent window and stripped out all the old seals window felt. I just try to tackle one thing at a time so I can remember how it went back together.
quentin hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Kayotic

To build off of what Quentin Hill says,

The first project could/should be -- Pictures and documenting what you have and what you see. Don't be ashamed to keep a note book ... lol.

Just in case this turns out to be a long term project, it's nice to have some materials to look back on
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Don't get carried away with the "Since I have it apart,I might as well......." thing.It will become a full resto and I have yet to see anyone finish that on a "first project".
The above advice is good.I will add that you should adress the safety/reliability issues first and drive the truck some so that you can get a better idea of what you want to do with it.I personally prefer to build it as I drive it.It's not much fun to have one all apart and get burned out on the restoration.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
310lissik_70'C10

ok this is great advice, quentin, i think that will b my #2 thing to do, but i do know that when i take something apart i do my best 2 remember how and were it goes, lol (i tryed w. my old integra) but lol yea the only pic i have the for truck is the frontend, its been a lil rainy out here so i cant really take pics. yea.. HA, i alrdy got some parts magasines and and it has taken me a long ass time to go through the book; lmc trucks, and classic industries 1947-2008(this dam book is 800 pages and i orded the 67-73 year, and thats wat i get, lol) i want to try to compair the prices first, but i do know that i want 2 fix my major rust spots, is the lower left corner of the cab(rusted out), and i have a huge hole on the left side of the bed and the old gas tank was there, i gess and there is just a hole on the bed, and o wait there is the actul bed of the truck were the previous owner left a motor oil can w.out a lid in the bed and it spilled open, and i cleaned it up but the bed is all bent out of shape. i looked in 2 makeing my own wood bed, thank god for wood shop,(lol 3yrs of it).
uhhh for truck i think i will work on getttin front disk brakes and power steering, but i have a problem, i was drivin it yesterday and i noticed that when i was shifting into 4th gear, it would NoT go into gear, i heard a grind, and i went back into 3rd gear so i didnt want 2 damage the problem evenmore, any1 have any sugestions? even when im downshifting from 3rd to 2nd it grinds, even when im goin like 10-20mph, o and my gagues dont work any1 know on a quick fix for that? o and i havent got pulled over for it yet thank god, but my exhaust is white, and when i put the pedal 2 the metal it kinda gargles.
does any1 know the stock height of the front and rear end of the truck? or should i get airbags?
310lissik_70'C10 is offline   Reply With Quote