The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
7d2k5

Question troubleshooting

72 k5 medium bronze orig. 350 , turns over but does not fire getting gas to carb but when i manually operate throttle linkage no fuel squirts into carb? , next dumped fuel into carb & still no fire? even with starting fluid no fire?
7d2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
vtblazer

Re: troubleshooting

Got spark?

Has it run in the past?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Longblock

Double check spark....manual pump I'm guessing?...... make sure fuel filter is installed right.....check the flow arrow....
Longblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Monte Carlo Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7d2k5 View Post
72 k5 medium bronze orig. 350 , turns over but does not fire getting gas to carb but when i manually operate throttle linkage no fuel squirts into carb? , next dumped fuel into carb & still no fire? even with starting fluid no fire?

Something here does not sound right.

If you knew it had no spark, why would you dump fuel down the carb?

I think we need a lot more information, like which type of ignition system it has and who did the wiring?

Points ignition, I would look at the points, ballast resistor - or resistor wire coming from the starter to the coil. Then I would test the ignition coil and then move on to the wire going from the coil to the distributor.

The very first thing I would do is look at the condition of the cap and rotor, points etc.

Then there is the spark plugs themselves - like how often have you changed them and how old are they and which type of plug do you have in it.

You are there and I am here and trying to diagnose a ignition problem over the internet is like calling a doctor on the phone and saying - doc I am sick, what is wrong with me.

The first thing he has to do is ask a lot of questions and the second thing is to have you come in for a office visit.

Since it is over your head already, my guess is that your next telephone call should be to a qualified mechanic for a check up and tune up and repairs.

The thing that irks me the most is people like on the commercials on television where they pet the dash board and pray for one more time. Then when it finally refuses to start anymore, they act all stupid and act like they never had a problem in the first place. Then you end up playing Colombo for a couple of hours until you figure it out.
Monte Carlo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo Man View Post
Something here does not sound right.

If you knew it had no spark, why would you dump fuel down the carb?

I think we need a lot more information, like which type of ignition system it has and who did the wiring?

Points ignition, I would look at the points, ballast resistor - or resistor wire coming from the starter to the coil. Then I would test the ignition coil and then move on to the wire going from the coil to the distributor.

The very first thing I would do is look at the condition of the cap and rotor, points etc.

Then there is the spark plugs themselves - like how often have you changed them and how old are they and which type of plug do you have in it.

You are there and I am here and trying to diagnose a ignition problem over the internet is like calling a doctor on the phone and saying - doc I am sick, what is wrong with me.

The first thing he has to do is ask a lot of questions and the second thing is to have you come in for a office visit.

Since it is over your head already, my guess is that your next telephone call should be to a qualified mechanic for a check up and tune up and repairs.

The thing that irks me the most is people like on the commercials on television where they pet the dash board and pray for one more time. Then when it finally refuses to start anymore, they act all stupid and act like they never had a problem in the first place. Then you end up playing Colombo for a couple of hours until you figure it out.
Who the hell do you think you are? Jesus Christ man if you're going to be an a**hole about giving advice I'm willing to bet NOBODY here wants you to post anything. It's a community for HELPING one another not putting them down.

Does anyone know if it's possible to put a user on an ignore list?

....On to some actual help....

7d2k5 - you know it has to be spark or timing assuming the gas you are using is fresh. You have the firing order right? Any recent mods/repairs/upgrades?

Good luck.

Last edited by SeventyOne; 03-08-2010 at 12:47 AM.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 AM   #6
addicted2dunes
Insane In The Membrane

I'd also like to know when the last time this engine was fired. Just remember it takes three things to fire an engine, fuel, compression, and spark. So we know it's not fuel.

Also, what kind of ignition system do you have? Points or HEI? If points check cap, rotor, points, condenser, ballist, coil, and wiring to make sure you are getting voltage to your ignition and from your starter.

If HEI check cap, rotor, coil, ignition module (common outage), and wiring again to make sure you're getting your 12 volts to the coil.

Last edited by addicted2dunes; 03-08-2010 at 02:34 AM.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

trolling and pissing matches are against the site rules. Monte Carlo Man I have had 3 post edit or infractions on your account by staff in less than 24 hours. We will pretend you had a bad day and hope it does not happen again. Trolling will lead to permanent account suspension

71 please use the report a post feature and don't allow others to suck you into pissing matches
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
7d2k5

looked @ wiring diagram, yellow from starter meets yellow from coil & connects to white or purple @ firewall only possible wire is reddish but looks to be right length to connect, there is a larger diameter pink wire that has been cut off in the area? someone said if key was on and you manually open points there should be spark? also previous owner loosened distributor- if i crank engine so mark on harmonic balancer is lined up with"0" should rotor be pointing to #1?
7d2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
blazintowers

if timing mark is lined up on balancer it will point to #1 or it could be 180 degrees off Pointing in the opposite direction of #1. You have to be at TDC on your compression stroke on #1 cylinder. One of the easiest ways to find out if you have spark is remove #1 spark plug, put it into the #1 plug wire and ground the plug to the motor when cranking the engine. you should see a spark at the gap on your plug. You could also try the old HOT WIRE trick and connect a HOT WIRE from the + on the bat to the + on the coil. make sure you disconnect it when through trouble shooting.
blazintowers is offline   Reply With Quote