The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
sshockr

Gas Pedal Sticks?

I'm having issues with my gas pedal sticking.

I know the sticking is caused by the LT1 return spring not having enough strength to overcome the 1963 pedal hinge.

I've noticed the 64-66's in LMC catalog have a round stud on the floor. Does this mean the whole assembly passing through the fire wall is different too? Would this pedal have less resistance?

Or do I need to buy a normal hinge from Ace Hardware and cut up my 63 pedal to work?

I figured out how to get the cable hooked up the original lever and it has just enough travel to go from closed throttle to full open.

-Brian
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Gas Pedal Sticks?

I think all the assemblys are the same 60-66... but the pedals are different, the later ones snap on to a ball stud while the older ones bolt to the floor.
2 things you might be able to do:
can you hook a spring somewhere on the lever (engine compartment firewall side) to get it to return back to zero?
or, I don't think that the pedal itself is sprung... I think it is just the molded rubber that creates the pressure, I got one apart the other day, and the rubber was dried out and cracked where the hinge was, the pedal just flopped around freely... maybe you could just razor cut the rubber at the hinge to relieve the pressure?
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
sshockr

Good call on the extra spring. To make it a pull style I'll have to go from my cable bracket on the back of the head to the lever but it should work. It'll make the pedal a little stiffer but it should return to zero. Maybe a stiff pedal will help me keep my foot out of it... naw.

Thanks for the help,
-Brian
Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
jbgroby

Toyota?
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote