The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Who Sells The BEST quality Chrome Bumpers?

I have seen some repro bumpers that the chrome was really thin on (Brothers showroom last week). Where can I get a thicker/ better chrome job. LMC sells 2 types of bumpers, is the premium one really any better?

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (Finished with MAJOR Surgery - IT'S ALIVE!!!)

The Bride is currently under the knife!
drewskiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Who Sells The BEST quality Chrome Bumpers?

Chrome is only a few thousands thick as it is. If you want nicer chromed bumpers they should be the Triple Plated Chromed bumpers or sometimes call triple chrome. The chrome is still only a few thousands but they copper plate, then nickle plate then chrome.
The cheaper bumpers are Nickle Chrome which is just nickle plated then chromed and then there is Copy Chrome that is modified nickle plating to look like chrome and is one layer.

So to answer your question Key Parts has very nice chrome bumpers. So anyone that sells Key Parts can get you their bumpers.

Last edited by dwcsr; 06-19-2010 at 04:57 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Kayotic

I would think LMC Premium would be better.

However, nothing would be better then getting your original bumpers repaired and refinished.

There is a place in TN. that has been featured on TV. many times...
Old 06-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
pmpski_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayotic View Post
I was just at their website a few weeks back. I don't remember the name but the website said that they were almost ready to be back in business since they got hit hard by the flood there.

Looked like a good outfit to me. I think it was mentioned in a thread about "black chrome".
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
pritch

These guys are local to my area. I had them do some copper plating on some nuts and they came out fantastic. But they re-do your stuff, they don't really have an invintory of stuff to sell. When I was there, I was surprised at all the letters and endorsments from customers all over the country that they had tacked up to the wall. They seem to have a pretty good reputation with the show-quality crowd.

http://ogdenchrome.com/
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
Musclerodz

just had Ogden replate some pot metal headlight buckets for a firebird. For what they had to work with I was very happy
Old 06-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
okyankee

as seen on tv. haha

http://www.chromemasters.com/
okyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
mbgmike

Quote:
I would think LMC Premium would be better.

However, nothing would be better then getting your original bumpers repaired and refinished.

The LMC premium bumper at $189 is the same bumper we sell for $120.00.

They just call it a premium.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Kayotic

Fair enough Mike.

You are right. The original post was about LMC.

If restoring an original is out of the question,
..: Support Our Venders :..

Last edited by Kayotic; 06-20-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Kayotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
gmcdude

I have bought the LMC premium bumber 5 year warrenty, a spot of chrome came off of it. Called them, I sent them a picture a new one was sent to me very soon. The bad thing, I have the same problem agian. I hope the next one is better.
gmcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Advanced Plating is the nashville TN place

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 06-20-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
mbgmike

Quote:
Fair enough Mike.

You are right. The original post was about LMC.

If restoring an original is out of the question,
..: Support Our Venders :..
The premium bumper they sell is better quality then the standard bumper. Not as shiny and is good for someone that just wants a chrome bumper instead of painted. The bumper is the same its just not plated the same. We have some customers that used them and they say they are ok with them. They weren't building a show truck and its better than no bumper. Like stated re-chrome the originals if you can find a shop that stays consistent in their quality. Our experience is that they vary a lot and you have to find out who is hot at the time. At least here in Houston anyway.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
MikeB

Kenny's Trucks in Oklahoma http://www.kennystrucks.com/ sells very nice bumpers. Bought my rear bumper from him nearly 10 years ago and it still looks new, even with the truck spending 95% of the time outdoors.

Also got some door latches from him -- real GM, which is all he would sell. He said he has "been here done that" with less expensive parts, and carrying them isn't worth the headaches.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Kenny's Trucks in Oklahoma http://www.kennystrucks.com/ sells very nice bumpers. Bought my rear bumper from him nearly 10 years ago and it still looks new, even with the truck spending 95% of the time outdoors.

Also got some door latches from him -- real GM, which is all he would sell. He said he has "been here done that" with less expensive parts, and carrying them isn't worth the headaches.
Kennys is a good place to buy parts. I usually stop in every time I pass through. They also sell the exact same bumpers we sell. quite a few vendors do.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpski_1 View Post
I was just at their website a few weeks back. I don't remember the name but the website said that they were almost ready to be back in business since they got hit hard by the flood there.

Looked like a good outfit to me. I think it was mentioned in a thread about "black chrome".
Here's their website..........
http://www.advancedplating.com/

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280

Last edited by 68jewel; 06-20-2010 at 05:08 PM.
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Thanks for all the replies, I still can't decide if I need to spend the money on having mine straightened and rechromed or buy new repop bumpers. Can some folks chime in that they are satisfied or not with the aftermarket ones?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #17
ag1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskiren View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I still can't decide if I need to spend the money on having mine straightened and rechromed or buy new repop bumpers. Can some folks chime in that they are satisfied or not with the aftermarket ones?

In my opinion you should just buy new bumpers. You'll end up havin more money in having your old ones rechromed than buying new ones. My dad had two bumpers rechromed for his 67 dodge coronet and it costed around $700 3-4 years ago and they didnt need any straightening.
ag1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #18
VA72C10
VA72C10

I'm personally satisfied with the triple nickle plated bumpers (LMC premium ones Mike and other vendors sell)

I realize a better chrome job can be had, but most likely for 800-1000 on top of an original bumper worth 100 or more itself. So 900-1100 for something marginally better than a 120 bumper isn't worth it to me. Unless you have unlimited resources and HAVE to have the BEST of the best.

That being said, I am going to check with a local fabricator about chroming a bumper I will modify myself since there is no other option at that point. If I find a good referral on them and can see their work (and afford it) I'll post their info....
Old 06-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #19
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I'm personally satisfied with the triple nickle plated bumpers (LMC premium ones Mike and other vendors sell)

I realize a better chrome job can be had, but most likely for 800-1000 on top of an original bumper worth 100 or more itself. So 900-1100 for something marginally better than a 120 bumper isn't worth it to me. Unless you have unlimited resources and HAVE to have the BEST of the best.

That being said, I am going to check with a local fabricator about chroming a bumper I will modify myself since there is no other option at that point. If I find a good referral on them and can see their work (and afford it) I'll post their info....
The difference is not marginal, it is huge, and very obvious in quality. If you got an everyday driver, nothing special, repops are fine. Building an expensive show truck, spend the money. Odgen does nice work at a reasonable price and are not nearly as expensive as Advanced or Paul's. Odgen is closer to $300-$400 a bumber depending on the size. I am sure they can do high end, just all in what you want to spend

Last edited by Musclerodz; 06-22-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Musclerodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #20
Spoof

I can't comment on the longevity of the repops but I am 100% satisfied with the quality of my repop GMC front and rear bumpers. They are indistiguishable from the originals from what I can tell. In fact they are probably the only repop part I have ever been impressed with.
It seems to me the only reason to go for rechroming an original is if you got yourself a trailer queen. Why spend a grand on a "bumper", the most continuosly trashed part on the truck. When it gets dented or corroded strip it off and get a new one,they cost less than a weeks worth of gas

BTW i sure like the garage doors in your avatar, did you build them yourself?

Last edited by Spoof; 06-22-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Spoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #21
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskiren View Post
Show truck or not...I would spring for the original quality of having them straightened and rechromed. But, that's me though.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
I can't comment on the longevity of the repops but I am 100% satisfied with the quality of my repop GMC front and rear bumpers. They are indistiguishable from the originals from what I can tell. In fact they are probably the only repop part I have ever been impressed with.
It seems to me the only reason to go for rechroming an original is if you got yourself a trailer queen. Why spend a grand on a "bumper", the most continuosly trashed part on the truck. When it gets dented or corroded strip it off and get a new one,they cost less than a weeks worth of gas
I am happy with the one I bought at Brothers 4 years ago.

I agree with you 100%...if you own a trophy truck, get the originals re-chromed and fixed. If you drive your truck like most folks do, get a re-pop.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
The difference is not marginal, it is huge, and very obvious in quality. If you got an everyday driver, nothing special, repops are fine. Building an expensive show truck, spend the money. Odgen does nice work at a reasonable price and are not nearly as expensive as Advanced or Paul's. Odgen is closer to $300-$400 a bumber depending on the size. I am sure they can do high end, just all in what you want to spend
I'd agree with you if it is 3-400 for a show quality chromed bumper....I was basing my comments from Advanced plating's quote of 900-1100/bumper which I found exorbitant for a bumper....will have to check into Odgen when I get ready to customize my bumpers and have them chromed.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Which brand of bumpers do you sell Mike?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoof View Post

BTW i sure like the garage doors in your avatar, did you build them yourself?
Yes we build doors like these on all our custom houses. Thanks. Drewrenshaw.com