The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
nrider

Advice Needed

Let me first give ya'll the run down of the project that I've got going. It's a 1981 Chevrolet C10, 2wd, 305 V8 that I inherited from my grandfather. My great grandfather owned the truck before that and our family is the only one to own the truck. A few years ago I got a new 1998 Z71 and dumped every bit of money I had into that truck . My brother started driving the 81 and about 3 months later blew the motor up. I moved away, got married, blah blah blah and the truck sat in my parents yard for about 3 years. I've now got it back at my house and have started working on it, I've already got a motor in the works and am now doing body work and fixing the rust that I've found.

This brings me to the advice that I need... I want to buy a welder so that I can really get my hands dirty on this rebuild. I originally just wanted to get it driving again and then while getting everything cleaned I started finding rust and I've now decided to just do a frame off on the truck. Since I'm going this far I figured I might as get a welder and learn how to weld so that I can fix the rust and do other body work myself. What type of welder should I get, keep in mind I am on a limited budget and this welder will only be used for this truck and maybe the 98 when I'm done. I've never welded before and I'm seeing alot of different information out there.

Secondly, I'm looking into getting new interior panels and replacement metal panels to fix the rust and any other dirty parts on the truck. I've always gotten catalogs from LMC truck but have seen alot of negative things about LMC on these forums and need to know some opinions of LMC. I've used them for a few things in the past but not much. I've also seen Classic Parts of America in one of the forums; is LMC really that bad, and is CPA any better? If you guys know of any other dealers I need to look into please let me know. I'll be purchasing quite alot of panels and weatherstripping, emblems etc. Basically everything you would need for a frame off. Thanks for reading and I'll be starting a project build forum this weekend to show my progress thus far.
nrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

Re: Advice Needed

you will be fine with a lincoln, miller, hobart Mig welder in a 135 or 140 model with gas, which is good for replacing panels etc. I bought the northern tools 135 model, and was told it was made by hobart, but i am not sure. I have not had any issues with it. we have several board vendors who can help you out with parts as well. good luck

P.S. watch your local Craigslist for used mig welders, you can find good deals on them sometimes

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470

Last edited by my67chevytruck; 06-16-2010 at 02:42 PM.
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Miller is a 150 and Hobart is a 210 model. We actually have two of the Hobarts, they are the machines we use for welding on frames and such, the Miller is what we use for small stuff and sheet metal welding. These are 210 machines, not really for home use unless you can wire up a 210 outlet in the garage/shop.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I have a Hobart Handler 187. I am very pleased with it. I got it from Tractor Supply.

A friend and I have been ordering lately from cyberweld.com, and have been happy with them. The prices are good and the shipping seems pretty fast. No problems so far.

You can go with a 110 volt welder, as suggested by Heath, but you will be limited to sheetmetal and other light duty stuff. A 220 volt model lets you work with heavier stuff. Like he said, get the gas bottle. The flux core wire leaves a lot to be desired. It has its uses (welding in the wind, welding at the top of your welder's capacity...), but it is not a good choice for sheetmetal.

You say you'll just use it on the truck, but you'll find more uses for it once you have it. Trust me on that one.

Slonaker
Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
71swb4x4

Hobart, Miller and Lincoln are all great. IIRC Hobart is made by Miller, so it shares many components. I have a Hobart Handler 140 or 150 and I like it a lot. Definitely get the gas bottle for it. A smaller welder like mine is good for sheetmetal, but not heavier stuff. I would get a larger one if I was doing it over so I could weld plate.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Hobart, Miller and Lincoln are all great. IIRC Hobart is made by Miller, so it shares many components. I have a Hobart Handler 140 or 150 and I like it a lot. Definitely get the gas bottle for it. A smaller welder like mine is good for sheetmetal, but not heavier stuff. I would get a larger one if I was doing it over so I could weld plate.
Yep. I did do it over, and paid the price for buying twice. That is why I suggest to people that they should buy a 220 volt welder if they can.

Slonaker

EDIT: Yes, the Hobart is made by Miller. Some of the parts on mine say Miller right on them. Oh, and as a bonus, my HH 187 is made in USA.

Last edited by Slonaker; 06-16-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

I've got a Lincoln 135 or 140 120 volt with the gas option. I've used it both ways and actually like the flux core because it resists drafty conditions. MAX thickness to weld is 1\4" total ( 2 pieces 1\8" thick) This is usually OK as I don't get into thicker stuff. I did build a framework on my trailer for ladders ect out of 2" square tube with 1\4" walls, so, in this case, knowing the problem is getting the steel hot enough for a good weld, I warmed the joints up with the acetelene torch first then welded them up. Got good penetration and a solid joint. Trust me when I say you'll find all sorts of things to weld up once you get used to the machine. I got a spot welder for rocker panels ect thinking I would find other work for it after my truck was done, BIG mistake. Trucks been done for 2 years and that welder hasen't moved since! $700 with 2 sets of tongs. Buy a good MIG and you'll be a happy camper. PS, get some leather chaps and apron. I have 3 or 4 pairs of jeans that now look like swiss cheese LOLL
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
nrider

Thanks for all of the advice. I had my concerns about getting a gas welder, but from what I understand and seemed to read in the replies is that the gas is an option and I should see how I like to do it best. If I get the welder that will allow me to choose of course. I'll keep looking and see what I can findl. Anybody have any opinions about LMC?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

LMC I'll only use for the hard to get stuff. I like using classicparts better when possible. Both places have a lot of NOS stuff though, and with those items it's just whoever is cheaper.

And back on the welders, guess I could have added that to me, using a 75/25 Argon bottle is not an option but rather a requirement. If you're really welding, use gas.

Last edited by RandyP; 06-17-2010 at 09:06 AM.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

i have dealed with LMC about 13 Times now in the last year i live out side US.
i have allways gotten my parts 2 days after i orded them allways had great service.
there are some of there products that are junk really like some of there interior and exterior trim but its not made by LMC most other companys thats sells stuff for our trucks sells the same stuff. i would use LMC in the Future

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.

Last edited by GmtGmt; 06-17-2010 at 12:14 PM.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
silvereagle07

I just scored a Lincoln 125 plus welder from craigslist a few months ago for $150 barely used. I just got finished welding the stake holes and drip rails on my truck and couldn't be happier with this little welder. Now it's on to the cab corners, rocker panels, cab seam, and various other spots. I think I'm addicted to welding on my truck. I've always had good luck with LMC and Brothers trucks. You could contact some of the site vendors for parts as well. Good luck with your search and I almost forgot. Welcome to the board!

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Jeramy: Here is a tip you will need welding on flat or semi flat panels. First, on a test piece get the amperage as low as you can and still weld. Next, tack the repair panel in lightly in a few spots and make sure it's positioned corectly, then get a wet rag and weld an inch and skip an inch and use the wet rag to quench between cycles. Let the panels cool down and go back and weld the inches you skipped quenching between cycles. This will help in keeping the panels from warping. Your still going to have warp issues but they will or should be rather mild. Another thing to be aware of is the floor pans are galvanized. You have to grind the zink off before welding. The fumes from zink are DEADLY!! Wear a good respirator mask whenever you deal with the floors and related metal even after you grind it. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
MotorHead Lon

As far as welders, I bought a Miller 175, 220 volt. I got the 220 because I do a lot of heavy welding. It will weld thick material but has a short duty cycle. If I were to do it over, I would get a 110 volt machine for sheetmetal, less power to blow through thin metal.

When doing sheetmetal use .024 wire, and go slowly, let the welds cool, skip around.

LMC Truck.

I bought some door mirrors for an older S-10 from LMC. I was not impressed by them. The mirrors were completly plastic, the factory mirrors had a metal base, and plastic body. Not only that but they did not fit the truck, once bolted on the base had a gap around it.

I also got a hydraulic hose for the clutch in my Silverado, it was better quality, and I havent had any problems from it. LMC has good customer service and the stuff I ordered showed up on time.

98 Crew Cab Dually, tow rig.

03 Dodge Neon. ECTA Ohio Mile record holder.
MotorHead Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
nrider

Well all of this advice has been great. I think with the welder I've decided to go with a Lincoln 125, seems like its going to be the best route for me plus I was able to find one that comes with a helmet and other things I'll need to get started. And as far as LMC goes I guess its the same as with everything out there today sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. I'll continue to use them unless I just have a terrible experience. Thanks to everyone
Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
nrider

Thanks again everyone for the advice, this weekend I went out and got the Lincoln Electric 125. I got a little bit of metal stock and started that afternoon practicing. Seems easy enough so far, now just to get my bead straight and I'll be ready to work on my truck.