The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Guy58

Smile Wooden Bed Help

Hello everyone,

I just purchased 'Sikkens Cetol Marine Gloss' to refinish my stepside with. I am in the process of sanding the boards. They appear to be oak but are very light in color after sanding. I would like to use an oak stain to bring out the beauty of the grain a little more.

I have spoken with a woodworking shop in town and they said if you use a oil based stain like Minwax that 'Sikkens Cetol Marine Gloss' has to be oil based too.

Does anyone have any experiance using 'Sikkens Cetol Marine Gloss' over a wood stain?

Does anyone know if it is an oil based product? I have read the can twice and it simply does not say one way are the other.

Thanks for your help,
Guy
Guy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
bruceman1968

Re: Wooden Bed Help

hey guy, Check the clean-up instructions on the can. If it says clean up with water it's waterbase. If it says cleanup with spirits or thinner then it's oil base.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Richard H.
Spanked once

Sorry but IMHO that is BS. The wood already has natural oils in it. I like to use linseed oil with mineral spirits mix to soak into any wood that will be exposed to the elements...but you have to give it time to cure and dry. Stain will be fine..it is only pigment suspended in spirits.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Guy58

Smile Re: Wooden Bed Help

Thanks for getting back to me.

This is what the can says for Clean up, "Clean brushes with Interfux Special Thinner 216".

The brush cleaner that came with the Sikkens Cetol Marine Gloss is 'SCL Sterling'.

The brush cleaner can says, " Removes wet & dry paints, shellac, varnishes, and lacquers, and uncured polyester resin".

What do you think?
Guy
Old 07-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
bruceman1968

Yes I think it's oil based.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy58 View Post
Hello everyone,

I just purchased 'Sikkens Cetol Marine Gloss' to refinish my stepside with. I am in the process of sanding the boards. They appear to be oak but are very light in color after sanding. I would like to use an oak stain to bring out the beauty of the grain a little more.

Does anyone know if it is an oil based product? I have read the can twice and it simply does not say one way are the other.

Thanks for your help,
Guy
Cetol is oil based and will go over an oil stain or a gel stain very nicely. It will, however darken natural wood about two shades so turn one of your boards upside down, mask off a test stripe on the bottom side and apply the Cetol to see what you get before you stain it. I used it on my bed with great resuls!
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
cdowns

i'd look for a customer serevice number to call or go to the ddealer to make absolutly sure you do it correctly so you get the best results on your finished product
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Guy58

FITZ,

Your bed looks awesume! I have three questions for you.

1) How certain are you that 'Sikkens Cetol Marine Gloss' is an oil based product?

2) How did you bolt on the new stainless angle pieces? I am installing a stainless kit just like it on my 67. I already have removed the original angle pieces.

3) Will the bed need added support given the original angles were welded on by eight inchs at the front of the bed?

Thanks to everyone for your help,
Guy