The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
84chevysilverado

Stereo HELP!!!

I have a 1984 chevy silverado and I'm having radio/stereo issues. Everytime I drive the truck the radio shuts itself off or when I brake. I thought it was a loose wire or a loose connection. Everything is hooked up correctly however when I checked where the stereo was connected to the fuse box the previous owner had it hooked up to the hazard/stop lights. I am assuming this isn't a constant connection and moved it to the 'RDO' one and it still does the same thing!! HELP!!
84chevysilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
DetroitIron

Re: Stereo HELP!!!

I feel your pain and wish I could help....my 85 K20 does the same thing...hopefully someone will be able to help..good luck

1985 Chevy Scottsdale K20 350 with 700R4 running 3.42 gearing aka "The Honey Badger"
1993 Silverado C3500 Ext. Cab Dually 6.5 turbo diesel
DetroitIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Stitch
Account Suspended

the power wire or accessory wire on the back of the radio may be hooked into the wire that comes off the cruise switch on the brake pedal...the wire from the cruise switch on the brake pedal has power until you hit the brakes and then it looses power...see where the radio's yellow and red wire are hooked up to the truck...that's probably where your problem is...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Acrophobia

The RED wire needs to be hooked to a constant power source, the YELLOW wire needs to be hooked up to a source that is only hot when the ignition is turned on. Wired backwards from this will leave constant power to your radio and it will remain on and drain your battery even with the truck off. Hope this helps.
Acrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

PM AceX hes our resident stereo guru

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

I had this intermittent cut out problem when I had a stereo shop install a new Alpine. I had them route the wires (constant power and ignition controlled power) directly to the fuse block. I think they had to tap one wire due to lack of open fused slots and add a line fuse. A car stereo shop can do this quickly and cheaply, if you get the average guy, not the top of the line shop.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
PM AceX hes our resident stereo guru
No need, I saw the bat signal and came as fast as I could...

If you're comforatble with it, I would start over ont he wiring harness and just tap into the original radio harness.

Red will be contant, yellow the acc./ign. and black is of course ground. Chasing down the gremlin could take a very long time, so starting from scratch is sometimes less costly in the long run.

I just took this same course of action with givengold's '64 El Camino when I did the install. Trust me, it saved alot of time by just starting over...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.

Last edited by AceX; 09-08-2010 at 06:19 AM.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
84chevysilverado

Thanks all for the help!! I'm looking for a free day to get out there and tinker with this! I'll let you all know the outcome!
Posted via Mobile Device
84chevysilverado is offline   Reply With Quote