The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
ajlezama

Vinyl wrapped dash pads

A while back i was introduced to this website through someone that found my posting on craigslist, they posted my dash pads on here without my knowledge, i got a couple of calls from several different members and sold a couple of them, they told me that i should sell my dash pads on this website, i posted a thread on here and i was unaware that i had to purchase any kind of space to sell, i figured it was just like craigslist, that was a mistake on my part. Now im thinking about paying a lil more so i can sell them on here, and not violate any rules, now i have yet to see how many members are interested on what i have to offer. Here are some pics of my work..
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
PRattenbury

Re: Vinyl wrapped dash pads

I'd certainly be interested assuming the price was within reason. My dash is awful. Does it make sense to send you a core back if somebody buys one off you? Surely the boneyards will run out a some point...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
ajlezama

i will work something out with everyone that sends me their dash..some may have some sort of attachment to their dash pads..
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
spudz

I like your dashes, your parts and your work.. They are nice and top notch. I just didnt like YOU very much, I feel like you were rude at first and just trying to push your stuff. BUT I can look past all this because I see you are posting and SOMEWHAT trying to be a part of this forum. SO if you keep this up and be friendly I feel like you can make some money here. There is alot of traffic and with the nice work you have I feel like you can make some money. THAT being said, I was out of line by talking crap about the price of your used dashes. Thats my bad and I'm sorry.. BUT if your going to make money, you need to be nice. People are more willing to spend money if your nice rather then being rude. I myself would rather spend more money with someone who treated me well then less money for someone who was rude.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
ajlezama

yeah i apologize for that, its cause i felt like i was being pushed around cause i was new, and some of yall do this for a living and i guess didnt like that i was trying to get my work seen on here.. but like you said the past is the past, i still have some of yall that dont want me on here but i gonna look past that. I guess people are right about Marines, we are poopie heads..

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 09-10-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Unacceptable language.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
spudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlezama View Post
yeah i apologize for that, its cause i felt like i was being pushed around cause i was new, and some of yall do this for a living and i guess didnt like that i was trying to get my work seen on here.. but like you said the past is the past, i still have some of yall that dont want me on here but i gonna look past that. I guess people are right about Marines, we are poopie heads..
Good enough for me.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
Old 09-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I was going to reply to the email, but will do so here so more will know. Roughly do you know what shipping is on these dashes? Such an oversized item sorta scares me on the cost of that. Heck, anything that won't fit in a flat rate box scares me when it comes to shipping.

Other question, and it's probably a dumb one, but you can do any factory(ish) color on these, right?
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
nbpro
Account Suspended

if your going to do any good with your dashes/work you need to give more info like cost vinyl grade and colors ect.. how you will do them if dash is real bad shipping and so on good luck
Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
joe231

and I'm wondering why you seem so reluctant to post some close up pics of your seams and stitching. In some of the pics there are some noticeable wrinkles on the corners around the instrument cluster. Anyone spending $300+ on a dash is most likely going to want something pretty close to perfect. I'm not trying to bust balls, but you also need to keep in mind we are very protective of this forum. It is the greatest out there IMO because we are that way. This is kinda like a second home for many of us and we don't want anyone showing up trying to make a buck with sub-par products.
And I'm sorry i haven't done it sooner, partially due to the attitude you projected in some of your post, But to the site!

Last edited by joe231; 09-10-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
ajlezama

Here are some pics of my work close up.. I will post some more tomorrow, hope this helps..
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
ajlezama

i dont think i will be more than 50 for shipping.. but i will check and get back to you. as far as price i will be doing them at a fair price. $175 with a core and $200 without. buyer will pay for shipping.. colors i can get any color stock to custom. if you have an idea of what colors you want your dash done in or if you want your dash in 2 tones it will be the same price as long as its vinyl. leather will be extra. if you want more than one i will work something out with you all..
Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #12
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

price shipping to Anch, Ak 99517 please?

Dave in Ak.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
ol yellow 72

seems to notice the close up pict still didnt show the area around the cluster with the wrinkle, id think this is gonna wrinkle at all bends, and id think that heat, and cold the vinyl would eventually work its way loose, or not stay intact, leaving u with a $200 mess, and imo i think it looks kinda retro, like cheap 70s, and the ends will eventually strart peeling off, id shy away from this and choose the LMC cap just my 2 cents
Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
BigBlocksRule

I have one I pulled out of a '99 Tahoe with a few dings on it but no big cracks, etc. I may be in the Austin area in December, if you want to meet me, I'll let you have it, might be worth trying something on. I like the stitched look and the '95 up should provide a great piece to display some of your talents
Old 09-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol yellow 72 View Post
seems to notice the close up pict still didnt show the area around the cluster with the wrinkle, id think this is gonna wrinkle at all bends, and id think that heat, and cold the vinyl would eventually work its way loose, or not stay intact, leaving u with a $200 mess, and imo i think it looks kinda retro, like cheap 70s, and the ends will eventually strart peeling off, id shy away from this and choose the LMC cap just my 2 cents
You are doing a lot of "thinking"...have you covered a dash in vinyl, do you have one...how do you know first hand? You realize GM pads are wrapped and glued, right?

Also, anything but a GM pad will suck, plain and simple. Been down that road...dash caps, aftermarket, they all suck. LMC isn't going to save the day for you.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
nbpro
Account Suspended

I actually thought there was a foam sprayed over a mold, slid into a machine, and heatshrunk the vinyl over the mold. I guess you could call that wrapping and glueing, but it's a far cry from doing one by hand, which isn't easy. Only had a couple of years in auto upholstery. Mostly did headliners and seat covers. But a few dashes. And to be honest with you, the GM design wasn't good quality in these year models. all as far as that goes That's why you see so many of them cracked, busted, etc.
LMC caps are actually just protectors from UV and to keep junk from sliding on your dash if you set it up there. And they look like crap. That's my opinion.

Last edited by nbpro; 09-11-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #17
nbpro
Account Suspended

I know a long time ago in Belvedere IL. I think that's how you spell it. There's a Chrysler plant there. Had a friend worked in that department and he said something about a machine and heat shrunk. So I was at least halfway right, huh?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
bigd65

Quote:
i dont think i will be more than 50 for shipping.. but i will check and get back to you. as far as price i will be doing them at a fair price. $175 with a core and $200 without. buyer will pay for shipping.. colors i can get any color stock to custom. if you have an idea of what colors you want your dash done in or if you want your dash in 2 tones it will be the same price as long as its vinyl. leather will be extra. if you want more than one i will work something out with you all..
I live just South of Houston, What if I come and pick it up with a core ?????
Old 03-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #19
bigd65

Anyone know if this guy is still around or in business
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
RuralRoute C-30

Here is a link... fairly sure it's same guy.
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2235490814.html

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 03-12-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #21
ajlezama

Im still here.. just been really busy with my own projects.. i will be doing a whole interior on my new 84 chevy.. will post pics later...
Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #22
chevymadness

Smile Re: Vinyl wrapped dash pads

Quote:
A while back i was introduced to this website through someone that found my posting on craigslist, they posted my dash pads on here without my knowledge, i got a couple of calls from several different members and sold a couple of them, they told me that i should sell my dash pads on this website, i posted a thread on here and i was unaware that i had to purchase any kind of space to sell, i figured it was just like craigslist, that was a mistake on my part. Now im thinking about paying a lil more so i can sell them on here, and not violate any rules, now i have yet to see how many members are interested on what i have to offer. Here are some pics of my work..
WOW! GREAT! Iv been looking everywhere online to replace my new dash i happen to come here and your work looks great.But i have questions my 1982 silverado dash has a crack in it in front of the passenger about the size of my palm.And in front of the driver above the gauges there are tiny cracks above the cliff area its overall great but again crackes.Now what do you do to make these babys look brand new i need help! how do you replace this do you have brand new silverado dashes for my year.And what are these dashes made out of .im finding alot of mold dashes online but there cheap stamp plastic type junk but i found someone who makes "urethane materials " dashes if thats any good quaility.

So guys help me out anyone who reads this help me what are original dashes made out of so i could buy a reproduction or a mold that is simialiar quality if i have to.lmc dash looks just like the cheapy mold ones i see all the time and is expensive! price.But then again i dont want cheap stuff for my truck even tho im going to probaly cover it in leather.I found some dashes that are made out of "urethane materials " how good is that.

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #23
ajlezama

your dash can be fixed then wrapped... i fill in the all the tears, then put a small layer of foam then the vinyl goes on top of that.. i seem some on here that the layer of foam is too thick and this does make the dash look like garbage.. if you cant find anyone to make one like you want i heard from alot of members on here that you can get a new one at the dealership. i dont know if thats true but they said it ran about 300 or so.. dont know just what alot of members posted on here..
Old 03-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #24
MILLER TIME

Look pretty sweet!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #25
ajlezama

Remember you get what you pay for..
Closed Thread