The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
DaSchlange

Question 250ci Thermostat Housing WTB

Hey there, I am looking for the lower thermostat housing units that were used on this motor. I'm sure everyone here knows what I am talking about, but if you are confused about what I am asking then I can upload a picture. I happened to come across a 1969 I6 that I got to buy and I took the housing off of it, but now I need one to replace it because I plan on rebuilding this motor for a back up engine for my truck. If anyone can help me out here I would greatly appreciate it. All I'm looking for is someone that has parts or is parting out this kind of motor and I do believe even a 292 would work as well. Thanks!!!
DaSchlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 250ci Thermostat Housing WTB

The L6 t-stat housing used to be a pretty common part to find. I broke one [the OEM was aluminum] overtorqueing it on-- while at a radiator shop in a bad part of town some years ago. I was amazed to find Pep Boys didn't carry it anymore. But the parts guy consulted some numbers books and came up with one that was made for Toyota 4.2/ 4.8 Liters out of Landcruisers. It was cast iron, had a 1/2" pipe thread tap in the top for a temp sending gauge probe, and the angle was slightly different from the GM piece, but the bolt holes, thermostat channel and hose connection diameters were the same so I got it just to get home. It's been on ever since, 2nd engine too. I painted it Chevy Engine Orange and most folks don't notice. [See Avatar, screen left]
The stock Chevy V8 unit has the wrong angle, but some aftermarket pieces have a variable angle neck, and I've seen them in some pix of peoples' hotrodded L6s.
Since I use a flex hose from the radiator, the angle is not critical.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-29-2010 at 06:08 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote