The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
sjarrett71

Like your Flowmasters?

I have the opportunity to get a set of Flowmasters with the header flanges. My question is, do those of you that use them like the way they sound attached directly to the header or do they sound better farther back in the exhaust system?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
cam.man67

Re: Like your Flowmasters?

Personally, I can't say I like the sound of mine back about 24" from the header. Too much freakin' massive bass only at idle, raspy up until 3000rpm. After that, it sounds pretty sweet, though, real rich and mellow.
1989 Toyota Pickup 22re, auto, 3.73
cam.man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
QKENUF4U

mine where under my bed and had no echo/drone in the cab. my 91 has one under the bed and love it.. never knew they made on that ran straight off the header... i imagine that will cause huge drone in the cab....
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Kerry P

From what I've read and experienced the further back you mount mufflers the better they silence.

The amount of HP you are pushing through makes a big difference. I have Flow Master Three Chambers on two of my cars. Both cars have 2.5" pipes. The stock 350 is very mellow. The modified 427 is a lot louder than I expected based on how the 350 sounded.

X pipe or an H pipe are almost always beneficial to sound reduction and boosting mid range power.

Kerry P
Kerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Davetopay

Rules of thumb with Flowmasters....

1: If it is under the passenger compartment it WILL drone. The RPM may vary, but it WILL drone.

2: If you run a crossover pipe, H pipes tend to sound better than an X.

3: They will drone when under the passenger cabin.

4: If you like the chambered sound, but want something different, check out the MAC Flo-Path mufflers.

5: They will drone if not mounted under the bed.
Davetopay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetopay View Post
Rules of thumb with Flowmasters....

1: If it is under the passenger compartment it WILL drone. The RPM may vary, but it WILL drone.

2: If you run a crossover pipe, H pipes tend to sound better than an X.

3: They will drone when under the passenger cabin.

4: If you like the chambered sound, but want something different, check out the MAC Flo-Path mufflers.

5: They will drone if not mounted under the bed.
So basically what your saying is if they are mounted under the cab they will drone?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
vectorit
What?

I have series 70 Flow Masters on my burb, and the muffs are close to the rear axle. Running ram manifolds, stock pipe diameter, H pipe, and exhaust tips behind rear wheels.

I get a drone.

Though the drone is not all that bad, since I have fan noise, and Rockwell T case gear whine noise. So, it's all good to me I guess...
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

40 series Flowmasters on my '72 GMC just behind the cab, and exhasut dumps out just in front of rear tire. 425 HP SBC pushing through that 3" system... I can see people wince in cars that I pass at WOT...

Some cab noise but tolerable. But what's tolerable to me... might not be to others.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 10-01-2010 at 12:16 AM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
69 longhorn

I have 50's Flows on the longhorn mounted well back, H pipe, & full tail pipes(straight out the back). I love they sound, but will say I tryed the 40's 1st , & didnt like them at all with the same system. The 40's had a drone @ legal hyway speed that would give you a headache.....if you stand on the loud peddle, the 50's are damn near as loud as the 40's, but they are a lot more mellow @ cruise speed. My system is 2 1/2" all the way back from the Hookers.....TRUST ME, you dont want the muffs bolted to the headers (unless you love it LOUD) crazyAL
Old 10-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

what i cant hear you my exhaust is loud and its in the back of the truck but when i cruz it rumbles real nice

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
JesseH13
AMBITION

im running the flowmaster 44's in my and sounds great its half under cab and bed thats were i usually place them when i install them at work.

CROOKED68 (PROJECT)
JesseH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
LilD

I have 40 series on my 70 and I love the sound. They are mounted under the bed with a short downward dump. It drones but I dont mind.
LilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
sjarrett71

So if they are mounted directly to the headers I can expect them to be loud no matter if I run the tailpipes out the rear?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
br161

i have had flowmasters on almost everything i have ever owned from dually to hotrods and the drone has always bothered me. especially when taking trips to the beach or 45min or longer drives, so with my 69 i installed magnaflows and they fit the bill all the way around. good hotrod sound throaty when they need to be not overpowering and sound changes dramatically with the pressure didnt think the diff would have been that great but it is as far as flows under cab anywhere is asking for headaches definetly just my $.02
br161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
scooterskoolkustoms

I have flows on my burb and love the sound,no room for an x-pipe.The mufflers are mounted as far back as I could and I love the sound.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
Truckwerks

defiantly don't mount them on the headers, you wont like the sound at all. I agree with the general consensus mount them under the header panel of the bed and you will be golden. Also what series are they? short bodies are generally 40-44 and long bodies can be 50-70 series.

Check out Prodyno.com
Truckwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
So if they are mounted directly to the headers I can expect them to be loud no matter if I run the tailpipes out the rear?
Before I remove the engine from my 1972 C10 it had the flowmaster's mounted to the header flange. And it was 3" pipes right under the cab that was not as loud as one would expect. But I never drove it on long trips and would have to say it would not be fun to listen to those loud mutters.

Just have to remember if you are going to make this you daily driver or just a fun toy. Everyone is different and so are their taste in what they can tolerate in regard to sound.

Good luck
Old 10-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #18
thepunisher

I've heard these referred to as chokemasters, that they sound good but that there are better performing mufflers available. I've never seen a fair comparison, I doubt you ever will. No magazine is going to risk loosing the advertising revenue. I spoke with the local muffler shop about doing the exhaust on my truck. The most that I could get out of him was that he wasn't a fan, no specifics. Anyone have experience with converting one way or the other? Meaning switching just the mufflers to or from flowmaster and experiencing a difference?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Quote:
So basically what your saying is if they are mounted under the cab they will drone?
Ain't no BASIC to it. It's an iron-clad guarantee. Mine are directly beneath my feet. While the exhaust exits in front of the rear wheels AND while I really liked hearing the exhaust note as it echoed off of whatever was next to it, I gotta say that my plan is to move the mufflers to where they are beneath the bed, add an X-pipe and extend the tailpipes to the rear of the truck, tucked up outta sight behind the bed corners and pointing down to the pavement.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
Robertjust777

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepunisher View Post
I've heard these referred to as chokemasters, that they sound good but that there are better performing mufflers available. I've never seen a fair comparison, I doubt you ever will. No magazine is going to risk loosing the advertising revenue. I spoke with the local muffler shop about doing the exhaust on my truck. The most that I could get out of him was that he wasn't a fan, no specifics. Anyone have experience with converting one way or the other? Meaning switching just the mufflers to or from flowmaster and experiencing a difference?
ive herd the same... but im going to switch to spintech mufflers and see how that goes just going to cut out the flowmasters and weld in the others will keep you posted
Robertjust777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
96blazr

Quote:
That's not a Yes, but more like a: OH HELL YEAH!! They're right under your feet and under your Cab, it's gonna be LOUD!!!
Now, if you're good with that, then Rock on, but if after, say 3 or 4 months of driving around and you can't even carry on a conversation without yelling, then it's time to re-think the whole thing.

I did research for 4 months before I decided on getting my HOOKER AERO-CHAMBER mufflers and I'm VERY Glad I did. I have a stock GMPP 350 w/ 300 HP going through Hedman headers and dumping AFTER the rear tires and Let me tall ya, I get a NICE low rumble at idle and when I take off, even just pulling away without punching it, it's got one hellva sound, PLUS the AERO-CHAMBERS are one the THE highest flowing mufflers out there.

Hey look, if can get the FlowCrappers for free, then fine, but I think you'd be doing yourself a huge favor by saving your money and getting a full length system.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #22
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazr View Post
That's not a Yes, but more like a: OH HELL YEAH!! They're right under your feet and under your Cab, it's gonna be LOUD!!!
Now, if you're good with that, then Rock on, but if after, say 3 or 4 months of driving around and you can't even carry on a conversation without yelling, then it's time to re-think the whole thing.

I did research for 4 months before I decided on getting my HOOKER AERO-CHAMBER mufflers and I'm VERY Glad I did. I have a stock GMPP 350 w/ 300 HP going through Hedman headers and dumping AFTER the rear tires and Let me tall ya, I get a NICE low rumble at idle and when I take off, even just pulling away without punching it, it's got one hellva sound, PLUS the AERO-CHAMBERS are one the THE highest flowing mufflers out there.

Hey look, if can get the FlowCrappers for free, then fine, but I think you'd be doing yourself a huge favor by saving your money and getting a full length system.
What I was talking about with the tailpipe out the rear is a full length tailpipe. Would that make a difference in loudness?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #23
GRX

Since you are asking for people's opinions ... I have never been a fan of that Flowmaster hollow tin can sound.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #24
sjarrett71

Sure, opinions are what I wanted. I've heard Flowmasters I liked like the ones I had on my 95 Dodge 4x4 with a 360. I've also heard the tin can sound on other vehicles. I guess what I needed to know, in your guys opinion, is should I cut the collector flanges off the muffler and mount them further back or would it really make any difference in the sound. From what I'm hearing, I should mount them further back to reduce the noise in the cab.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
Murphy IRE

I have the iron eagle manifolds and my flow masters are under the bed. The exhaust comes out behind the wheels and pointed out. At idle it's a deep raspy cough. When I mash it, it's loud and it turns every head. For long trips, I do want to sound proof the cab. Some one commented about watching people wince when you pass. I love to do it to the yuppy BMW drivers!!!
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote