The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
HSkinner

How to wire a 700r4

I've got the 700r4 installed and I keep seeing stuff about locking up the torque convertor. Do I have to do this to get the truck to function properly. I don't care much about locking up 4th gear, I just want it to shift right.
HSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: How to wire a 700r4

There are many threads on proper 700R4 setup and lockup converter wiring over in the 'Engine and Drivetrain' section. The correct adjustment of the TV cable is critical to the life of the trans. If it is not setup properly, you will burn up your trans in a short time. IIRC engaging the lockup mode in the trans also applies full pressure on the OD clutches. Which is a good thing to have.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
72timemachine

I put a 700r4 in my 72 c-10 and I love it. In order for your trans to truely lock up in 4th gear and get that better mileage you have these two options down below.

The first one is more expensive and causes the converter to disengage upon braking, whereas the 2nd one will also lock your converter in 4th gear but does not disengage the converter on braking but this one never gave me any trouble so far, beside the trans returns to a lower gear anyway when you slow, stop, or deck the throttle.

The choice is yours either way you have to drop the pan, do yourself a favor, add a drain plug and have it welded (the nut the drain plug threads into) on from the inside. Change the trans fluid 30,000 miles or less and when you take off the filter be sure the small o ring gasket is not still stuck up inside the trans, use a small hooked tool to pull it out evenly a little at a time until it come out.

Good luck.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/700R4-...-Kit,2362.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOCK-...7#ht_777wt_877
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #4
Woogeroo

700r4 articles, info. pertaining to our trucks - a text file with urls, links

transmission links

Also look for the FAQ / Truck tech forum on this site we are on.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
LEEVON

The wiring controls the lock-up solenoid. It's really simple, I have a post here somewhere describing what pin to use on the connector. Chances are your trans already has the internal stuff.

Now, just to be clear you don't HAVE to use the lock-up but it will drop your RPM's and lower temps. I only use it on the freeway at 70 plus.

Lock-up and TV cable are two very different things. If you want to make your trans last you need to invest in the proper linkages, a pressure gauge and read up on how it all works. Otherwise you'll fry it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
karlbenz

got mine on a toggle switch
karlbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #7
raycow

Unless your transmission is defective or has been modified by a PO, you absolutely do not have to go inside it to enable the lockup function. All of the necessary components were installed by GM and wired to the connector on the driver side of the transmission. Remember, the lockup worked on every one of these transmissions when it left the factory.

The aftermarket vendors have done a good job of making the lockup appear much more difficult than it really is just so they could sell you overpriced parts that you don't need.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote