The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
dccarpenter

Should I tow blazer with C30 and towbar?

Just found a good deal on a '75 Blazer but it needs to be towed to me due to the brakes being out.

I have a C30 one ton dually with a heavy duty bumper, it's rated for 4,000 pounds tow(no hitch on the truck at the moment), I can buy a towbar at Autozone tonight for 70 bucks to tow it home with. If I stick to non-highways think it'll work out ok? I'll be driving like a grandma maybe 30-35 max speed. I know the weight will be a touch over(truck weighs 4500 according to Google, no back seat/spare though so that drops it 4300lbs probably) what the bumper's rated for but seeing if anybody thinks it'll be a major issue.

Also, since it's 4x4 do I need to disconnect both driveshafts or will just the back be ok?
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
swampfox

Re: Should I tow blazer with C30 and towbar?

You might check the price to rent a trailer instead of buying the tow bar.I pull a 71 charger with a 440 with my 69 half ton. the main problem was the on dirt roads the car would not follow at times and it made the trip more exciting than I cared for. Another problem was the front of the car was heavier than the back of the truck. the trailer would be safer.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Not sure about using the towbar vs. a trailer, but you can put the transfer case in neutral, and tow it like that if you are going to flat tow it.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
dccarpenter

I considered the trailer and would go that route as they are cheap to rent, however I don't have a hitch and I was worried the added weight of the trailer + the blazer would far exceed the 4,000 pound suggested limit for my bumper.

My truck itself is heavy , being a one ton and a dually, and with a good hitch I wouldn't hesitate to pull 2 trucks at once. Just trying to get this 1 blazer home without buying a towbar and a hitch...(plus taking the time to install the hitch in the dark in my apartment lot parking lot tonight) or renting a trailer and buying a hitch.

I've pretty much decided to grab the towbar and give it a shot, worst case scenario is it doesn't feel good and I pull into the closest Autozone and buy a hitch, install it in the lot, then hook the truck backup to the hitch via the towbar.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
83burban

Unless you plan on putting a tow hitch on it, you cannot safely pull a trailer and a car.

Flat towing should be fine as long as you are driving slowly and carefully. I always bunjee corded the steering wheel to center so that when the car was tracking through turns the wheels could return to center and not lock to one side.
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote