The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
GOPAPA

Total Disaster ,,Starting Over with help

My daughter and I attemped putting in my rear window glass and rubber gasket with chrome in it into my truck .

I warmed the gasket up by my wood stove
We put the gasket onto the window

We then put the Chrome into the groove in the gasket
Then I took vynol covered clothes line and inserted it into the groove that fits over the flange of the truck window hole..with a loop hanging out of it in the middle on top and also ends hanging down in the middle on the bottom.

I then put lots of vasolene into the groove along with the vynol clothes line

next I put the bottom of the window on the bottom flange and with my daughter pushing in from the out side and me in the inside we togeather got the window in place all across the bottom and up both ends almost to the top .Most of the time the vynol line came out and didnt help me with the gasket ..

Thats where it went sour on us and would not cover the flange enough to stay put and kept on slipping back off the flange ..

Finally I tore the rubber trying and that was that ,,stopped trying .. So now I am going to buy another gasket and am asking for some information on what brand I should buy and and this time I will take Kelly up on his offer to lend me a hand and help me put the window in..My daughter did great ,,but she now is going back to her home in Denver so I lost my helper..

The gasket has a 1/2 inch deep groove and my chrome has a 5/8 inch flange as far as I can tell ,,is this tipical ?? what do you think why this happened ?

I have a LMC gasket and LMC glass and LMC chrome ,,I would like to use the glass and chrome but I will need a new gasket ..gp Larry
Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
treveiger

Re: Total Disaster ,,Starting Over with help

Ive heard of people have a heck of a time with them and even busting the brand new windows they got and if youve never done it before its a lot easier to just have a shop do it.
I know i hate letting other people work on my truck without me at least there but its a thought.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

You probably don't want to use vaseline, it will make a mess and won't "go away". If you need lube, use foaming window cleaner... It will evaporate.

You want to loop the rope all the way around with about 6" of overlap... The trick is to use a small circular motion to pull it out. Start in the middle on the bottom of the window and work your way outwards, around the bottom corners then finish at the top. We did it this way because the top corners are easier to get around because they are curved.

You want to keep pressure on the window to get started but one it starts to settle in, use a flat hand and "slap" the outside of the window with the palm of your hand. You will see you this starts to "pop" the rubber and window into place. Be careful not to hit it too hard or with the bottom of your hand - you want to use an open palm.

It can be a pain in the but but usually the back window is a lot more straight-forward that the windshield. Good luck. I may make it sound easy but I have a good friend who is a bodyman who helped me and he has done lots of them.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
69 longhorn

I have had more luck with a hook tool , than I have had with the rope trick. I used a hook to install both the front sheild & rear glass in my 4" chop top truck. the rear glass is 'duck soup " paired to the front my wife helped with both installs, & she watched me slap that windsheild in place....when I saw her reach up to slap that glass, I told her "DO NOT "! Glass is something that you need a feel for....it took me 6 1/2 hrs to cut that old windsheild down, & sand the edges! crazyAl
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
lofly'a

i have always used Dawn dish soap as a lubricant, works great for a lot of things including "killing wasps". the rope trick is a very effective method.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
KEL
72 GMC

Doesn't the back window install from the inside out ?
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
Doesn't the back window install from the inside out ?

no all are outside installs

no to the vasiline/yes to dishsoap//the rope trick is best with the thinest smallest diameter cord you can get// i also use plastic knife to help the gasket alog// concentrate on one inch at a time not the whole gasket
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
Sammy

The two biggest problem I have seen with this operation are the quality and incorrect gasket for the year of the trim.
Order from a vendor such as GMC Pauls not LMC. They use "Precision" brand I think is the name brand. The better easier quality.
I had a new windshield trim type gasket from LMC. Was sitting for a while but new stored. Finally had a use for it. Went to install it and it wasn't close to correct. I dunno marked wrong or what but was just entirely too big almost 2 inched larger than the windshield.
The year of the SS trim get a gasket for the correct one. Different for the year even from 67-72. Be sure your using the correct one.
Like the others, Dawn dish soap and a string, along with a small hook type ice pick and plenty of patience worked for me. Never installed one in cool weather usually had better luck on a 90 degree or better day. Good Luck.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Sammy

With the window out, the seal around the window itself, did the trim fit inside the groove properly? If not that's a good idea the wrong year seal for your trim.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
DT1

Wait until you try to install the front one! Two words...
Precision or Sofseal.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Quote:
The gasket has a 1/2 inch deep groove and my chrome has a 5/8 inch flange as far as I can tell ,,is this tipical ?? what do you think why this happened ?
Wrong gasket for the trim you have Larry... And you want the rope to go around the gasket in one piece with the loose ends about 2" in from the bottom corners. Light pressure on the outside of the glass. It is easy to push too hard on it. Work the rope alternately from one side to the other. It is much easier with 3 people, one on the inside and two on the outside...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
GOPAPA

Thanks every one of you for the replies .. You have been very helpful ....

I will not use vasoline next time .. I am through with LMC .. I was referrred DC trucks near me and I called them this morn and they said they have precision gaskets and also LMC is a dirty word around them..DC Trucks told me the very first thing they hear about LMC Gaskets is the Chrome doesnt fit ... Live and Learn ,,at least about some of LMC's parts..

I have door gaskets that I bought 3 years ago{{LMC}} I bought these and many other items before learning from this forum what I know now and now am not wanting to even try to use them and find they do not fit .. any feed back on this also would be helpful ..I read once that Chevy S-10 door gaskets is the easiest and clip on instead of glue on . any one that can verify this ,,again ,,I always appreciate what you know .. that I don't ..Gp Larry
Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Larry,
The S10 seals will work, but you may want to find some used ones, the new ones I put on my truck are still breaking in after many years....The first years of the S10 do line up with the cab.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

i installed an lmc gasket...it was a trick rope a plastic pry bar thingy and lube and patience was it..

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 View Post
Larry,
The S10 seals will work, but you may want to find some used ones, the new ones I put on my truck are still breaking in after many years....The first years of the S10 do line up with the cab.

Looks like I would need a NOS from way back to satisfy this order then .. I might try and find a old S-10 truck some time and check out the rubber ,but if its ugly then I might as well use new,,might have to eat the lmc and buy a better brand if I do indeed find that is the case.. thanks Gp Larry

Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
i installed an lmc gasket...it was a trick rope a plastic pry bar thingy and lube and patience was it..
Glad you got it to work for you ,,but,,, did it have chrome and is it for sure a tight fit and not just look like it with slack around the glass like mine was after fitting it around the glass..espesially the ends ...this plus the chrome which wouldnt sit down in the groove enough and stuck out an 1/8 inch ,, it was a just a sloppy loose fit.. maybe some are tight and some are loose ? I may never know ,,but like I said no more LMC ,,sorry but this isnt the first boo boo I have had with them.. gp Larry
Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
71 super

Larry there is only one gasket for the rear with trim, they fit 67-72. Get a precision brand gasket and precision brand trim. The fronts are different from year to year the rear are not! Only big or small, trim or no. As far as the vasoline, I have done three glasses now (two windshields and one rear) The problem I think was the rope of choice- get a small diameter cotton rope get the seal really warm, install on the glass and then install the trim. Center the glass in the holeafter lubing the rubber really well. Loop about 8-12 inches long at top ends meeting in middle at bottom. Place the glass in the hole, pushing in and pull one side at a time to within two inces of the top corner. When pulling, lift up hard to get the seal over the lip. Do the same for the other side, again to within 2 inches of the top corner. Now start at the loop at top and pull down hard again this helps the seal move over the lip. Do one side at a time, you will have to really push at the corners to get them to "jump" in. This is really a 15-20 minute job. The key is getting a quality gasket and warming the gasket up until it is really pliable. Dont know about dawn, but just installed the front glass in 4x4 with a&d ointment (diaper rash stuff) and it too jumped right in. I did use the 67-70 gasket and trim (easier) instead of the 71-72 (small lip) -for the front the year doesnt matter as long as the gasket and trim match. You can do this! It cant be hard it was don on an assembly line turning out lots of vehicles per hour. Good string, good gasket, good trim- no lmc.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Slick67
Sofa King Crazy!!

Here is another little trick that I used while working at a trim shop when I was younger........weed-eater line. It won't break or leave small debris, and can be wrapped around anything to be pulled as hard as needed. I used a small amount of 3 in 1 household oil (which doesn't hurt rubber) on the gasket and on the cab edge, just enough to make it look wet on the rubber edge that goes in the cab. 2 people makes it an easy job.

My Blazer Build (New) - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=654650

My 67 Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335650

67 Chevy LWB big window a/c AKA TOTALLED BY A JACKASS.
1972 2wd Blazer "Porterbuilt and Sloshed"

Last edited by Slick67; 11-29-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Slick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #18
tanman722001

When i worked at a glass company years ago.We always used a small rope and silicone spray.And they went in fairly easy.And we never put the chrome on the rubber then try to put the window in the truck.
1993 Chevy S10 Blazer 4dr 4.3 Vortex/Auto
tanman722001 is offline   Reply With Quote