The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
enick72

Purchased a Tuned Port Injection L98

I have just bought a complete L98 to put into my 65 and it comes with a harness but I can't remember which brand. I did a search and only found a few post of people using TPI but they have no endings. I have made a list of things I'll need for the install since I'm going from a 6 cyl; radiator, elect. cooling fans, engine mounts and throttle cable.
Is there any other items or insite anyone can add for my swap?

I'm also running a T5will I be able to run my original bell housing and flywheel?

Last edited by enick72; 12-04-2010 at 03:37 PM.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

Re: Purchased a Tuned Port Injection L98

electric speedo sending unit......High GPM fuel pump....return fuel lines...

Make sure the chip is burned for the trans/wheel/gear setup you have....

Electric gauges.....or at least a speedo....

O2 sensor...
knock sensor
probably some other stuff i can't remember

good luck!

1964 GMC Fleetside Shortbed....350/700R4 tranny
64GMCHorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
enick72

The speed sensor is one of the things I had not thought of. My T5 is sensor output (no cable) so I will be adding a electronic speedo anyway. I also had not thought about a fuel return, can this be done with factory tank/sendin unit?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Bugeyev8

been running a TPI since they were the newest SBC, now its outdated and obsolete in the chevy world but I happen to like mine so it will stay, I installed a TPI in 1994 in my 62 C10, I used the factory harness and rewired a few things and never have run the speed sensor..it has been on the list of things to do but it was never an issue, torque converter locks and unlocks and everything works, the speed sensor they say is necessary but its for the cruise and the mass air burn off function, if you want to run one you need a 10 pulse per mile, I used an 8 ppm one on another project from a very early Jeep cherokee (inline with GM speedo cable sizes on each end and it works fine, I have an inline one from painless I will install one day on the 62, I have a mid 90s Ford Ranger fuel pump and it has worked great, I have used them in about 6cars I converted to EFI and they are a great loe cost alternative, its an inline pump that is actually a bosch unit and the factory Ford mounts work well in hot rod applications, PM me if you ahve any questions
Attached Images

Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Bugeyev8

the way I did the return was to tap into the tank sending unit and bend a line all the way along the stock pick up, I used stainless saftey wire and wired it to the fuel pick up line and silver soldered it in, been working for all these years, the first time I did it I ran the line in at the top and did not run the line below the fuel level and it caused a constant gas smell in the cab because of the returning fuel, the 2nd way I described works great and no more fuel smell, I used the stock fuel line for the feed to the pump, I am in the middle of cleaning up the TPI install and will be re routing the fuel inlet on the fuel rail to the rear to make the lines easier to route

Quote:
Originally Posted by enick72 View Post
The speed sensor is one of the things I had not thought of. My T5 is sensor output (no cable) so I will be adding a electronic speedo anyway. I also had not thought about a fuel return, can this be done with factory tank/sendin unit?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
enick72

Thanks for the info I will more than likely contact you as I get closer on this project. Are you running MAF or MAP? How did you run yor air intake?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Bugeyev8

I am running MAF just because it will respond more to engine upgrades (cam heads, ect) than the Map (speed density) systems, I have a 92 TPI firebird intake hose to a remote filter from some mid 90s buick you can see part of it in the pics, I have since removed this and will be using a boxed K@N cone, I am going to make the box myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by enick72 View Post
Thanks for the info I will more than likely contact you as I get closer on this project. Are you running MAF or MAP? How did you run yor air intake?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
RollinKaos

Good luck with your install. I really like the TPI system. Its outdated like Bugeye said but it looks cool under the hood. Too bad it was OBD 1 though. You can still get plenty of response from the go pedal with it, especially if it is a daily driver.
CPP 3/5 drop with front sway bar.
RollinKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Bugeyev8

I have a semi ported intake(removed the EGR stuff in the air flow) and an air foil in mine and a chip and it has left skid marks in a few pants over the years, its got dual ex but I am going 2 1/2 with x pipe which should help things out, the key is the lower stall 6 cylinder auto trans I have, the T5 should be great too, just make sure you get a world class version 92-94 I believe, not all T5s are world class, the reg t5 will not last long with the weight of a truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinKaos View Post
Good luck with your install. I really like the TPI system. Its outdated like Bugeye said but it looks cool under the hood. Too bad it was OBD 1 though. You can still get plenty of response from the go pedal with it, especially if it is a daily driver.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
RollinKaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 View Post
I have a semi ported intake(removed the EGR stuff in the air flow) and an air foil in mine and a chip and it has left skid marks in a few pants over the years, its got dual ex but I am going 2 1/2 with x pipe which should help things out, the key is the lower stall 6 cylinder auto trans I have, the T5 should be great too, just make sure you get a world class version 92-94 I believe, not all T5s are world class, the reg t5 will not last long with the weight of a truck
Loved the TPI in my '91 Z28, and have done some mods. I was kickin around the idea of going TPI in my '63 but it would not fit the look Im going for.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
bama63

Quote:
try the megasquirt its fully adjustable with a laptop no proms to burn and a really neat program for setting your fuel tables can be used with or without ignition control and will even adapt to use the distributorless ignition systems take a look at http://www.diyautotune.com/
Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
71swb4x4

I bought my VSS and some air intake ducting from www.jagsthatrun.com They have a good TPI swap book too.

A great resourse is www.chevythunder.com

I had Brian at tpichips.com burn my chip for me. I told him what I was running on the engine and tranny and such and he burned my chip for me.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Bugeyev8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama63 View Post
try the megasquirt its fully adjustable with a laptop no proms to burn and a really neat program for setting your fuel tables can be used with or without ignition control and will even adapt to use the distributorless ignition systems take a look at http://www.diyautotune.com/
been there done that, its not as easy as they say, the factory set up runs better with less effort
Old 12-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
bama63

Quote:
been there done that, its not as easy as they say, the factory set up runs better with less effort

yes it does take alot of tuning to get it right i just like the ease of switching fuel tables from saved files in less than a minute you can go from cruising economy to performance but for the guys that like to burn there own proms try here a real econimical way to diy your own chips http://www.moates.net/
Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
Bugeyev8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama63 View Post
yes it does take alot of tuning to get it right i just like the ease of switching fuel tables from saved files in less than a minute you can go from cruising economy to performance but for the guys that like to burn there own proms try here a real econimical way to diy your own chips http://www.moates.net/
done that too, takes a little learning but pretty easy after that
Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #16
RollinKaos

Do you have any experience running a muncie speed behind a TPI?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #17
Bugeyev8

Quote:
Do you have any experience running a muncie speed behind a TPI?
nope but what would the difference really be between that and a T5 ?? just install an inline speed sensor or an aftermarket one and go I would assume?
Old 12-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #18
bama63

Quote:
nope but what would the difference really be between that and a T5 ?? just install an inline speed sensor or an aftermarket one and go I would assume?
i agree you can pickup an inline speed sensor from howellefi.com and i think summit sells one and use any trans you can think of