The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
burkeens

The torch is passed.

One of my favorite things growing up was riding around with my uncle's 1968 C-10. He bought it new in 1967, well before I was born. I have always been crazy about that truck and always peeked out in the garage it when back in my hometown. My uncle takes great care of his things and has always kept the truck garaged, so it's still in pretty good condition for a 43-year old truck. A few weeks ago, he called and said he had decided to retire the truck out to the barn, and if I wanted it, I could come pick it up. Of course, I said yes. I took title to it several weeks ago, but only got it in hand this past weekend. Although I have driven a manual transmission pickup daily for several years, it was still a little adjustment to get used to the 3ott and manual brakes on the 68. Hearing the gas sloshing around behind the seat also takes some getting used to.

So now I getting over the shock of owning my favorite truck of all time. Now, I am trying to figure out what to do to keep it in good condition. I don't want to drive it every day, but I don't want to let it sit around a deteriorate either. I probably will have it repainted. It still has the original paint job, but it is getting thin and showing patina. Other than the fact that my uncle had the dealer add power steering to it early on, replaced the side windows, and recovered the seat, it's pretty much all stock. The engine is original, but was rebuilt several years ago. He have me the original west coast junior windows in case I ever want to put them back on.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what to do with the truck and what should be restored vs. left alone. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of mechanical experience, so I will have to get a lot of help. The three things I am thinking about right now are (1) repainting, (2) adding front wheel disc brakes, (3) adding shoulder belts, and (4) moving the tank out of the cab. I will put pictures below. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by burkeens; 12-14-2010 at 11:54 PM.
burkeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: The torch is passed.

Nice looking truck. First thing i would do is make sure it runs and drives decent and then decide what you want to do. Make sure everything is up to snuff. (fluids, tires, brakes etc...) Then drive it for awhile and make your decision.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
burkeens

Thanks. Yes, it has been checked out mechanically. Probably a good idea just to drive it for a while and think about it.

Last edited by burkeens; 12-15-2010 at 12:03 AM.
burkeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

What a beautiful original truck!

As TMS posted above...

1 - get it running and driving straight
2 - Buff the 'original' paint
3 - drive it and enjoy it!

You will get a 1,000 different opinions on what to do with the truck, but for me, as original and as solid as the truck really is, I would leave the original paint (it's only original once). I would then consider upgrading the brakes for functionality purposes, leave the tank, lower the truck and drive the wheels off it!

Also, think about all your options and make a plan because changing one thing will affect other upgrades you do in the future.

We need some more pics!!!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 12-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
knsmodels
I make Models

Beautiful truck you got there....awesome story too.....I agree with all you want to do except relocating the tank....I think that would ruin such a clean stock original truck....jmho......

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

get it running driving and LEAVE IT ALONE

You wanna sell it? my truck should look like that! I LOVE THAT TRUCK! If yuo decide to sell, leme know

Do what blckbueaty said leave stock tank in there too

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
67chevy1series

i agree get it reliable and leave the paint and rims and hubcaps
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
lil hoodlum

I too love it! Don't rush into getting it painted for awhile. Too many horror stories abound about too much money, too much time, and not meeting expectations etc. Just do simple fixes/ upgrades on it first and enjoy it.

If the truck checks out mechanically there is no reason you couldn't use as much as you want to. There are many people on this board who use their trucks as daily drivers. (I'm one of them!)

Again, beautiful truck and great story!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
10.5stang

I wouldn't do anything but make it safe and drive it. Beautiful truck!
Posted via Mobile Device
10.5stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #10
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I agree give it a good bath with CLR and water and enjoy the pantina...people are trying to copy it all the time for a reason!!!.....I would add a set of rallies and make good use of that cruz control.........if you wanted by a used stock booster set up and add that if you think the brakes are not to your liking...I just did it to my drum set up and was amazed how much dif it makes and takes less than an hour to do!!

Sweet truck with a great history....keep it stock with plan to pass it to the next generation

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #11
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

That one's a beauty! One thing I noticed immediately is that the tires are too small. Bigger ones will make it look a lot better. I think you should leave the tank, too. A paint job with original color would set that thing off, and you would still have the memories of it since it would look like it did when you were a kid. I think I'll paint mine in its original color(yellow), plus its less work, too. Great truck!
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #12
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
I too love it! Don't rush into getting it painted for awhile. Too many horror stories abound about too much money, too much time, and not meeting expectations etc. Just do simple fixes/ upgrades on it first and enjoy it.

If the truck checks out mechanically there is no reason you couldn't use as much as you want to. There are many people on this board who use their trucks as daily drivers. (I'm one of them!)

Again, beautiful truck and great story!

Keith
X2 - been through those horror stories myself. Put some tires on it and drive it. Very nice truck with a great history!
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

4.5/6 drop
disc brake upgrade
mechanically check it out

Most important,....

DON'T paint it.
It's beautiful with that original patina.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #14
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Great looking survivor! I would drive it as is till you get a feeling as to what direction you want to go.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 AM   #15
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

That's a sweet truck... You are a lucky man to have something like that given to you. As far as what to do to with it... I would clean it up, put on a set of wheels and tires, update the brakes and maybe the steering and drive it.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #16
spike38

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10-Driver View Post
That's a sweet truck... You are a lucky man to have something like that given to you. As far as what to do to with it... I would clean it up, put on a set of wheels and tires, update the brakes and maybe the steering and drive it.
I agree!!

That way you can enjoy it, With out tearing it completely down.
Then replace one thing at a time.

Spike
spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:49 AM   #17
sanford66

Drive it for a while and see. I would probly upgrade to pow....what am i saying, i drove a 66 Impala SS for a year with no p/b or p/s! Make sure its good to go and drive it for a while!! I'm diggin the original patina. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:57 AM   #18
72shortstep
lovin' the lowcountry

I see my view has been repeated multiple times, just enjoy it until something needs fixing/upgrading. It's much more fun to be able to drive your truck whenever you want to instead of having it sidelined. Awesome truck!

72 SWB stepside
71 SWB stepside

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
72shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #19
rsavage

What a great looking survivor. Congrats.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

This is an awesome story.Thanks for sharing.It's not the first of it's type to be told.something about these trucks are cherished by their original owners.Many a 67/72 truck has been the last truck for it's original owners.
I wouldn't change a thing.With these trucks being such a fad they are being modified to where it's hard to find them original.All the things you want to change had been just fine to your uncle for 43 years.If you must do these changes,I suggest waiting till he's passed on.At least I'd ask his feelings on them.after all,he "gave" it to you.I like to see such original truck kept original.Now,adding the original power brakes would be keeping it '68 original.Just not to this particular truck.It's not like the same thing couldn't have been done before the truck ever left the lot.
The main advise I'd give is sit tight and let it all soak in.Keep checking out this sight and absorbing all the info and options.You will better form your opinion on just how you want the truck.As always,it's your truck to do what you want with in the end.Enjoy that thing!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-15-2010 at 07:11 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
68Stepbed

Welcome to the board from the eastern side! Good to see a fellow Tennesseean. It looks as though the majority speaks. Leave it alone!! The truck and the story is awesome. That truck is so well preserved, I would leave it as is. I don't care much for original stuff, but that truck has survived so well, it deserves to live as it is. I would consider a disc brake upgrade just for safety reasons. Other than that, I wouldn't paint it or relocate the fuel tank.

If the original wheels and hubcaps aren't your style, you can change wheels, but don't ever get rid of the original stuff. Even if you wanted to lower it, I would only do a 2/4 spring drop, and again, keep the originals. Basically, if you make any changes, make sure it's something that can easily be changed back without any modification.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #22
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeens View Post
He bought it new in 1967, well before I was born. I have always been crazy about that truck and always peeked out in the garage it when back in my hometown. My uncle takes great care of his things and has always kept the truck garaged, so it's still in pretty good condition for a 43-year old truck. A few weeks ago, he called and said he had decided to retire the truck out to the barn, and if I wanted it, I could come pick it up. Of course, I said yes.
Now, I am trying to figure out what to do to keep it in good condition. I don't want to drive it every day, but I don't want to let it sit around a deteriorate either. I probably will have it repainted. It still has the original paint job, but it is getting thin and showing patina. Other than the fact that my uncle had the dealer add power steering to it early on, replaced the side windows, and recovered the seat, it's pretty much all stock. The engine is original, but was rebuilt several years ago. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what to do with the truck and what should be restored vs. left alone. The three things I am thinking about right now are (1) repainting, (2) adding front wheel disc brakes, (3) adding shoulder belts, and (4) moving the tank out of the cab. I will put pictures below. Thanks.
Burkeens, first, Congratulations and welcome to the '68 club.
You said that "My uncle takes great care of his things and has always kept the truck garaged".
My first and most important question is: Do you have a garage to keep it in as well? If you don't then I would give serious thought of having it repainted. There's a reason it looks so good for a 43 year old truck, it was kept indoors. The last thing you want to do is leave out in the elements everyday, cause it'll deteriorate twice as fast.
If you don't have a garage, then get a GOOD quality cover and/or one of those "garages" that you can put up in a couple of hours. Either way, do yourself a favor and keep it indoors and out of the weather.
By the way, In my ever so humble opinion, I would upgrade the Belts and mechanicals and the wheels.

And I wouldn't drive it everyday either. I think it's time for it to retire and become a "truck-of-leisure" like mine.
Look around and join a local car club, so you can find the local shows and cruise-ins.

It's a survivor and should be kept in this condition as long as possible.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #23
cleanfreak

Don't paint it. Please don't paint it! check build threads , listen to reply's about " paint jail " , and realize how nice that truck really is. Just my 2 cents.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
rusty baker
'70 C-10 Primer

I would drive as is. Drum brakes have worked fine for 43 years. My 70 still has drums. I would not change anything. That's why these trucks are popular, they were great when they came out of the factory.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #25
faribran

very nice truck... i hope you have shelter for it..