The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2003, 02:19 AM   #1
kballan

Question Interior paint

Have any of you guys done this? Used interior paint for your door panels , kick panels, headliner trim, etc? I heard from quite a few people so far that this is supposed to work well. So, rather than buying new door panels, I opted to go with the paint (I haven't had it done yet though). I got some surface prep stuff as well. The only thing that I'm worried about is the door panels scratching and/or peeling. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how well it works.

ANY MAN CAN BUILD A TRUCK, BUT IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CUT ONE UP!
kballan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

I have painted my console and the some of the trim in my truck. It does scratch off though. I would say to use it on some of trim and parts that don't get bumped a lot. I bought mine from jcwhitney, it looks good but for the door panels I would cough up the $$ and get new ones. my $.02

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #3
82 Silverado 4X
Genuine Chevrolet

The stuff you buy in the rattle cans isn't half as durable as the good stuff that comes in pints and quarts that you spray through a gun. You can get the good stuff through a regular auto paint retailer.
This is how I changed the interior color on my last truck:

Even with the good paint, it wont matter much if you don't do a really good job on the paint prep. I scrubbed mine with soap and water, rinsed then wiped and rinsed again to be sure there was no soap film left. I then allowed it to dry. Then I wiped them down with thinner on a lint free rag. Remember to ask about a surface preparer type primer for the interior dye when buying your interior paint. It bites into the old material and gives the new color a good surface to bond to. Allow the panels to get warm in the sun prior to painting. Spray on 4-5 good coats of the color paint allowing it to tack up between coats then allow them to dry out in the sun.

I even did the steering wheel, column seats and pillars and had no wear through or show of the old color anywhere for three years.
82 Silverado 4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:35 PM   #4
houston6

yeah i beleive 82 Siverado hit the nail on the head.ive used it with great success but i never thought about doing my steering wheel with it ill have to remember that on my next one
Old 07-01-2003, 12:27 AM   #5
littlebubba

Right on

82 Silverado is right on the money with how to do it. I have used the PPG products with excellent results on stuff I want to last and look good!. PPG recommends using thier "conditioner" before the color, then color. Rattle cans is ok for something not important or your not fussy about and gets the job done. So it comes down to you get what you pay for, and if you have the spray equiptment to do it. If not check your local bump shop, see what they would charge to shoot a few pieces. Some guys will do it after hours for a 12 pack, if you buy the supplies.
littlebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:38 PM   #6
kballan

Thanks guys! I didn't get the crap in the rattle can - I paid the extra and went with the stuff for the spray guns! I also got some adhesion promoter for the plastic trim and door panels. Thanks for all the input!

ANY MAN CAN BUILD A TRUCK, BUT IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CUT ONE UP!
kballan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:40 PM   #7
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I have heard talk of Krylon Fusion. Its supposed to be pretty good but still have to see how durable it is. Its a new spray made just for plastic.

I've never used it but here is a link to check it out. Maybe someone can try this out on a test subject and lets us know if it really is good.

Krylon Fusion Link
Old 07-01-2003, 03:53 PM   #8
bagged81
Signals in the bumper.

I used SEM Vinyl and Plastic and Color Spray. You can get it from Eastwood Company for $8 a can. Just search for "sem" on their home page.
Here is the product description:
Quote:
Renew or change the color of your vinyl upholstery and plastic surfaces - permanently. Flexible enough for seats, yet tough enough for vinyl tops. For optimum results and adhesion, use Plastic Prep and Sand Free-Kit on hard plastics, and Vinyl Prep on vinyl. Buy 3 or more and SAVE!
I picked mine up at a local automotive paint store.
1936 Ford Pickup - Frame-off in progress link
1979 Chevrolet Camper Special Flatbed link

Last edited by bagged81; 07-01-2003 at 03:57 PM.
bagged81 is offline   Reply With Quote