The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
scoyote

Carpet faded quickly and badly

I put in a new LMC carpet last summer and I was cleaning it today and when I moved the floor mats the difference was unbelievable.

I'll have to get some photos when I get it in the sun again but the carpet that was in the sun has lost over 1/2 of it's gray color in less than one season.

Anyone else had this problem and is there a solution to get it looking more like it is supposed to look?

I just can't believe a good quality carpet would fade that quickly.....which would lead me to believe the LMC carpets aren't very good quality.

From what I'm seeing anyway.

Is there a restore shampoo or?????

1991 F250 - Hunting truck w/ Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front and rear winches .... and more....
1997 Grand Cherokee - fun jeep - Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front winch, 411 gears, lots of lights ;-)
2004 Hot Rod DuraMax - Dnyo'd at the wheels with 525 HP and 1100 lbs torque.....mustang killer.
scoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
JMac11

Re: Carpet faded quickly and badly

Not sure of the make, but my tan carpet/might have been almost orange was zapped by the sun. I mixed RIT black dye in a pump up sprayer and soaked it, it has held up for a few years.
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
bigeasycigars

Ditto here!
I used Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Coating. Worked fine on carpet. Sprayed my visors mirror cover, door panels, etc. as well. Might be worth a try. My carpet went from brown back to black. Aired out in a day as well. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoyote View Post
I just can't believe a good quality carpet would fade that quickly.....which would lead me to believe the LMC carpets aren't very good quality.
1st let me say: Awesome Blazer!

Good quality and LMC don't fit in the same sentence. My experience has proven to me that if they sell it the quality is pretty much sub-par.

That being said, seeing how we are both from Colorado, tinting windows and using windshield screens is about the only way to keep interiors nice. A you know the sun is intense here! You need SPF-90 windows .

I have "take out" carpet from a factory GM late 90's truck in my 65 and it too is faded. My windows aren't tinted.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-02-2011 at 09:23 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
brandy hickman

Ok, so who has the best carpet for sale if LMC is not quality stuff ??
Posted via Mobile Device
brandy hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
pound41

This was several years back. When I restored my 69 camaro's new dark olive carpet the same color as my blazers only made it a year before an autumn gold spot appeared on the hump behind the seat. The guy who supplied my parts was someone some what local and someone who never lead me astray on any of my other purchases. I called him and he apoligized but said there aren't any great carpet choices out there
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
robs71k5
K5drive

Smile Re: Carpet faded quickly and badly

I'm looking to purchace a new carppet and thinking this would be the best place to get any helpful info but I have to agree since I started looking I found there are almost no perfect carpets .All this talk got me thinking .Has anyone tried spraying the carpet with a scotch guard . It may lock out u.v rays as well as protecting. Just a thought I got some sample carpet pieces from a place on ebay auctions and thy look like actual orig 60/40 loop and the colour is very close .The only thing left is the fit . Anyone ???
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Gotta love the internet!

Sun Armor UV Protectant states that it will protect carpet against UVA & UVB. Supposedly widely used in the boating industry.

http://blueberrycleaning.com/sunarmo...otectuion.html
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Dave
DND Trucks

I've used ACC Auto Custom Carpet in the past and have had no issues over the years, however I have to agree with previous statements of UV protection, it sure can't hurt.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote