The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
daytonagp4

New Window Channel kit HELP!!

I was curious if any of you had this problem.....i put in the new felts today the whole channel kit. When i got the windows back together and in they are tight, not like "ya dawg" like i can barley roll the window all the way up!!! Have any of you had this problem? Is there anything i can do to loosen them a little? thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
87fleetsidedude

Re: New Window Channel kit HELP!!

I have the same problem with my 87, not only was it a pain to install but when I got them done my windows won't roll up by themselves I have to push on them to get them all the way up. I sprayed some Wd40 on the joints and down the channel and it helped a little bit, but there is still about an inch when I have to push on the window.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
RWilliamsGa

Same problem on my sons 88 dually it is LMC weatherstripping I have been less than thrilled with everything we got from LMC;
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Blue Chevy 1987

hmm glad i read this. i was about to order new weatherstripping for my truck from lmc. try rubbing some vasilene in the tracks
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
RWilliamsGa

It seems like I would learn about taking the cheap a$%% way out . I looked on Steeles web site and if I looked right there rubber was not a whole lot higher 20 to 25 bucks a door and I am fairly sure it would be better stuff.My son is a tight a$$$ just like me LOL a chip off the old block my advice spend a little more you will not regret it imo.

Last edited by RWilliamsGa; 01-31-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
daytonagp4

I bought mine from Classicparts.com. And i didn't pay out the a$$ for them but they were not that cheap......glad im not the only one with this problem.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
RWilliamsGa

If the truth be known same company most likely makes them everybody just puts them in their own bag.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

yes mine were so old and hard they cracked all up when i tooks them out to paint the jambs, ive been dealing with ALOT of windnoise ever since. never bought them new because i had heard of this problem, was gonna try the rubber weatherstripping that goes around the door for the houses if i could find it in black and not white or gray. i have some thin strips of metal, about 3/4" wide i was going to rivet in there to have a stable and straight place to stick the stuff. theres no point in wasting anymore time in the junkyards trying to get a decent pair, just wont happen around here i guess, its been over 6 mos now.
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

Old 02-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Do the model year of the windows match the model year of the felts you bought. Only time I've seen the felts be that tight is when you have 81-87 felts with 73-80 glass. The older glass is too thick to fit in the newer felts.

Top cross section is 73-80 Felts
Bottom Cross section is 81-87 felts

They don't mix and match.

If that's not the problem, use precision brand. it's common and the set I got fit perfectly with no whistles and I can manualy roll the windows up with my thumb and pointer finger.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 02-02-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
daytonagp4

I thought i bought year specific.....but who's to say my doors have not been replaced? How can i tell what year it is?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
RWilliamsGa

Truck is an 88 model dually which is same as 87 back. He ordered the felt by the info I gave him the rear door I have done works great . The glass could have replaced I guess but did not appear to have been messed with.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
lilpoindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonagp4 View Post
I bought mine from Classicparts.com. And i didn't pay out the a$$ for them but they were not that cheap......glad im not the only one with this problem.
DAMN...I was about to buy the whole kit from classicparts...all the rubbers around my doors and windows are so bad that there is less wind noise when i roll the windows down
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
JMac11

Hmmm this makes me wonder.... I was thinking my window motors were bad
Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonagp4 View Post
I thought i bought year specific.....but who's to say my doors have not been replaced? How can i tell what year it is?
Do you happen to still have the old felts? They may be crappy, but if the window rolled up and down freely in them you can compare them to the new one, using my pic above as a guide.

Otherwise, the way to tell is to measure the glass thickness. I don't know what the measurments are for any of the glass though.

I found out about my problem, because I have 73-80 (thick glass) and I bought the 81-87 seals because they were one piece, thinking there was no difference. Well the windows were way too tight and never loosened up so i just ordered the proper set one day not even knowing if there was a difference... big difference...
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
daytonagp4

Well that HAS to be the problem.....

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
Blue Chevy 1987

What all does the kit your selling come with? Classicparts.com is bout half price to lmc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
daytonagp4

No felts, just the channel all the way around, and before i get rid of them and get new ones.......if i were to replace the glass then it would work? Can i switch door glass from 73-80 to 81-87 will that work? The reason i ask instead of changing felts is because i wanna tint my windows when the truck is done and the glas i have now has to many scratches in it to tint. It would look like crap.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
daytonagp4

Well just ordered a new kit, 72-80 lol hopfully it will work.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #19
daytonagp4

well guess what.......put the new felt in and ................................WINDOW ROLLS UP!!!! lol it's amazing when you order the correct part.

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.
Closed Thread