The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
dagwood

How do you know it's time to give in on your truck

i have a 72 c-10 with a 6 cylinder engine and 4 speed manual transmission. this truck is in horrible condition, from lack of proper maintenance over the last 10 years which included being abandoned by a previous owner after a attempt was made to make some kind of rat rod. Basically what is not broke is rusted. i got new doors and fenders for it. Have a chance to get new cab corners roof panel and drip rail to replace the rusted ones. So far, i been able to keep the cost of repairs low. But it seems like when one thing gets fixed something else breaks. i've thought about giving up on it. But what stops me is mainly 2 things. i've always wanted a 72 chevy truck. The second, is knowing that no matter how bad this truck is. i really can't make it worse. but at the same time, i know it may never been road worthy. May i ask what would you do?
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
67chevy1series

Re: How do you know it's time to give in on your truck

i would hold onto it! hang in there man it is tuff but you will get it and only feel more better about th truck more work equals more respect for it!!!!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
pryorstemmed
4wd Enthusiast

Keep it. Set up a to do list, keep focused on small battles/projects, and take it one step at a time. Eventually you will see progress and be proud of it.
*1970 Olds 442 W-30 M-21 4-speed
*1978 Ford F250 4x4 Ranger-Explorer-Camper Special Marti Report: 1 of 1
*1986 K30 Silverado Crew Cab 502/TH400
*2002 Silverado LT 2500 Duramax Long bed Crew Cab 4x4 107K original miles
*2022 RAM Bighorn 1500 Waldoch edition ...Daily Driver
pryorstemmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #4

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you might consider finding another cab at the minimum. There is one in the central valley for $350.
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
chopped68

Talking Re: How do you know it's time to give in on your truck

keep it and fix it! those of us who like old cars and trucks usually have to fix the neglect from the previous owners. i look at it as we are rescuing good vehicle from someone who should have never bought it in the first place. it can be frustrating at first but you'll get to a point and say to yourself "i am glad i kept it"
chopped68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
BadaSs_Cal

have fun with it.. if you dont have to use it as a DD.. let it it be an "extra time project." Sometimes it will sit for a week... sometimes you will be out every night doing little things to it.. its the nature of the game.. Hang in there buddy!

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Jeffs70

I have been working on my truck for the past 7 Years and I some times wish I would have quit and got me something thats already finished. but the more I look at my truck its getting closer and closer every day to being finished all because I did all the work. I sometimes stand there just to look at my truck and think to my self wow what a hell of a job I have done on things. and am Proud of what I did learn and accomplish from it. If I didnt learn anything and do anything that has pleased me on this project then I probably would have dumped it but all this time and money and effort has made me get a lot done and more skills as I go and more pleased with it all. I think right now I would hate my self if I got rid of my truck. It has become a huge part of me now with all this stuff I Have done and I dont care now how much time I have put into it but its all sentiment now. Its really up to what you feel and if you want to take the time to do something as this project. also think to your self, are you going to be able to find you something better out there. if so then maybe thats what you need to do if your heart isnt into this one. or maybe wait and hold it for a bit until you can find a better 72 with less problems and use what you have now as the donor for bits and pieces.
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
steelscout
Words under my name

Another good reason to not give in , is actually a thread atm....heres the link

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=445251

Last edited by steelscout; 02-08-2011 at 06:55 AM.
steelscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
DANTIP

Sometimes it's best to think about your truck as an asset. Parting out one truck while looking for a great deal on another truck may turn out to be the best possible solution. There are smokin' deals out there.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
LilD

Dont give up on it! These trucks by todays tech are simple to work on. I gave up on my 94 GMC because every time something went wrong it was expensive and time consuming, alot of times requiring a shop to hook it up to a scanner to chase down what sensor or other "gadget" was broken. Ive had some minor issues with my 70 but I was able to fix it all myself with hand tools.
LilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Shyguy

I have thought often lately about giving up my '71. Since it does not cost me anything to keep it, I guess I will just keep it for now. I enjoy driving it now and then.

It is in daily driver condition and at one time I thought about restoring it, but for some reason have lost the urge. I have a '67 that is in worse shape that I hope to start working on on this year when the weather permits. The reason I have chosen to work on the '67 is my son and I put it together from a bunch of different trucks one summer, I'll never get ride of the '67.

My problem is like a lot of others, just too many projects with too little time or money.

My son has built quite few of these trucks and sold some of them. When he gets a truck he makes up a list of things it needs and starts collecting parts, then he comes up with a check-list and starts working on the truck. He takes one area at a time so he does not get side tracked. He says he usually likes to start with the cab first since it usually the most intense part of a build for him.

I think the longest time he as ever worked on a truck is two years and that was to restore his wife's grandpa's truck. She got it when her grandpa passed. It was in very sad shape and had more rust than most people would have tackled.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
71veronica

Dagwood .post a few pics of it. Keep it!!
Posted via Mobile Device
71veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
i have a 72 c-10 with a 6 cylinder engine and 4 speed manual transmission. this truck is in horrible condition, from lack of proper maintenance over the last 10 years which included being abandoned by a previous owner after a attempt was made to make some kind of rat rod. Basically what is not broke is rusted. i got new doors and fenders for it. Have a chance to get new cab corners roof panel and drip rail to replace the rusted ones. So far, i been able to keep the cost of repairs low. But it seems like when one thing gets fixed something else breaks. i've thought about giving up on it. But what stops me is mainly 2 things. i've always wanted a 72 chevy truck. The second, is knowing that no matter how bad this truck is. i really can't make it worse. but at the same time, i know it may never been road worthy. May i ask what would you do?

I guess I'm going to be the bad guy here. I have fixed up a lot of these trucks and being from Iowa I certainly know what you are dealing with. If the cab corners are gone, rockers and cab supports probably are too. Roof needs patched, drip rail needs replaced and you will find more after you get into it. Some of those areas are major work to repair. It's easy for the guys that have never done this type of work to set back and say fix it but if they were in your shoes I bet they would be asking the same questions you are right now. If the cab is as bad as you say it is, I would not attempt to fix it. At the minimum you would need a welder, air compressor, set of body tools, misc. air tools, and the normal assortment of hand tools. Unless you have someone with some experience who will give you a hand with the repairs it would be cost prohibitive to hire that much work done. As member 5150.4.67 said, find another cab. If you want to practice start out with the fenders or old doors or some other parts that you could use or sell after you fixed them up and see how they turn out.

Just my 2¢ worth...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
ZombieWeinerDog

ok, heres what i started out with, it was much worse than what it looks like. ill just say, by the time it came out of the body shop, the only original panel on it was the bed, the drivers door, the front bumper. parts of the cab were cut and new pieces welded in, cab corners were completely destroyed, wheel wells,body panels, destroyed. hood was stored inside, but an attempt to sandblast it obviously warped it. i have a better picture, but i dont know where it is.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
BadaSs_Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieWeinerDog View Post
ok, heres what i started out with, it was much worse than what it looks like. ill just say, by the time it came out of the body shop, the only original panel on it was the bed, the drivers door, the front bumper. parts of the cab were cut and new pieces welded in, cab corners were completely destroyed, wheel wells,body panels, destroyed. hood was stored inside, but an attempt to sandblast it obviously warped it. i have a better picture, but i dont know where it is.
So you converted it to a planter? lol. jk.

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #16
Bennett68C10

I say keep it and work on it a little at a time. When you get frustrated with it walk away until your head is clear. This is what i did with my truck. My trucks cab needed rockers, cab corners, cab mounts and parts of the floor to be replaced. Other people would have just looked for another cab but I told myself this is what i got so fix it. I have been working on my truck for over a year now and I still have some work to do on the cab and believe me I had many of nights where I asked myself will I ever finish this truck hence the name of my build tread "What was I Thinking", but now atleast it looks like I have accomplished something with the frame being almost done and looking sweet. Hang in there things will get better and you will be proud you hung onto it when you finish it.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

A lot depends on your budget. Seeing that you are in Cali there is plenty of good sheetmetal within a short drive. Consider finding another truck and swapping over the good parts from yours and then selling the rest to recoup some of your investment.
I've seen craigslist ads where people are practically giving away rust free long beds...
Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
A lot depends on your budget. Seeing that you are in Cali there is plenty of good sheetmetal within a short drive. Consider finding another truck and swapping over the good parts from yours and then selling the rest to recoup some of your investment.
I've seen craigslist ads where people are practically giving away rust free long beds...

I have to agree with VA72C10.
Being in the same boat as you I was about to give up after having my truck 12 years that I inherieted. My truck was a daily driver going to the shipyard in the LBC everyday when my uncle had it, so I have rust in some of the same areas as you do.
Last year just when I was about to give up, I found what I needed at the time, a cheap and reasonable running motor.

Were all on a budget, and the other thing I found, on this site was a cab for 100.00, which if you see my cab you'll know why it was the most important part that I needed. Other than some seam sealer and a patch panel, its in so much better condition that what I have now. Hang in there, check Craigslist, and hit up the for sale page on this site.
The guys and gals here will help you out.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I know your in Cali, but fyi, here in Texas you can find this...
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/pts/2189077044.html

You really need to do whatever it is you want to do... good luck!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #20
(joey)

its never too far gone.sheet metal is cheap and welding,fabing,and customizing in rewarding in the end.by the time im done with my cab i have pretty much built a new one.and its a blast.check out my build thread in my signature to see what i mean.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #21
Roadmarks

Hey, I bought my '71 C10 last year on the 2nd of March over 100 miles from home! The seller lied about every detail I can think of. There was really BAD stuff in the steering, brakes, and wiring, plus all the typical rust, dirt, and lack of maintenance. Unknowing, I drove it over a hundred miles over public highways! I am lucky that something catastrophic didn't happen. If all goes well, It goes back on the street full time next month! I have done all the work myself. If I can fix this pig, YOU can fix ANYTHING! Stick with it, I think it will really mean something to you! Plus, you get to learn some interesting new words!
Roadmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #22
no moa

I'd keep going at a slow pace. And I agree, you are very lucky to be in ca, try being up here in Maine, I can't find good rust free parts within a 2 day drive unless I buy new repos.
Good luck to you what ever you choose
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
dagwood

Thank you for allowing me to ask your thoughts. the way i look at it, the current condition of the chevy. i'm trying to avoid spending a whole lot on it. i believe the cab can be rebuilt. i seen the patch panels that will be bought soon, look like there good quaility. i believe they was bought from a company called, brothers. but i'm not exactly sure. i'm hoping to be able to find a hood for it. mine is pretty much shot.
i do have ideas for the chevy. For example, 4x4 conversion with the proper frame, v-8 engine, normal odds and ends. but i'm learning more towards keeping the 6 cylinder 2 wheel drive, keeping it simple.
thank you..i will continue to make repairs.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #24
ItsRandy

I have owned my truck 27 years, I would never think of giving up. In the last couple of days I asked for advice for a different problem...I can't stop rebuilding/refinishing things. The members of this board have given great advice, but in the end you have to decide what you are willing to do to enjoy something you have always wanted. Remember: If it isn't fun, it isn't worth it!
Posted via Mobile Device
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Even though I used to drive this one, here's what it is except it's now in my sons' garage. It's bonding material. He wants to work on it, so that's what matters. I'll get to drive it again. But, when it looks like this, it makes you wonder why we bother to try....then, the next pic is inspiration.
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote