The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
emil77

Safe to install new radio speakers?

Hi guys,

I need to put a stereo in my truck. I unscrewed the door speakers and they just fell out, there is no wiring to them. Also, is it safe to install the door speakers? I notice that the drain holes are right behind them and that any type of water, rain or car wash will go down into the door. Won't this cause the speakers to short out?

If not...how do I go about wiring the speakers? Do I have to feed the wires thru the door somehow?

emil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
dan42

Re: Safe to install new radio speakers?

Yes you do have to feed the wire thru the door, and yes the speakers can get wet. You can buy guards so that the water drains around the speakers but you might consider waterproof cones.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
AirSpeed

I mounted a pair of speaks in my doors, (the holes were already there) and I used the bottom half of a couple antifreeze jugs to cover the speakers, I just measured the depth of the door, cut the jugs about 1/4" deeper so they would stay in place, then I ran a bead of silicone around the top half only to prevent water from running in, I left the bottom half without sealer so any water that may get in could drain out. Not only does it protect your speakers it makes them sound better. Since this alignment creates a somewhat sealed chamber I also filled the area in the jugs with some acoustic foam, this makes the "box" react as though it's bigger and will improve the lower end. It's free and easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
big mike71

Since your doors are already cut I would cut them more and put in 6x9s. They will sound alot better for not much more.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
emil77

Thanks for the info guys. What size do I have now? Can you guys tell by the holes? As for upgrading to 6x9's, aren't 6x9's more of a rectangle shape vs the circle I currently have? I would have to cut alot more of the door?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil77 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. What size do I have now? Can you guys tell by the holes? As for upgrading to 6x9's, aren't 6x9's more of a rectangle shape vs the circle I currently have? I would have to cut alot more of the door?
To be honest your not going to gain an incredible increase in output with 6X9s, it would be a small improvement. you would have to make the hole larger, an oval shape. It appears you have a six inch hole now, all you have to do is measure the diameter with a tape measure. Are these going to be your primary drivers or are you going to add some subs? If you're adding subs I wouldn't bother going with 6X9s, you will get plenty of midrange and highs out of a decent pair of coax 6" drivers. If you want to get a goid deal on some nice speakers go to a website called "partsexpress", they have excellent deals on all sorts of speakers. Mist speakers, no matter what brand are built by contractors, these contractors build many name brand speakers in the same plant, they may build pioneer and kenwood drivers right next to each other and place the customers name on the speakers.
If you go to partsexpress look a their house brand which is "DAYTON", many of the Dayton brands are clines of ScanSpeak speakers which are some of the absolute best quality drivers on the planet. these are built right next to many name brand speakers and are half the price! You could also check out the "Vifa" brand, they are excellent quality and a fair price. I would avoid brands like Pyle as they actually are a pile! I build some very high quality cabinets, mostly home stereo speaker cabinets that sell for several thousand dollars, but I have years and years of experience building and
working with speakers and designing and building the crossovers as well. If you need any help let me know, I can give you some ideas on what will make your tunes sound very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
emil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
To be honest your not going to gain an incredible increase in output with 6X9s, it would be a small improvement. you would have to make the hole larger, an oval shape. It appears you have a six inch hole now, all you have to do is measure the diameter with a tape measure. Are these going to be your primary drivers or are you going to add some subs? If you're adding subs I wouldn't bother going with 6X9s, you will get plenty of midrange and highs out of a decent pair of coax 6" drivers. If you want to get a goid deal on some nice speakers go to a website called "partsexpress", they have excellent deals on all sorts of speakers. Mist speakers, no matter what brand are built by contractors, these contractors build many name brand speakers in the same plant, they may build pioneer and kenwood drivers right next to each other and place the customers name on the speakers.
If you go to partsexpress look a their house brand which is "DAYTON", many of the Dayton brands are clines of ScanSpeak speakers which are some of the absolute best quality drivers on the planet. these are built right next to many name brand speakers and are half the price! You could also check out the "Vifa" brand, they are excellent quality and a fair price. I would avoid brands like Pyle as they actually are a pile! I build some very high quality cabinets, mostly home stereo speaker cabinets that sell for several thousand dollars, but I have years and years of experience building and
working with speakers and designing and building the crossovers as well. If you need any help let me know, I can give you some ideas on what will make your tunes sound very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Great info, thank you! I don't need a high end system, the C20 isn't my daily driver, just my toy on the weekends, etc. I just need some tunes because playing pandora on my phone is getting old!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
dmack91

I used to just put a plastic bag over the back of the speakers when putting them in the door. Attached the speaker mounting screws through the bag and then trimmed off the excess before putting the cover back on.

Cheap and easy way to keep water off the back of the speaker.

Yours looks like holes for a 6.5" speaker. Most places carry them (Walmart has several for $40-80/pr. I put a set of Sony Xplodes in mine and they sound fine for $40.

Walmart has a Dual brand AM/FM/CD/MP# for $50. Did that and two sets of speakers I had laying around. Didn't want to spend a fortune on something that could be stolen. Works fine. Put 2 6x9s under the seat and two 6.5s in a small triangular box attached to the front of the seat with a cupholder on top. Sounds great to me (between being half deaf and all the cab noise anyway).
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil77 View Post
I just need some tunes because playing pandora on my phone is getting old!
OMG...I thought I was the only one that did that! My Truck came without a Stereo, and although it isn't my Daily Driver, the "Hum" of the Engine can only take you so far. So I loaded up "Slacker Radio" on my Black Berry, and would set it in the Center console. Only problem with THAT was the Truck was so loud, I could barely hear my Black Berry.
On top of that, we lived up in the "Boonies" with a signal of 1 Bar (if I was lucky).
So now its been 2 years without a Radio, but I bought, Aftermarket Kick Panels, Speakers, Head Unit, and my Son is installing it for me. My last Truck had speakers in the Door, and they worked, but having the sound that "Low" in the Truck, I had to CRANK IT UP, and it didn't sound good. I decided to leave my Doors intact on this Truck. The 1 thing I DID do differently THIS time, was to buy an Aftermarket replacement speaker for the Dash.
It actually bolts into the same spot (with no Modifications) and contains 2 speakers with giant magnets, that can take the Mids/Highs up to 80 Watts.
Since I'm running just an Alpine Head Unit with no External Amps along with 5 1/4" speakers in the Kick Panels, it should provide a nice Balance without overpowering anything.

Here's a link for the Dash Speaker:
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=UDDSA00
Attached Images

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
big mike71

From the looks of the holes they are to close to edge of the door to do 6x9s. I have 6 1/4sony explodes in a center console and 6x9s in boxes behind the seat. I think it sounds good.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
emil77

Thanks guys, keep the info coming!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
1quik70

I had 6x9's in my old 70 CST and they sounded fine. When I decided to put tunes in the new rig, I decided to ask some questions of the audio gurus. They recommended going with a 6" in the door for sound quality, and they were right! The music is soo much more crisp.

For the guys with smart phones, I bought a Sony Xplode head unit with bluetooth. You wanna talk about the greatest thing since sliced bread!!! My pickup had the factory radio still in place, and it was in really good shape. I didn't want to cut my dash, I put the stereo in the glove box. With the bluetooth connectivity, I never have to touch it. Hit play on the ol iPhone, and adjust the volume with the volume buttons on the phone. Great crystal clean tunes, with the factory look!
1quik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
emil77

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
Dunenutt
Newbee

try these, seem to work fine for me,

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT65...search=baffles
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
emil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
try these, seem to work fine for me,

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT65...search=baffles
Those are great! Thanks.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #16
MikeyMan

I used the baffles in my leaky truck doors. Worked fine.
Purchased them many, many years ago at Warshawsky's in Chicago.
Now goes by the name J.C. Whitney & Co.
I need a new set for my current project.
Thanks for the Crutchfield link!
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
Dunenutt
Newbee

Glad I could help.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote