The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
bdmcgee

Question Help!!!!!

Does anyone know the CORRECT starter for a 1969 GMC, 402 bb? Long story short; I think they keep giving me the wrong starter. The cone just isn't long enough. No matter how much a shim it, it doesn't engage the flywheel enough. I keep eating up the bendix in the starters and the nose cone broke once (may be a separate issue.) I pulled the inspection cover tonight and the teeth aren’t being engaged enough – only about halfway. I DO need a new flywheel as well, but the wear & chips was only on the front half of the teeth. . . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry
(bd)

bdmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: Help!!!!!

Sending you off to the engine folks...

BTW...thought the 402's started in 1970.
Maybe they are sending you home the wrong starter?

Last edited by ETsC10; 06-18-2011 at 01:47 AM.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Does your starter mount to a pad on the block or does it mount to the bellhousing? If it mounts on the block, there are other over-the-counter starter options that don't use a nose on the bendix (ie: Nippon-Denso/Hitachi style)...I can get you part numbers.

A chewed up flywheel/flexplate will cause all kinds of problems like this.

Not that it matters much, but shouldn't a '69 have a 396 BB?
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 06-18-2011 at 02:17 AM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

If you have a 168 t flexplate,(14" diam) you need a staggerd pattrern on the starter(153 t flexplate takes a straight across pattern on the starter(the flexplate is 12 3/4" OD). It is not uncommon, to see 4 or5 shims under the outside corner of the starter to "bring it in". Take the shank of an 1/8" drill bit, & slide it tween the shaft on the starter, & the od on the tooth on the flexplate....it should fit like a feeler guage(not loose, but not tight). If its loose, you shim under the outside bolt only.....if its tight, you shim under both bolts, till you get the proper "feel"....anything else you need to know, just ask. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

More info needed:

Stick or automatic?

Did the old one work properly? If so, where is it?
I always hold onto the old starter when making a change, at least until I am sure that it is going to work. On several occasions I have swapped the old nose-cone onto the new starter.....

It seems as though you are more concerned about tooth engagement from front to rear (as opposed to "clash"). This is not really an "adjustment" thing. Did you compare the new one to the old?

BTW, even though Pre-70 BBs were "technically" 396s, weren't they all called 400 when installed in a truck?

This is what has spawned one of my favorite pet -peeves, the term "small-block 400" drives me nuts. It's an unnecessary detail, since there really is no such thing as a big-block 400. Guys don't go around quoting that they have a "small-block 327".....because everybody already knows that it's a small-block....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
bdmcgee

Thumbs up Re: Help!!!!!

Thanks for the replies guys. . . I’m going to replace the flywheel this weekend, but I have to make certain I figure out this stinking starter first!

It’s a TH 400 (to answer that question.) And while I’ve read in magazines that the “402” started in 70, the block casting numbers confirm it’s a 402. My research showed that GM put the 402’s in them for several years, but still labeled them a 396.

We’ve been working on it for 4 years now and though a project is never truly done (LOL) it’s pretty close. The ‘starter’ issue has been a pain in the rear since day one. I just pulled the inspection plate for the first time yesterday and saw the flywheel wasn’t in great shape (as mentioned above.)

My son and I have been learning as we go on this . . It’s been a blast, though challenging for us since we’re just novices at it. We’ve done everything ourselves; from wiring, to new oak bed, to the entire interior. . . The only thing I ‘paid’ to have done was the paint and I had the local glass guy replace the windshield for me. It’s the original motor & transmission and has all of its original steel minus the rear bumper (good chrome, small dent) and hood (I put a small cowl hood on her.) I still have both the original bumper and hood though if anyone needs one.

Any and all tips on getting this starter dialed in correctly would be appreciated! Again, thanks for the help!
Jerry

bdmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote