The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #1
chevykid1969

Help! where the He!! do i mount my Solenoids

I Just got my pop door kit from A-1 electric. Looks like a pretty good kit. I opened the solenoid box and the things are huge. Where am i going to mount them so they pull the latch, it looks like the window reg. and window will get in the way. Also where should i mount the poppers to get the best "pop". Thanks for all of your help i dont know how i could get things done without this board. As always pictures would be Great. LOL

Anybody know how long this install will take. I am hoping to get it done before i go back to school next week.
chevykid1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
chevykid1969

ttt
Old 07-30-2003, 09:38 PM   #3
slogo

If you have shaved your door handles go ahead and take out the door hardware so you can get to everything. you can eliminate the part that locks just take a drill and drill out the rivit and toss it you want need it any more. drill a 3/16 in hole in the lever that rotates down and you can put your cable there with the hardware supplied with kit. place the solenoid in the end of the door near the bottom right under the door latch. it is very important to make sure your door opens and closes without any dragging so not too put any stress on your solenoids. you can place your poppers where the rubber bump stop is now, just drill out the hole to match. you will have too do a little forming on the edges of the poppers for best fit. hope this helps good luck
slogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
nosto
Flamin' Bass

slogo describes pretty much how I did my A1 setup. I couldn't drill that latch (broke 2 drill bits!), so I welded a small washer for the cable.

At first, this location worked real good; popped open every time, until I aligned my doors and glued up a new door gasket. Now there's so much outward pressure on the door that the (35lb)solenoid cannot release the latch. When I shut the doors, I have to really slam them to get them to close all the way.

To open them from the outside, what I do now is press the key fob switch, and give the door a slight push inward (during the 3 seconds the solenoid is activated) and it releases OK.

I didn't install the poppers; seemed that it would only make things worse with MORE outward pressure. The door does open OK without them.

I'm serously considering moving the solenoid toward the center of the door, down low, and adding an 'L' shaped lever for greater mechanical advantage. Board member 'XXL' has posted a diagram of this several times, looks like a good idea.

Hey, this is all just an experiment anyhow....

Pics : http://community.webshots.com/user/nosto53

1972 Triumph TR6 - full resto, now with a Toyota 5-speed
1975 F**D F-100 - rusty, but reliable
1982 HD XLH-1000
1967 C-10, shortstep, 350/M21 4spd, nitrogen tank fills fast bags on 4 corners, Toyo 255/45X20s on American Eagle 221 20X8s, shaved locks and handles, antenna, fuel filler, tiny C-notch, rear fuel tank, long headers, Edelbrock, worn 600 Holley, Checkmate flush hard cover, rear pan, custom LED taillights - painted it, too! But don't like it so I'm gonna do it again!!
nosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
chevykid1969

Thank you so much.