The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
J.Cagle

Rust above windshield??

How many of you guys have fixed the rusted out area that most of these trucks have above the windshileds on the inside of the cab? Looking at buying a '70 that only needs rockers other wise. It kinda scared me away at first when I noticed the rust up there. Is it worth fixing, or is it a nightmare? btw, I do paint and body work, and can do rust repair. Thanks, Jared
J.Cagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
bcutt

Re: Rust above windshield??

Wasn't too bad for me, of course I was replacing my outer roof skin as well and even flipped the cab up on its back to make the job easier. I don't have any pictures of it all smoothed out but you get the idea. The other patches you see welded in are ones I had to make to repair rust along the top of the inside door frame. It's a lot of work yes, but from the factory they did no rustproofing up there so I actually liked dissecting my roof and doing it right
Attached Images

72 C10 SWB "Work in Progress"
bcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
bcutt

Here are a couple more after a coat of Epoxy Primer followed by some sound deadening and then a coat of Heavy Duty Anti Rust from Eastwood (body wax).
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
J.Cagle

that does look like alot of work! Hmm, original plan was to drive this truck while I repaired it( if I buy it) Removing the outter skin would make that job alot easier. Unfortunately I wouldnt be doing that. Where did you get that repair panel from? Is it an actual replacement panle or one of the "slip on" things some places sell?
J.Cagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
bcutt

Removing the outer skin is not necessary but I had to do it anyway so it did make it easier, also flipping the cab up on its back was a big help. If you would be doing this repair while the cab was still bolted to the frame it would be a little more tricky as all welding and fitting would need to be done over head. And yes this is an actual replacement panel that I butt welded in place, it fit pretty well and ran me $75 i believe, here is a link.

http://www.classicparts.com/1969-72-...ctinfo/44-187/

Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
bigsnookmaster

I've done the complete top of the cab replacement before with no problems. I cut it at the posts, and replaced the whole top. It was alot easier than all the over head welding. I can do one in a day, other than the bondo and finish work. If you do it this way, when the top is off, tack weld thin sheetmetal strips inside the rear posts. This acts as a guide for the new top, and is filler in case of gaps. Make sure to measure and write down all the door and window opening measurements, to make sure everything is right after trial fitting. Good luck
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote