The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
trev1

Chevy Head Question

It's been a long time since I posted last. Due to the tornado in Joplin I have been incredibly busy. I have a set of 193 chevy heads and cant figure which intake fits them. They have six bolts per side and the center bolts are angled differently. Anyone out there using these heads? Which intake are you using?
trev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Re: Chevy Head Question

read about these and their good low end power, pretty sure the edelbrock performer series makes one to fit but you have to specify the 72 degree center bolt holes when ordering to receive the correct intake
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

a quick google search seems to point to the heads are decent for low end torque, not worth dropping much money into.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
trev1

Hey thanks forthe info. I got the heads RIGHT 100.00 for the set. Valve job,springs guides etc..... Lookin for good torque from the engine. going on a 10/20 4bolt 350 bored .040 over,flat top pistons, 292 grind earson cam 480 lift 108* duration. A833 O/D trans(.73 to 1 in O/D) 3.73 rearend. Should be real fun to drive.!!!! The 72 degree looks right. I lost all the pics when the computer crashed last month.

Thank You

Trevor SWMO
Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

nice, post a video when you're done and she's running
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
stroked69

292 grind, one of the best there is for the sbc IMO.
stroked69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
BIGKEV

I don't want to sound like a downer, but that cam work WAY out of the power range of those heads. Right around the time that cam comes in those heads fall off.
BIGKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
trev1

Thanks, but were not lookin for a screamin engine, just one that has good torque, and pulls good. If the cam is too much i can always switch it out. the springs are good to +.50 lift. Engine shop said the cam would b a good one for that reason. We dont plan on goin past 5800 rpm with the motor. Ill post pics soon. We r puting on the rockers today and hanging the front clip for fit and will block sand it for paint disasimble it and paint it within a week or so, if things go good. It's one of those things, we did alot of rust repair on the door posts, hopefully the rockers fit good. i rebuilt them and did'nt buy the patch panells. measured fifteen times and then took a educated guess! Oh it's a 69 chevy cst big block truck, originally. Goin to paint it light olive green.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

If it's based on the Comp Cams Magnum 292H grind... you'll need to run a stall converter, headers, and other go fast stuff. It's a pretty snotty street cam. That cam likes RPM's.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
trev1

We got an new process A833 4 speed o/d trans with a 15 in clutch. Set of long tube heders, 3.73 rearend. With this cam the engine should pull REAL STRONG up to 6000 rpm. But we do not plan to rev the engine past that. The heads should run out of steam around 6000rpm so there is no need to have heads that go past that. Holly 700 Double Pumper jetted 72 primary and 77 secondary. More than enough to run this. Will probally have to re-jet it though might be too big, we will se.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
BIGKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev1 View Post
We got an new process A833 4 speed o/d trans with a 15 in clutch. Set of long tube heders, 3.73 rearend. With this cam the engine should pull REAL STRONG up to 6000 rpm. But we do not plan to rev the engine past that. The heads should run out of steam around 6000rpm so there is no need to have heads that go past that. Holly 700 Double Pumper jetted 72 primary and 77 secondary. More than enough to run this. Will probally have to re-jet it though might be too big, we will se.
W/O extensive work those heads stop pulling at about 3500 rpm. The carb is about 100-125 cfm to big. Even if you jet it down you'll be pulling too much air and cause a venturi effect. I've been building engines for years, and hate to see someone put together a combo that will be nothing but a headache. In the end it's your choice, but IMHO your parts are WAY mismatched.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
trev1

Thanks Bigkev, we will se. I was given the carb. We rebuilt it, and are going to give it a try. The heads are certinally not the best out there,but definately not the 906's. They dont have the hardened seats that totally kill the flow. Its all a give and take. My pocket book quit giving, so I took the freebie stuff. Better than a stick in the eye. Keep the opinions comming!!

We did get the rockers on yesterday. Hung both fenders, aligned the cowl. Today were going to put the hood on and hopefull all will align. After a year and a half, it somewhat looks like a truck again.!!
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
BIGKEV

I'll check the storage locker Tuesday or Wednesday, If I have a Cam that will work better for you, you can have it. I have at least 12 cams in there. I've found that the 193 heads work great with the summit 1102 grind. If you do run the cam you have I'd run it 2-4 degrees advanced, and with 1.6 rocker on the exhaust. Those heads respond much better wit more exhaust lift. I understand your budget constraints as I tend to be cheap. Not cheap in the sense that I'll use parts that don't match, more like I'll spend a year gathering the parts I want when they pop up at the price I'm willing to pay. Regardless, best of luck on your build. Oh yeah, your vacuum gauge is going to be critical in getting that combo to act streetable.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
BIGKEV

Also what are you referring to with the 906 vortecs?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
trev1

906's have a hardend seat that extends into the runner that restricts the air flow. the 193 heads do not. Although the 193 heads are not high reving heads they do provide good low end torque and improved fuel mileage above the the older chevrolet heads. True they are NOT trick flow heads, but they are a step up from smog heads. My
cam range is from 2200 to 5800 the heads run out at 5500 thats a pretty close match. I do see what you are talking about on the carb. A 600cfm is probally a better choice than the Holly. I am seriously considerng it. Oh the cams specs are as follows.

230* intake and exaust
480* lift intake and exaust
108* duration
cam has a built in 4* advance
Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #16
BIGKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev1 View Post
906's have a hardend seat that extends into the runner that restricts the air flow. the 193 heads do not. Although the 193 heads are not high reving heads they do provide good low end torque and improved fuel mileage above the the older chevrolet heads. True they are NOT trick flow heads, but they are a step up from smog heads. My
cam range is from 2200 to 5800 the heads run out at 5500 thats a pretty close match. I do see what you are talking about on the carb. A 600cfm is probally a better choice than the Holly. I am seriously considerng it. Oh the cams specs are as follows.

230* intake and exaust
480* lift intake and exaust
108* duration
cam has a built in 4* advance
The 906 heads actually flow just as well as the 062 castings. There was ALLOT of bad info spread around on them a few years back that still lingers today. I'm running 906 heads on my 71, and it pulls hard till about 5700 rpm. I don't know where your info on the 193 heads is coming from, but they stop flowing efficiently about 3500 rpm, the "swirl port" is actually far more of a problem then the old rumors about the 906 vortecs. I've worked 193's before, and even with a ton of work they'll never be close to 906's. The 193's do make good low end torque, but your cam doesn't. I'd look for a better suited cam and worry about the carb later. I've run this cam http://www.crower.com/camshafts/chev...aulic-cam.html with 193 heads with awesome results.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
trev1

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the input I'll look into it, but I'm pretty happy with the combo I've got if it dosent run right its not exactly a permanent thing i can always go back with a lower torquing cam.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
trev1

Well, one thing for sure, I AM NOT an experienced engine builder. The whole dynamics of the head/cam relationship can certinally confuse the heck out of alot of people. We told the engine shop we wanted a motor that had very good low end torque and did not plan to rev the engine much above 5000rpm. This was the combo he came up with. Maybe he was right maybe he was wrong. In any rate it was only bout $80.00 for the cam. If you can explain the relationship differences of the two cams. It would definately be easier at this point to switch them out. Im open for all ideas.

Trevor in SWMO