The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
gotchamel

Non-garaged insurance?

Having a tough time finding insurance{appraised agreed value}for my non-garaged 69.Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
96blazr

Re: Non-garaged insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchamel View Post
Having a tough time finding insurance{appraised agreed value}for my non-garaged 69.Any ideas?
Who is your Daily driver insured with?
Will this be your primary daily driver?
Do you still live at home?
Is it parked on the street?
Does it need restoration of any kind?
Who have you tried for insurance?

Buy a Battery disconnect and install a kill switch, then get in touch with any of them, let them know you have 2 types of anti-theft devices installed. That goes a LONG way in helping get insurance.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Tell them you have a garage.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
gotchamel

Currently with Hartford for an agreed value but getting ready to take all other vehicles and go with another company,they don't insure older vehicles for agreed value.None you see on tv commercials do either and all collectable insurance requires garaged and not really interested in committing fraud.Thanks for the advise and still open to suggestions.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

grundy worldwide!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
96blazr

Quote:
Currently with Hartford for an agreed value but getting ready to take all other vehicles and go with another company,they don't insure older vehicles for agreed value.None you see on tv commercials do either and all collectable insurance requires garaged and not really interested in committing fraud.Thanks for the advise and still open to suggestions.
Unfortunately I only know of two ways to deal with this.
1. Get a Geico or whoever and insure it "non-Antique".
2. Move someplace that has a garage or build one and then get Hagerty or Grundy or whoever.
Like I've said previously, before I bought my current home I lived in a house with a Double car-port. Couldn't get Hagerty to insure me, so I went with Geico just to have it insured. Wasn't the best but it was insured.

Hey, check out Grundy worldwide and see what they say. Couldn't hurt.

Oh and I also agree with your statment about NOT committing fraud. Advise like that nobody needs.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Tell them you have a garage.
I am actually an insurance agent and you need to realize that insurance companies have adjusters come out to investigate claims. If there is any material misrepresentation, they can deny the claim regardless as the insurance should have never been written. I have been doing health insurance for almost 20 years. I tell people that if you are hiding a condition or Rx......they will find out at claim time!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
69sixpackbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
grundy worldwide!
Which was nearly THREE TIMES THE PRICE OF HAGERTY!!!

I got Hagerty for my Bee @ $317.00 p/yr.
I have an enclosed canopy-type garage in my back yard, behind the locked gate.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
yob2kanobe

We use these guys:

http://www.lelandwest.com/
Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
gotchamel

Thanks for the replies but all companies suggested require the truck being in a lockable garage or similiar structure.I am looking for non-garaged insurance for agreed value.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
Hisroth

Quote:
Thanks for the replies but all companies suggested require the truck being in a lockable garage or similiar structure.I am looking for non-garaged insurance for agreed value.
I use a local Farm Bureau office. I know they aren't a vehicle specific insurance group, but they base the premiums on the value I want the vehicle insured for as long as it's at or above the estimated value. They won't let me choose the value if it's below, but I've never had a problem insuring things for over what they are worth with them. I bought a camper for $1200 out of a field and immediately insured it for $6000 while I rebuilt it. I'm sure it's still not worth more than $3500, but I keep it insured at $6000 with no problem. We use them for our house as well and were able to choose how much we wanted to insure our house for as well so we chose 70% of replacement cost, but it's still 100k more than our house is appraised for. I've had great luck with insuring everything through them.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
69sixpackbee

The only "farm bureau" here in sunny so. Cal is the "funny" farm
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I am actually an insurance agent and you need to realize that insurance companies have adjusters come out to investigate claims. If there is any material misrepresentation, they can deny the claim regardless as the insurance should have never been written. I have been doing health insurance for almost 20 years. I tell people that if you are hiding a condition or Rx......they will find out at claim time!
I understand about not being straight with the insurance company and their right to deny. But,when it comes down to it this can be done and in good conscience. The garage only comes into play with damage occuring on your property,which to me is a minor concern and has no ill affect against the company with "while driving" incidences. It's no different than driving the vehicle other than to shows,the repair shop,parades,or whatever restrictions may be in place. My company asks if it is garaged at home or elsewhere. Most people know someone with a garage they could claim they park in. You can still bring the car home and park it in the driveway,just as you would park outside a hotel at a show. I realize that if a tree falls on a vehicle at home with no garage someone who does this is screwed. Like I said,That is a very low risk compared to actual driving.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
69sixpackbee

Just for an example, I just bought insurance for my 1969 1/2, A-12 Dodge Super Bee. I keep it in an enclosed canopy-type garage in my back yard behind a locked gate. It is about as safe as it can be. Even more so because the garage to my house is attached whereas the car canopy is 60 feet away from my house.
I have $65K guaranteed value with $100K/$300K/$25K coverage and no towing (I have AAA Platinum.....Better!) and no more "extras" and the yearly premium is only $317.00 per year!
I was getting bent over by my current insurance carrier (Allstate) for almost $900.00 and less coverage!

Hagerty has "loosened up" their coverages over the years because when I had them about 20 years ago they were not near as lenient about their restrictions and exclusions.

If you live in Cali like I do, opt out of the earthquake coverage of everything. Just another way to get reamed!

Bud
Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I understand about not being straight with the insurance company and their right to deny. But,when it comes down to it this can be done and in good conscience.
Conscience From Wikipedia, Not to be confused with consciousness.
For other uses, see Conscience (disambiguation).

"Conscience is an aptitude, faculty, intuition or judgment of the intellect that distinguishes right from wrong"

Okay we disagree here. To me you are saying that there are ways to lie, mislead or commit a dishonest act and yet walk away from it feeling good like you did the right thing. Not here.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Conscience From Wikipedia, Not to be confused with consciousness.
For other uses, see Conscience (disambiguation).

"Conscience is an aptitude, faculty, intuition or judgment of the intellect that distinguishes right from wrong"

Okay we disagree here. To me you are saying that there are ways to lie, mislead or commit a dishonest act and yet walk away from it feeling good like you did the right thing. Not here.
What I'm saying is a guy who says he has a garage and actually doesn't isn't defrauding or doing anything wrong while driving said vehicle. Not having a garage does not create additional risk on the street. If a tree falls on a classic while it's parked in a driveway because there is no garage to park it in (or a cat claws up the hood or whatever),then obviously there will be no coverage. So,how is the insurance company ripped off? Why should there be a feeling of guilt? Do insurance companies never do anything underhanded? Lets not even go there. Why should a guy put 15-25 thousand dollars into a vehicle and just because he doesn't have a garage he can only insure it while it's driven as some old car with no value? If I was an insurance agent that would bother my conscience to send the guy away with a vehicle not properly insured. Why not just ad a clause that states no coverage for physical damage while parked at home? The fact is,a classic vehicle should be insurable at it's stated value with or without a garage.

Tim

Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I know these are areas that are hard when it comes to the general public and their view of insurance companies. For lack of a better example, why does the guy go to jail when he is drunk and driving his truck while someone blows a stop sign and hits him broadside? It's because he wasn't supposed to be on the road in the first place. I know that is not a real good example but insurance companies tell you right up front was the conditions are for the issuance of insurance. You simply meet those requirements or your don't. You can't pick and chose the ones you want to meet from the ones you don't.

I'm coming up on 20 yrs in the business. In 99.99999% of the cases where someone is unhappy with a claim denial, it's because the agent didn't properly explain the policy and the "benefit triggers" or the insured didn't read the policy once issued. You might be surprised at just how much consumer protection is out there when it comes to insurance. Insurance is nothing more than protecting someone from a risk through a contract. These agreements are not oral, they are in written form. When selling insurance, you must tell the whole story. What that means is telling exactly what the policy will, and more importantly, won't do. If more agents would take the time to really explain the policy rather than sell off the highlight sheet, We'd have a lot more happy people out there. I've never seen an insurance company deny a claim that they were legally responsible for. I have see companies deny a claim that they were not obligated to pay. I've also seem people get really made because they didn't read and understand how the coverage worked. sure it's written in Hebrew but that's why we have insurance agents. Our job is to carefully explain the coverage and how it will work or not work come claim time.

Bottom line is if someone takes out insurance and discloses what they THINK is important and disregards the conditions of issuance, they deserve to be denied at claim. The insurance company shows ever card prior to issuance, the applicant needs to do the same thing.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
flashed

All our insurance rates are higher than they should be due to a lot of fraudulent claims that they have to pay .We are the ones who suffer due to the misuse of insurance by others. I seen numerous times that people would take their autos to the highest shops around for repair estimates and then get a shade tree shop to do the repairs for a third of the cost of the insurance payout. Ive also known of people doing this with their home insurance ,even causing the damage themselves .My wife was an insurance agent for 25 years and she grew to hate it due to people abusing the system. Now Im insurance poor with 7 vehicles and 2 houses but I dont hide anything from my agent as I want his help when or if I need to file a claim. Im not sure what I will do for insurance for my truck after its restored but it will be my daily driver and will be insured as such.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I was just saying you aren't doing anything dishonest when someone hits you while driving on the road and you make a claim when you said you park in a garage and you don't own one. And,when you lie like that you have to accept that you are at risk with no coverage if a mishap occurs at home when parked when the adjuster comes and sees no garage. In both instances that person isn't ripping off the insurance company because the part he lied about is what disqualifies the claim. If a policy holder gets t-boned in an intersection and has their vehicle hauled to a body shop does the adjuster ride by the policy holder's home to see if they have a garage to determine coverage? I see no harm done. If you lie about having a garage you are obviously not covered if something happens at home,even though someone with a garage is,even when the vehicle parked outside the garage. They come out to get washed and other things. Or,if you garage somewhere other than home,you surely will be stopping by the house with it from time to time. You lie,you take a risk. But,your vehicle is covered for it's value while driving and I see nothing wrong with that. I am actually one of the most honest people you will ever meet...brutally honest,in fact.
The very nature of contracts breeds manipulation. That's why insurance companies have lawyers on their payroll. Policyholders are not the only ones who manipulate the written word of a contract,that's for sure.
I see what you are saying. I have a garage,BTW,but have said I parked at my shop 20 miles away when the vehicle sat at my house. My company allows me the option to garage my vehicles elsewhere. There is all kinds of room to fudge on that. You can have a garage and never park in it and when something happens just claim it was one of the rare times it came out. Just like when someone uses their classic to commute to work and if they have an accident they claim they were taking it to get looked at for service.
I owned a cherry low-mile '63 Riviera that I couldn't get classic coverage for because I had no garage. I could only get liability. My wife was carjacked and fortunately allowed to get out at our exit on the interstate. I had just had the car painted and the trunk was full of camping gear we had bought for our kids to go to summer camp. I ended up with nothing,just like that. Fortunately,the crack head got his crack and road back out from the city,on past us about another hour up the interstate. He pulled up to a restaurant,got out,was seen tossing something (my keys) into the bushes,and walked off. The troopers were called and the car was towed. We got called,the car was towed to the Trooper's barricks,I had a locksmith make a key,and had to walk to a gas station for gas since the crack head ran it out,and I took it home. The first thing I did is call my insurance agent and told her I now had a garage to park it in and wanted full coverage. I don't feel the least bit bad about that at all.

Tim

Old 07-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
lil hoodlum

I know this comment isn't at all related about the orginal posters question other than I too would love to get complete coverage for my truck. It is my daily driver and I don't have another vehicle at my disposal nor do I have a garage.

But lets face it about the insurance industry. They are a business. They are in it to make money. If they don't make money off of you then they won't insure you. That is the truth. I haven't had a ticket since 1992. No accidents or claims. Yet every year my premium goes up every year. I am also over the age of 25. Why is that? Am I due for an accident or claim on my policy thus warranting increase in my premiums?

Keith
Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #21
gotchamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
I know this comment isn't at all related about the orginal posters question other than I too would love to get complete coverage for my truck. It is my daily driver and I don't have another vehicle at my disposal nor do I have a garage.

But lets face it about the insurance industry. They are a business. They are in it to make money. If they don't make money off of you then they won't insure you. That is the truth. I haven't had a ticket since 1992. No accidents or claims. Yet every year my premium goes up every year. I am also over the age of 25. Why is that? Am I due for an accident or claim on my policy thus warranting increase in my premiums?

Keith
Yeah things kinda got sidetracked did'nt they.The rate from all the collectable companies is very fair,they just have restrictions and requirements.I have secured some good insurance{Hagerty}and am able to meet the requirements.My future plan is to purchase a 8x20 shipping container,they accept that as a lockable garage.Thanks to everyone for the info and advise{bad and good}.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
flashed

Lil hoodlum ,your only problem is being young and Male . May also be where you live ,like a large city or something like that. I know insurance is a racket and wish it was more affordable. When I was 17 I owned a 77 Black Bandit T/A and my insurance payment was twice as much as the car payment but at the time that was my dream car and I wish I still had it. I remember asking my agent why it was so high and he told me it was being young and male and also a sports car . But in your case I would shop around and see if you could better your rate elsewhere. As far as Insurance companys go ,Hagerty has been great on my classic cars ,Ive had 2 claims and it was easy and painless dealing with them. My homeowners I havent had to deal with a claim yet so it is yet to be determined on that. Another thing that affects us all with insurance is all the people out there driving without any insurance .When they cause or are involved in an accident and the insurance company has to pay it affects all our rates. I have yet to read anyone on here that I thought was dishonest ,I have dealt with several buying parts and have met a few in person. I think most old car and truck people are the most generous and caring people Ive ever met .
Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #23
69heavychevy

I used to have classic insurance with some comapny who name i cant remember, american classic or something like that. I think they merged with someone else eventually...anyways, i told them i had a garage even though i lived in an apartment...my yearly premium was $130. Yea i lied, so what?! I just wanted the cheapest insurance i could get for a vehicle that only gets driven a few times a month. I later found out i could get a cheaper rate with geico if i combined it with my mustang...
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #24
Ryan5O

Ive got USAA and it's running me $180 / 6 months for full coverage. They've got a sister company that quoted me $190 / year for full coverage with a value set at $15,000 with the stipulation that its garaged. Seems fair to me. Its all fun and games screwing with the insurance company until you need one; real bummer then when they catch onto the game. Remember they do this work all day, every day. They know whats going on and give the customer the benefit of the doubt until its time to cut a check; better be squared away at that point. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #25
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69heavychevy View Post
Yea i lied, so what?! ...
I'm guessing you are 18-19? Anyway.......

My Dad was a cop for 27 yrs. Everone hates the cops (figure of speech) until they are pulling you out of a burning car, house or keeping that big guy you pissed off from moving your front teeth to the back.

Bottom line is that insurance companies are not successful because they give you a reason to do business with someone else. Out of ever dollar, they have to pay claims, admin costs, advertisement and agents. Most of you would die to know that each state has a "rates and forms" dept to their insurance division and rate increase MUST BE APPROVED by the state based on loss ratios. As stated above, there is a bunch tacked on to our premiums simply because of fraud and Mr. "yea I lied....so what".
Closed Thread