The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
AL King

Something old somethings new

I have always liked the 67-72 body style better than any other truck I've owned. I acquired a 1970 GMC 3500 series truck a few years ago and have decided to put it back on the road. It has 22000 orig miles on it but sat in a barn since 1975. The engine is/was either a 250 0r 296, with a 4 speed and I think likely a 5:13 or similar rear end.
My intention is to do a frame up rebuild and install a 7.3L engine and tranny from an 89 F350. I intend to run this thing on the highway at 70 MPh and gross weight. I have an 89 f350 with a factory new engine. The previous owner replaced the engine then found out the cab mounts and frame were rotten.
I also have an 89 Sierra 3500 series with a dead ( What's new) 6.2 diesel for a donor, that I intend to take all of the axles and suspension from in order to upgrade the rear axle ratio, weight rating, brakes etc.
The 89 has air cylinders in the front coil springs, which is something I have never seen before. Does anyone know if this is a desirable option or is it a patch for an inadequate front suspension?
How can I find out what the rear axle ratio is in this 89 3500? I know it has 14 bolts on the cover and 12 leaf springs in the suspension. I will post some pictures when I get the frame ready and the orphan engine mounted.
I'm doing this because Ford don't make a chassis you can keep the front wheels aligned on. Chrysler can't seem to supply a tranny or front end that stays together and GM haven't made a real successfull diesel in a light truck although theve been trying for years.
So I've decided to take the best of a few and build something, probably a Frankenstien.

Al

Al
AL King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Something old somethings new

Sounds like a great project. Let's see some pictures of that truck.