The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2003, 03:21 PM   #1
jewels.

jewels. (aka Diesel Queen) goofs again - "I don't think so!"

ok - my brother originally posted a thread on the wrong board (on the parts board) talking about how i goofed again.....

and I say - NO I DIDN'T --- at least not that much.....

but I have re-posted this thread to make things clear, and to put it on the right board....

-----------------------------------

Ok - my little brother jumped the gun. I did NOT goof. I just changed the U-joints in my drive shaft. Pulled the drive shaft, took it to the shop, had them change out the joints. Changed the tranny seal while I was at it. Put the drive shaft back in. Then.....

screeeech, clank, screeech, clank.... etc, etc

Well, turns out that I scratched the inside of the transmission housing. The scratch was off center enough that it pressed on the rear transmission seal, so that the rear seal rubbed one side of the slip yolk. (Did I say that correctly, little bro?) I am still not sure that this was the entire problem, because the scratching was really really wierd. Anyways...

My brother has gotten a name on the board now, so he can continue to make fun of my little mistakes. (What are little brother for anyways?)

Here is a pic of my little bro (a former mechanic) - helping me remove one end of the U-Joints from the drive shaft so we could figure out what was wrong with the transmission and slip yolk.

More pics to follow.

fine69, a big thanks to you once again because you suggested that this resonating vibration in my truck was due to the U-joints. And, of course, you were 100% correct. You thought I was driving a new truck a few weeks ago (after the ohio meet) --- you should feel it now. It feels like driving one of those spankin new cars right off of the car lot!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!

I'm still in the middle of other projects for improvements too. More to come....

jewels.

Ok - bro - now you can chime in......
Old 08-19-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
watchamakalit

Edit to satisfy my sis:Just so no one gets offended I am Jewels little bro and am new to this board. I'm not trying to offend or upset any one it was just a little ribbing aimed at my big sis if any one was offended or upset in any way I wish to offer my deepest condolenses. Hope this helps to smooth things over.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:26 PM   #3
jewels.

oh my, here we go --- my brother just loves to pick on me -- he believes that i know nothing -- or very little - when it comes to these trucks --- oh well....

anyways, as promised, here are more pics....

the yolk is not damaged all the way around it --- but only scratched on one side --- it is indented on one side, can you see it?

how the heck did this happen?

not sure...

And, if my brother continues to make fun of me, and my mistakes, here is a mistake he made --- he dropped that driveshaft on his pinky finger --- smashed the finger between the shaft and his vice ---- here he is sitting with his finger under the cold water, trying to keep the swelling down! Love ya bro!

ciao!
jewels.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2003, 03:27 PM   #4
watchamakalit

Don't make me break out the baby pics
Old 08-19-2003, 03:33 PM   #5
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by watchamakalit
Don't make me break out the baby pics
Please do.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:33 PM   #6
jewels.

hmm - forgot to mention that my little brother thinks he is a jeep lover, but don't worry, i'll convert him soon. he was already helping me pick out my trucks in the junkyard this weekend! he will convert, he just doesn't know it yet! shhhhhh.

jewels.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:43 PM   #7
jakobs71chevy

yea i was pulled into tht jeep thing too 4 a while. rebuilt a 78 cj5 till i figure out tht the guys who designed it didnt have a clue so i got a 98 tj and tht was fun but now its back to chevy never should have left. just keep on him he'll convert to the dark side
Old 08-19-2003, 03:48 PM   #8
jewels.

oh - dont worry - i will!

in the junkyard --- i asked him --- "are you checking out the options sheets on those jeeps?" --- he says "i dont know where they are --- dont even know if they have them" --- and i said ---"then what in the world do you people talk about on your jeep board? naked chics and beer?"

i think he will come around --- there is so much info on this board compared to his --- it is a goldmine that cannot be ignored!

jewels.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:50 PM   #9
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Quote:
---"then what in the world do you people talk about on your jeep board? naked chics and beer?"
What's wrong with that?

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:51 PM   #10
watchamakalit

NEVER!!!!!!!

Edit:

whats wrong with naked chicks and beer?

besides anyone who ownes a true Jeep (must have round headlights and leaf springs) knows there won't be an option sheet left cause it fell through the floorboard along time ago.

Last edited by watchamakalit; 08-19-2003 at 03:54 PM.
watchamakalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:51 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

childhood rilvary...very fun stuff. I rag on my baby sister every day, and if I miss a day, i double up the next day.
Jewels, on your slip yolk, you say you took it to a shop, you are talking a buisness and not a place your brother was at, right?
Whats the odds (and does it look like) it could be from a hammer? Maybe some one swinging at the U-joint and missed?
I don't have a pic, but my longhorn driveshaft is pretty well kerfagled, almost beyond repair. I left it at Mike's (fine69) and he said he should be able to do something about it.
That is about the only thing I can think of that would leave a mark on the yolk like that off the top of my head. Well, that adn dropping it off the back of a truck.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #12
Fleetlover

Naughty naughty

I second the naked chicks and beer
resto started now suspended
1884 victorian home Current
restoration project
1997 GMC Sierra Z71
1973 Harley FLH undressed
1949 male body somewhat abused
but still starts most mornings
Fleetlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #13
gr8scott51

little brother or..

little bother?

That's what my daughter calls her younger brother (he is NOT littler).

Scott
Old 08-19-2003, 03:58 PM   #14
watchamakalit

long horn

she said these chevy trucks were so tuff they could take anything and I have hammered on my JEEP driveshaft many a time with no ill results.

No really the slip yoke was already damaged before the pic and i ended up mising the driveshaft and hitting my knee.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:59 PM   #15
nu2-72

Or, removing the rear joint and having it hang from the tranny by the yolk? They may have dropped it as mentioned.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:59 PM   #16
jakobs71chevy

yea my son even gets in on pickin on my sister. she called the other night and he asked to talk to her like usual then he says "im gonna kick ur butt" then hangs up. all in family fun
Old 08-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #17
jewels.

longhornmail,

yeah - i took out the drive shaft, and took it into a napa store to have the u-joints replaced. all they did was put the joints in. i think the damage was done by me when i pulled the rear tranny seal. i think i put the seal puller (the tool my brother loaned me) into the hole in the transmission too far, and scratched up the housing. the scratch stuck out towards the rear end of the truck, and caused the spring inside the rear seal to not seat properly (at least i think). then, on the test drive, you could hear the yolk being scratched / scraped. it was obvious that i did the damage - however it happened. the yold was damaged after i got it back from the shop. the only problem is, its tough to tell what was happening inside the truck while we were driving it. at one point, my brother was walkin alongside the truck while i drove it slowly down the driveway - so that he could pinpoint the nasty noise.

but even if that is what happened (the yolk being scratched by the tranny housing), its strange that the marks on the yolk do not run the entire circumference of the yolk. they are only on one side of the yolk. i would expect marks all the way around.

to fix the problem, my brother took a flat-nosed punch, and tapped the suspect pieces of metal flat so that they were no longer sticking out towards the rear end. the problem disappeared, but i'm not sure either of us know about the exact problem.

i was somewhat worried about using this yolk because of the damage (can you see it in the pic? its tough) - but it is working so far --- my bro reassures me that its fine --- he is a 4x4'er - so he needs a good yolk, but i really dont flex my frame that much - so it probably wont matter.

(fingers crossed)

jewels.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #18
watchamakalit

In my defense I said it won't leak at the seal because the portion of the yolk that is damaged was sitting further inside the transmission so the seal was still riding on the ok part of the yolk.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:19 PM   #19
Longhorn Man

Oh jewels...I have been meaning to say something...
At Mike's house, when i told you I fixed your brake warning light, I did tell you that all I did was unplug it from the proportioning valve didn't I?
Old 08-19-2003, 04:24 PM   #20
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by longhornmail
Oh jewels...I have been meaning to say something...
At Mike's house, when i told you I fixed your brake warning light, I did tell you that all I did was unplug it from the proportioning valve didn't I?

LMAO!!!!!

yes - you told me on the test drive --- and i remember that you unplugged it.....

i have since plugged it back in --- still cant find any leaks, still cant find a problem --- my brother keeps thinking that it is a bad proportioning valve or something.... go figure

thanks for the reminder!

jewels.

oh - p.s. - you changed your avatar!! thats some vehicle there!
Old 08-19-2003, 07:26 PM   #21
Blue_71
Bloo

you want a new yoke jewels? ive got 2 if you need one
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:11 PM   #22
Class of 69

That damage to the yoke did not happen from you "scratching" the inside of the tailshaft!!! That is long term wear. There is a soft bushing inside the tailhousing that may be worn thru, allowing the yoke to rub on the tailhousing itself. You did not say what trans you have, but if it is a 3 speed, the tailhousing is cast, and will wear the yoke like that. The bushing also has a reverse swirl to it to prevent the lube from following the yoke out while spinning. You need to check the condition of the bushing, and replace the yoke, and put in a new seal. Make sure the seal is squarely bottomed on the tailhousing so it isn't cocked to one side, which will cause a leak.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:28 PM   #23
watchamakalit

Hey glad to here a tech response on here I can safely say she has a 3-speed and what you are describing would agree with what I saw. I am not trying to speak for my sis or anything like that. We also put a new seal in after see here old seal (or lack there of) was null and void. I am just curious is the bushing in the tailhousing a replaceable part? Like mentioned above I dable mostly in 4x4's. And Mudder I must say has a very nice truck!! Even if it wears a bowtie. Before I get flamed for saying that let me say that if god hadn't blessed me with a Jeep I would probably wheel in a blazer.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:05 PM   #24
Longhorn Man

God was the head of AMC???
That would make many MANY people stop going to church.
But it would proove that he (god) has a sence of humor though. (then again, one look at my mother in law would tell you about god's sence of humor!!)
Old 08-19-2003, 11:19 PM   #25
Class of 69

Yes, the bushing is replaceable. It needs to be pulled out with a puller, and driven back in with a correct size driver. It may be easier to remove the tail shaft to effect the replacement. The worn yoke will work...the only consequence will be a wobble in the bushing, and if you replace the bushing, the worn yoke will wear the new one prematurely. Good Luck!! Oh....longhornmail...I take it your wife wasn't present for your last post!!!