The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
pickupman96

Coolant push out of the radiator?

On 89 gmc 1 ton keeps pushing all the coolant out. I will fill it up, put the cap back on and it will push all the coolant out of the system in a couple of days. Not just some, it will blow it all out. With the cap off and it running it will suck it down 3-4 inches and then spit it back out the neck. Im going to go put a new t-stat and rad cap on it right now but what else could it be and why. Thanks in advance for the help.
96 K-1500, 6 inch lift, 178k still going strong
pickupman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Desert1957

Re: Coolant push out of the radiator?

If its not overheating , possible Air Lock in the engine. Try disconnecting a heater hose off the intake manifold when you refill the radiator, might help to purge air out of the engine block, If No air comes out change the Thermostat.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
MilkyJoe

mine did this, it was a combination of a bad thermostat, gummed up lines, and a lil air. I 'burped' it every other day, as I was going through coolant every other day.

Finally blew a head gaskt but the truck sat for 12 years before I started using it as a DD.

Put new head gaskets on, new collant lines, thermostat and radiator, truck cools perfectly now and hasn't used a drop

Hope this helps, remember K I S S. do the little stuff before it turns into a biggie like mine.
MilkyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Littletony

How old is the cap and is it the right cap for the truck? Mine was doing this two until I replaced the radiator cap. That was a little over two years ago and I have not had a problem since.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" ..............Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Littletony is offline   Reply With Quote