The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Dads64

Crossmember ?

Guys, I am a complete newb to restoring vehicles and I am sorry if this is a stupid question.

But, I have been working on getting my frame all cleaned up for weeks and going through about a billion pictures on here to try and learn as I go. Anyway, I ahve noticed that I never see the Parking Brake crossmember still on the frames. Does anyone reuse it or is it useless once you upgrade the brakes and what not?

Thanks,
Jay
Dads64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Crossmember ?

Nope, there are no stupid questions

Well what you have seen can be a number of things. It could be that the truck you have seen is not finished. Also, often times it is because the owner has changed to an auto trans and either is not finished with the installation, or has not figured out how to make the parking brake work with the trans crossmember he used. Another is the fact that starting in '66, GM did away with the crossmember and uses an intermediate cable instaed of the crossmember.

A parking/emergency brake is required in some states whether the vehicle has an auto or manual trans. However some guys don't feel the need for one with an auto trans. The need for one does not change with a brake upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads64 View Post
Guys, I am a complete newb to restoring vehicles and I am sorry if this is a stupid question.

But, I have been working on getting my frame all cleaned up for weeks and going through about a billion pictures on here to try and learn as I go. Anyway, I ahve noticed that I never see the Parking Brake crossmember still on the frames. Does anyone reuse it or is it useless once you upgrade the brakes and what not?

Thanks,
Jay
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Dads64

Thanks for the info. I took it out to clean it and the frame, I guess I will see if it is needed with my rear disc brake conversion.

Now to just figure out what Trans and trans mount I want in this thing LOL.

Jay
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Nope, there are no stupid questions

Well what you have seen can be a number of things. It could be that the truck you have seen is not finished. Also, often times it is because the owner has changed to an auto trans and either is not finished with the installation, or has not figured out how to make the parking brake work with the trans crossmember he used. Another is the fact that starting in '66, GM did away with the crossmember and uses an intermediate cable instaed of the crossmember.

A parking/emergency brake is required in some states whether the vehicle has an auto or manual trans. However some guys don't feel the need for one with an auto trans. The need for one does not change with a brake upgrade.
Cap'nfab, any idea what would be needed to convert from the earlier crossmember style and the '66 no crossmember E brake?
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will need to change everything from the cable in the cab, back. There will be an intermediate cable, and different cables that come from each rear wheel. There are also a couple hooks on the frame, as well as a rod and a couple other pieces on the passenger side. This style was used from '66-'72. While I don't care for LMC, they usually have good pics in their catalog that will show the pieces needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Smith View Post
Cap'nfab, any idea what would be needed to convert from the earlier crossmember style and the '66 no crossmember E brake?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads64 View Post

Thanks,
Jay
Hay Jay...
No such things a "Stupid" question. That's how we all learn

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Dads64

HAHA, good because I will most likely blow this site up with questions over the coming months.

Thanks,
Jay