The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
CRGRS 66

Side Trim Removal

Can anyone tell me how the side trim comes off? I don't see any reference to this in the manuals.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
jac70ss

Re: Side Trim Removal

I think they are spring clips for the most part. pinch them on the back side and gently wiggle them out. there may be screws on each end of the door chrome that will need to be taken out. be patient with the clips, pliers may be need to squeeze them from the back side. good luck.
jac70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
MisterC

Some parts are held on with spring-loaded clips.others have threaded nuts. You need to access the back of each, either way, to keep from damaging them during the removal process.
Posted via Mobile Device
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

fenders and cab corners are all threaded nuts, the back one on the fender is easier to get to if you loosen the fender for some hand space, and use a ratcheting wrench.
doors and bed sides are all push on clips, the later trucks are plastic, the earlier have a metal style.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
CRGRS 66

I have a 66, and I am specifically wanting to remove the top piece of trim on the driver door. The clips are plastic, I am not sure how to get the clips to release, and don't want to damage it any more than it is already damaged.

Do I need to access these from inside of the door?

A quick how to, and a pic or two, would be appreciated so much!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

pull off your inner door panel, take off the inside door mechanism, so you can get your arm in the hole. use a pair of pliers to squish the inside of the clip and push out.if you get a few off one end, you should be able to slide the trim off the rest.
don't try to save the clips. they are cheap to replace, and if you try to save them you will screw up your trim.. I have found that they are pretty much a one time use clip ( the plastic ones)
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
pull off your inner door panel, take off the inside door mechanism, so you can get your arm in the hole. use a pair of pliers to squish the inside of the clip and push out.if you get a few off one end, you should be able to slide the trim off the rest.
don't try to save the clips. they are cheap to replace, and if you try to save them you will screw up your trim.. I have found that they are pretty much a one time use clip ( the plastic ones)
Thanks a million for dumbing it down for me! I can change the door control while I am in there.