The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
FAT TONY

oh oh

alright so I was messing around with my transmission (3 speed muncie) and i somehow well um i took it apart and now i don't know hot to put it back together, well all i really did was unbolt the main trans from the tail and cant fit them back in together but other than that its all ok, i opened it up to look for a little green gear the got lost in there it went to the speedometer i think so all i really want to do is either open it up completely to get the gear out or put it back together any step by step tutorials or something? may i just add that im 17 and it was my first time really playing around with a transmission so no body get mad at me
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Arrow Re: oh oh

Exploded view of the Muncie 3-speed (83mm) manual transmission:
Exploded view of the Saginaw 3-speed manual transmission:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...96b43f80cb0d19
Attached Images

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
CRGRS 66

Re: oh oh

Hey FT, let us know how you make out on this. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, you are of the internet age, you can find just about anything you can think of on the internet. Plan ahead on what you are working on, look for related threads on here. Whatever task you are going to take on, it has been done, and been done to varying degrees of success in different ways. Nobody here will get mad at you, I am sure that I speak for most if not all of us in saying "it is great to see a young guy taking an interest these old trucks".
So, take your time, work smart not hard, research what you are going to do, and seek help, here and everywhere. Another idea would be to find some local cruise nights, go and befriend some guys with 60-72 trucks.

Hope you get things figured out, don't be afraid to post questions, and if you like, you can PM me directly.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
oem4me

From here forward, when you are going to take something apart, slow down and take pics. lots of pics as it comes apart. Notes and marks on stuff if needed and videos too if you need to watch it come apart to get it back together. You can also use ziplock sandwich bags and a sharpie to keep individual items sorted and numbered for assembly sequence. If you get it all back together and you have stuff leftover, that's bad. lol.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If the pinched nerve in my neck lightens up, in the morning I’ll scan and post the entire 3 speed manual transmission rebuilding section from the 1960 Chevy Truck Shop Manual. This will explain everything you need to know for repair. If your transmission does not have a synchronized 1st gear, you trans should be identical and this information will be completely accurate.

Don’t be too intimidated because of youth and inexperience. I rebuilt my first 3 speed at the age of 16 with no tech support of any kind. I also gained much more experience after I modified a Dragfast shifter from a 57 Chevy and installed it on my 54 sedan. I could power shift that poor old 3 speed so fast I broke 12 more transmissions during my senior year of high school. Kind of like a 1 barrel carburetor, if you have to learn about manual transmissions, these are the easiest type to get started on.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

This should help. Any other questions just ask, we’re here to help:

Old 06-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
1963c-10

Hope it all works out for you.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
FAT TONY

Thanks Craigerr as soon as i couldn't put it back together i went and looked in here fro some help put didnt find any old post were they had the same problem so i made this one also I help out at a local body shop were the owner as a 64 Short fleetside he's been working on for almost 9 years the only thing it needs now is the bigblock and trans he has sitting right next to it but he just doesnt have time to put it on, I often ask him about things seeing as we have the same truck and its very helpful cause he told me when i get ready to work on body i can take my truck there and use all the tools i want and yes i do plan on taking pictures from now on, i got a container full of bolts from when i removed my trans and clutch good thing is most of them are around the same size and 9/16 so im pretty sure they are interchangeable but other than that i hope i have no leftovers when i put in the new clutch
and mark thanks for the rebuild pics I have saved them for future reference Hopefully ill rebuild my engine and trans some time this summer but for now i have gotten the trans back together after about two hours fighting with it at first it would bolt up but the shaft wouldn't spin unless it was loose but after taking out that plastic gear for the speedometer it worked just like before , hopefully when i get it back in the truck it will work..... also i was wondering if yall could help me identify my trans i was told before it was a muncie but yesterday one of the guys at the shop told me its a saginaw i will upload pics later today
Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
CRGRS 66

Hey "FT" how are you progressing, hope you are making good progress on this.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
1964c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
From here forward, when you are going to take something apart, slow down and take pics. lots of pics as it comes apart. Notes and marks on stuff if needed and videos too if you need to watch it come apart to get it back together. You can also use ziplock sandwich bags and a sharpie to keep individual items sorted and numbered for assembly sequence. If you get it all back together and you have stuff leftover, that's bad. lol.
That's bad? I just figure i can build the same thing with fewer parts than the manufacturer did lol!
1964 C20 custom cab, long fleetside bed, big back window, 4 on the floor

Disclaimer- anything posted is only based on my personal experience, opinions, and advice given by others. There are no implied or written warranties or guarantees with anything posted on this website.
1964c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
Dino Driver

Too bad it's not a granny gear 4 speed, I have a rebuild kit for one
Dino Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
FAT TONY

Thanks for asking craiger everything came out good 'I hope" just need the new clutch and ill put the trans back in to see if it still works properly just wondering though does any one know what these two letters might stand for? they were on the bottom of the trans i tried scrubbing them out but i guess they were permanent or something

By the way this is how it turned out after cleaning it up a bit kinda regret it seeing as i now realize its going to get scratched up pretty bad when i go back to putting it back in

Old 06-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
CRGRS 66

By the way this is how it turned out after cleaning it up a bit kinda regret it seeing as i now realize its going to get scratched up pretty bad when i go back to putting it back in

Nah, just touch it up after it's in. Don't forget to use some bolts/studs on the top two bolt holes to guide it in, it should seriously cut down on the inevitable cussing

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
FAT TONY

haha ill make sure to do that... nd man if this is the less heavy Saginaw id hate to imagine how heavy them muncies must be