The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
brap999

Can someone help me determine how much I'm lowered?

The previous owner lowered my truck, and I'm trying to figure out how much the front has been lowered. Near as I can tell he did it by cutting the springs, as they look old, and certainly aren't aftermarket.

The bottom of my front bumper sits about 10.5 - 11 inches off the ground when measured from the center of the bumper.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
purebred

Re: Can someone help me determine how much I'm lowered?

You got to be kidding
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Torqueforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
You got to be kidding
Thats helpful...
I'm in the same boat, the previous owner of my truck cut/heated the coils to drop it and I really like the ride height it's at but I plan on getting new coils and want to keep it at the same ride height. Any stock ride height measurements for comparison?
Torqueforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
jsdoyle

Quote:
You got to be kidding
You know, what may be such a simple thing for the experts on here to know how much a truck has been lowered it's not that simple to some of us that are new truck owners.

I'm in the same boat. I've always wanted a truck and finally was able to get mine. Since I don't have the resources or time to restore a truck like a lot of the guys on here (and you guys are awesome) I bought one that has already been restored and lowered. The PO did not give me the specifics on how much it was lowered. I bought it because I like how it looked and wasn't concerned with the small details.

Since finding this site I've been reading as much as I can and learning a lot but there are still a lot of things that are over my head just as things I do professionally would be over the heads of some of the experts on here.

I'm sure I've already asked some pretty crazy questions on here but we have to start somewhere. Just bear with us until we can get up to speed.

I'm sure someone has the design specs of a new 60-66 truck. It's probably here somewhere in fact I think I saw them in a thread somewhere.

I've got a question too that some will roll their eyes at. What the hell are drop spindles? Or how can you tell you have them? Not trying to hijack the original question as I do know they also help to lower the truck.
jsdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Sillyoldman

Quote:
You got to be kidding
Thats not real helpful. Please refrain from trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueforce View Post
Thats helpful...
I'm in the same boat, the previous owner of my truck cut/heated the coils to drop it and I really like the ride height it's at but I plan on getting new coils and want to keep it at the same ride height. Any stock ride height measurements for comparison?
Can you post a picture of you truck for a visual comparison? I'm sure others will be able to give you a good opinion based on what they have done to their trucks.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
scum1

a couple things to help identify might be 1) do you have drum or disc brakes in the front? ( help rule out drop spindles) 2) is the back lowered at all? if its not the front measurements may not be "accurate" as it will change if you lower the rear as well..as someone said earlier, there are stock measurements somewhere on here. 3) are there still many coils, but they are just really compressed? could of been heated up..someone chime in with some measurements, we were all here once before!!!! good luck with your truck!

oh and to answer the drop spindle question..the drop spindles locate the mounting point of the wheel 2 1/2 inches higher up than the original spindle, in turn making the truck sit lower. the advantage to these is an instant drop, while keeping original suspension geometry the same.
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
purebred

Sorry about the trolling, was a little despondent on a personal level and took it out on you, Sorry again.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
jsdoyle

Quote:
Sorry about the trolling, was a little despondent on a personal level and took it out on you, Sorry again.
We all have bad days. No problem from me.

Thanks for answering my question on the drop spindles. I had a feeling it was something like that. I don't think I have them although I do have front disc brakes. I have about 4 inches of clearance between the road and the front suspension. My coil springs have been replaced front and back.
jsdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Slow Build

It's hard to tell you how much it's lowered with just a bumper measurement. To many variables measured from the ground to bumper (tire size, rake...). If you measure from the fender lip to the center of the hub it makes it easier to answer your question. Pictures help too.

Mine is lowered 4" or 5" in front and about 6" in the rear (cut springs by PO so I'm not quite sure myself).
Attached Images

Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Torqueforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
It's hard to tell you how much it's lowered with just a bumper measurement. To many variables measured from the ground to bumper (tire size, rake...). If you measure from the fender lip to the center of the hub it makes it easier to answer your question. Pictures help too.

Mine is lowered 4" or 5" in front and about 6" in the rear (cut springs by PO so I'm not quite sure myself).
Mine is 18 inch in the front 16 inches in the back measured the same way yours was, sounds pretty close to stock LOL, mine is a stepside though, the rear fender flares might be at different heights than fleet.
Torqueforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Fastest32

Hey torque force, what part of Austin are you in? I live south. Post some pics dude!!
Posted via Mobile Device

GO SPURS GO!!!
Fastest32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post

That's a good point.
Just like that other thread where the member asked why it dropped so far.
But once he dropped the rear also, it brought the front back up to where he expected it.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
b2948kevin

My truck is a 66 long stepside. Measured as Slow Build describes, originally, it was 18 1/4" in the front and 16 1/4" in the back. I put drop spindles on the front and it went to about 16 1/2". I then cut a coil out of the springs in the front and it went to 14".

Check my build thread if you want some up close pictures of what these components look like.
b2948kevin is offline   Reply With Quote