The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
chevytruckclassics

how much trouble is an A/C conversion?

i have a 67 chevy thats soon to be 4x4 and i was just wondering how much trouble it is to put A/C in it since it only has heat.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
steelhorse

Re: how much trouble is an A/C conversion?

Depends upon your skill level and weather or not you by a kit.I would buy a vintage air or similar complete kit.I will probably take you a good day or so.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckclassics View Post
i have a 67 chevy thats soon to be 4x4 and i was just wondering how much trouble it is to put A/C in it since it only has heat.
If you can make a 4X4 from a 2wd, you probably have the skill to install a kit like Vintage Air.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckclassics View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
Depends upon your skill level and weather or not you by a kit.I would buy a vintage air or similar complete kit.I will probably take you a good day or so.
I converted my non-AC cab to a AC cab and used all factory or factory-like parts. I guess if I had more money than time I'd buy a "kit" like vintage air or similar but since I'm destined to be a working man until my own funeral I converted to a factory style set-up.

Based on what your used parts cost, you can do a factory system for $300-$500. All those aftermarket kits are north of $1000. I read one post on here where a guy laid out something like $1200 and still needed to go buy other stuff.

I don't mean to knock the aftermarket kits but just make sure you price out everything you need before you go one way or the other.

I did a post a while back with a pretty complete parts list to go with a stock system. Check it out at:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478564
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I converted my non-AC cab to a AC cab and used all factory or factory-like parts. I guess if I had more money than time I'd buy a "kit" like vintage air or similar but since I'm destined to be a working man until my own funeral I converted to a factory style set-up.

Based on what your used parts cost, you can do a factory system for $300-$500. All those aftermarket kits are north of $1000. I read one post on here where a guy laid out something like $1200 and still needed to go buy other stuff.
All in I have about $2000 in the Vintage Air system I installed.
Posted via Mobile Device
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
All in I have about $2000 in the Vintage Air system I installed.
Posted via Mobile Device
There you go. $2000 verses about $500 (or less). A $2000 kit is about a one day job. To do it the factory way you'll spend a week or two locating and purchasing stuff off a used vehicle then time waiting for the stuff you mail ordered to arrive. Of course the mail order time is probably a wash with the $2000 all-in-one box kit.

Then you'll need a weekend to cut and weld on the firewall then probably the next weekend bolting on parts and vacuuming then charging the system.

Oh if you go used, flush the stuff BEFORE you install it. I had my stuff on the truck because I was too lazy to take it all back off after the mock-up stage. Blowing mineral spirits through used parts makes quite a mess when you're trying to keep it from blowing all over under the hood of your truck.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote